The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 165 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

There is no panic, and the guy is very likeable.

I just don`t think he is very good.

I find us boring to watch, we occasionally pull out a decent performance ( Wolves, Blues, Brentford ) then we have dross afterwards.

Cannot see a plan as players are thrown together out of position most games.

Our youth are pushed aside for other teams reserves, so no forward thinking and motivation vanishing for the kids.

And i hate that we isolate the one forward so much, and to isolate RHM is just a waste of time as he is 4ft tall.

We have had 2 decent runs under him last season, and i cannot remember being confident in hardly any of those games.

I can handle losing, i can handle getting bummed out of a cup by teams that we should smash.

But this bloke ( as i said nice guy and deserves respect for what he has been through ) just is not going to get us anywhere.

In my opinion.

I think the squad is bloated and players like Elphick, Lansbury and the kids, know that they are not in contention. This leads to demotivating them and has a wider effect on the squad overall.

Others have mentioned the signings of Axel & Onomah and the fact that they have opportunities above and beyond the likes of Bree & O'Hare.

We also have had, and continue to have, guys in the squad that have downed tools (McCormack). SB seems to have his chosen few and the rest don't get a look in. To my mind we are developing another unhealthy environment. All SB goes on about is being short of players - he has not improved one of the players in that squad and continues to require more, but there is no strategy to his signings. Two new wingers to get balls in the box to a forward line that does not thrive on crosses.

We've seen this before at Sunderland and read the Guardian article. Think there is a very real danger that his philosophy is come full circle. Muddled thinking will be the death of him, I see it as "when" not "if" the owners decide to make a change.

Others have suggested the paucity of opposition does not scare them in this league, but we have failed to beat the very worst of them at home. Does anybody seriously think teams will fear coming to Villa Park after the Reading debacle? Yes we should have won, but we didn't, and we looked decidedly average.

I have heard from several posters that Steve Bruce is a good man-manager. I would like to know where this knowledge comes from, simply because he hasn't managed to man-manage Taylor out of the depression he's been in since he was involved in that tackle.
A bit of empathy and an arm around his shoulder's and insurances that it was a horrendous accident but, an accident none the less and that the player hurt is back playing again, should do wonders on setting Taylor back on the road to being the fullback he was.

I have heard from several posters that Steve Bruce is a good man-manager. I would like to know where this knowledge comes from, simply because he hasn't managed to man-manage Taylor out of the depression he's been in since he was involved in that tackle.
A bit of empathy and an arm around his shoulder's and insurances that it was a horrendous accident but, an accident none the less and that the player hurt is back playing again, should do wonders on setting Taylor back on the road to being the fullback he was.

How do you know he hasnt done all that with Taylor? If its affected him that much it would take far more than a simple arm around the shoulder and a quick chat.
Hes gained a reputation for being a good man manager as plenty of his ex-players have said so. There will always be 1 or 2 who dont agree, but they are always players he has dropped.

I will add that our new owners didn't get their amount of money by being indecisive and nice.

I would imagine they are ruthless in their business dealings and I don't think they will mess about if they aren't happy .
Equally they won't knee jerk react to blips . Things will be planned properly , they won't follow the Tom Fox model I'm sure

How do you know he hasnt done all that with Taylor? If its affected him that much it would take far more than a simple arm around the shoulder and a quick chat.
Hes gained a reputation for being a good man manager as plenty of his ex-players have said so. There will always be 1 or 2 who dont agree, but they are always players he has dropped.

That simple arm around the shoulder can work wonders as a first step to re-habilitating someone garygary but, it needs to be followed up so the original message is reinforced.
If the ones who disagree are players he's dropped and presumably binned, I'd guess they far outnumber those who reckon he's a good man-manager by quite a way.

Remember when football was fun?

Now we lose one game and all of the players are shit and the manager needs firing. It's not just us, every team in the country expects to over achieve in every second of every match.

The performances have been diabolical for a while now. Forget this season, look at the final, in fact , look at the Semi Final, play for a draw at Boro, nick a goal from a set piece, then defend for give or take 140 minutes. Then there was the no show of Millwall, the bore draw v Derby etc... etc.....

This isn't just one or two games, it is 8 or 9 - and it is getting worse.

But, that isn't the thing that has narked me.

During the financial meltdown I said, I was excited seeing the likes of Green, OHare and Clark given their chance - and what happens, all he wants to do is ship them out.

Before his injury, Green was probably the most exciting prospect I had seen since Tony Daley. Taking players on, whipping balls in, 25 yards shots banging off the post and bar - now granted, he had an injury but why on earth does Bruce think "it is best for his development for him to go on loan" - why ? - what would be best for his development is to play against Burton in the cup, show him some faith. I know he has been poor from the bench, but as is always said - match fitness at this time is key, how on earth can you get match fit playing 5 minutes.

Green should have been on the team sheet day one, and , after starting like a train at the Villa, as soon as he had other options, Bruce dropped Davis like a stone. So why would I think it wil be any different for O'Hare, who, to me, has shown more than Grealish did at the same age.

Nope, lets not blood them, lets ship em off and get a few more 30 year olds in on loan.

I honestly thought due to the circumstances, we would see a new, vibrant, attacking, pacey Villa this year. What I have been served is the same old slow slow hoof, fall, free kick, cross from players with very little pace and not much skill.

I don't want it any more.

I said after Saturday - 4 points minimum from the next two games or he should be gone. If we don't get any Saturday, we shouldn't even wait for the other.

I really like Steve - but he has totally lost me (and judging by the 1660 fans there last night, he has lost the vast majority

Cannot understand why people keep mentioning Leeds, how many games has the bloke been in charge? I can safely predict that Leeds will not even be in the playoffs let alone going up automatically.

I don't give a monkeys about Leeds, Boro, Albion, Blues or Newport County.

What I care about is the Villa - and what I have seen this season is not acceptable - simple

And sending our younger players who should be given a chance ahead of some of the wasters that have been is totally criminal.

It can't be done because if you lose 2 games, the club is in crisis and you get sacked. So instead, you sign a 27 year old who couldn't do it at Espanyol because at least he has been around the block a few times.

Look at the situation at Man Utd. Won 1 lost 2 and all the speculation is about when Mourinho is getting sacked and who the next manager will be.

I'm not sure when football fans became so entitled and indecent toward the teams they 'support' but it makes me question myself as a fan.

It can't be done because if you lose 2 games, the club is in crisis and you get sacked. So instead, you sign a 27 year old who couldn't do it at Espanyol because at least he has been around the block a few times.

Look at the situation at Man Utd. Won 1 lost 2 and all the speculation is about when Mourinho is getting sacked and who the next manager will be.

I'm not sure when football fans became so entitled and indecent toward the teams they 'support' but it makes me question myself as a fan.
This isn't a reaction to this season. This is a reaction to two years in post and all the turgid football that has been played in between. We all agree (I think) that we have some decent players. People have also suggested that this league ain't great. Therefore we should stand out as a beacon of positive football and yet, we ain't pulling up any trees.

We know the players can perform, we have seen sporadic evidence of this against Wolves, Norwich & Bristol (all at home). Can't remember an away game we crushed off the top of my head.

The expectation to compete in this league (and look as if we are one of the favourites) isn't hysterical by any stretch of the imagination. Have said before, Bruce will get us to the play-offs. If that is the sum total of our ambition, as one of the founding and highly decorated members, then I for one will state my displeasure. I want to watch football, support my team and be proud of them. I find that some on here are overly apologetic for the failings that we all see. Don't came back with stats about how great we are at home, how many promotions Bruce has had because what I see hurts my eyes - lazy, ponderous hoof ball that belongs back in the 80s. We can criticise Cardiff all we like, but there was pace, power and passion in their "limited" football that got them promoted.

Yours, Mr Angry from Tunbridge Wells :taz:

I think there has been a growing dissatisfaction with Mourinho for quite a while now BB.
He knows he's on borrowed time too.
I think he's just waiting for the mega bucks pay off.
If you look at his body language and attitude to the press, it's easy to see he's realised he joined the wrong club and probably for the wrong reasons.

I think there has been a growing dissatisfaction with Mourinho for quite a while now BB.
He knows he's on borrowed time too.
I think he's just waiting for the mega bucks pay off.
If you look at his body language and attitude to the press, it's easy to see he's realised he joined the wrong club and probably for the wrong reasons.
You mean the arrogance that he could make them champions again because he's the special one? He inherited a mess of individuals but hasn't got a JT or FL to get the players on side.

If I had depression I wouldn't go to my manager at work for help I would go and see an expert in that field.

I would hope that the club would help him find a professional to try and deal with any depression he might have. That's not on the manger but the club as a whole.

A bit confused by your post, firstly I have seen or read nothing to indicate Neil Taylor is depressed, and if he was it is pretty disgusting to suggest that “an arm round his shoulder” is all it takes to cure depression, or that somehow Bruce is to blame for it.

Yes I meant to say how do we know Taylor is depressed and this could be picked up and run with leading to all kinds of speculation.

It's a dangerous allegation to make in my view.

Been reading that Bruce will press on with Jedinak at CB, unless we got a new CB in (and maybe even then).

Meanwhile, Elphick is being pushed out of the door.

What a load of BS.