Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August | Page 13 | Vital Football

Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August

Feels like a loss that does although if the goalie hadn't dropped a clanger they wouldn't have score in a million years even with 11 men. Albert was shocking and so was green when he came on meaning we had nothing of any quality from wide so we had to play through the middle which they flooded and we aren't good wrought to do that anyway. Can see why Bruce wants a wide man . We miss snodgrass massively.

Oh and our Ball retention was and would and you can't blame Bruce for that.

Not good to be one nil up and then be playing against 10 men .

Keeper situation is worrying. That doesn't happen and we win the game. As was also evidenced against Wigan. Gift the opposition a goal like that their tails get up and it becomes a battle.
We got away with it against Wigan but not today.

So far Middlesbrough have had the bare face cheek to draw and the baggies disgraced themselves by losing. No meltdowns by their after those results I suppose. So apart from Leeds who have beaten Rotherham at home today we find ourselves a massive 2 points off the top with 43 games left. So as expected very even in this very early stage.
Melon you forgot to say that both Middlesborough and Tesco have played 4 games to our and Leeds 3.

So are you saying those points are not valid, because in my experience they are. I have some difficult news for Villa fans to stomach, and spoilers here, we are going to lose and draw games of football no matter who is manager. I know that is difficult to understand for some but it is true.
I agree Wurzel, but it's how you lose and how you draw games. ....

Of course there is, usually someone who has never played an organised game, otherwise they'd know that it is easier playing against 10, simply because there is more space.
Yes, when a team goes a man down the remaining players will normally try that much harder but, if the full team match them for effort individually and speed up their passing, they will overcome.
When a team of 10 players hold, or beat a team of 11 players, it is unfailingly because the team with 11 players have relaxed and aren't trying as hard.
What a load of codswallop.

We've played 3 games Fulford.........and we have seven points....so if we continue with that ratio we'll go up won't we? Do we have to get points and play well every week?
We will not keep that ratio Langoe and even if we did and Leeds and Middlesborough kept up their ratio's, we'd be in the play-offs.

A question I and many others have been asking for quite a time holtelower.
However I have come up with a possible answer, that is probably the truth, it all comes down to bad management, made up of an ignorance of tactics and a complete refusal to try something different.
Its not a refusal to try something different 58, its more that he doesnt know any different, its what hes always done, its stood him in good stead in the past and he believes it will see him home this time.
It was why he got the job, and if you look at the cold hard statistical facts of where we are there are many pundits in the game who would want to know why we are moaning.
We are right in the mix, yes the footballs not Barcelona, but we are three games in and in the playoff places, better than last season.
Today didnt sound great, but again an individual error sounds like it cost us.
Bruce isnt liked by many on here but until the results fall away badly hes got the job, two decent results next week and we will be well ahead of last season.

Wide areas are a big concern for me. Albert is just not cutting it and have to say I'm not convinced Green can perform consistently. Snodgrass scored 7 and had 14 assists last season....we have to replace him!

Sounds like we put in the same kind of performance as the other 3 games so far this season except instead of getting a bit of luck we cocked it up. We seem to aim to play crap but win by set peices or bits of luck or magic. Fine when you get the luck but whenever you don't or you come up against a team that's actually decent we're fucked.

Personally I'd prefer we take charge of the game but that's not going to happen the majority of the time. We were able to do that most of the time second half of last season which is why we had our best run in years. We've got a decent enough squad to do the same but from Bruce and perhaps the players there seems to be a lack of belief that we can play on the front foot no matter what he says in interviews. We seem to actively go out of our way to play in a way that doesn't suit us most of the time.

2 points dropped playing against 10 men for 50 minutes and it would have forced most teams to attack and try and win the game but that's not the Bruce way is it.

No recognisable style of play that actually suits the players we have but hey, that's the Championship eh Steve.

We will not keep that ratio Langoe and even if we did and Leeds and Middlesborough kept up their ratio's, we'd be in the play-offs.

IF IF IF......If we beat Brentford 4-0 we'll actually have a better ratio than M'bro 1958...they've played a game more! The over reaction after three bloody games is just bewildering. I could understand it a bit more if we'd got no points......

If we had 7 points from playing Boro, West Brom and Leeds then it would be a great start. Yes, 7 points is pretty decent even against 3 very much below average teams, but our performances will have to be much better if we are to beat any of the teams that are likely to finish in the top 10. Those teams will not have defences that are all over the place and will capitalise on our defensive frailties.

Our slow, ponderous football will not get us anywhere near promotion. We need some proper pace so a winger, striker, left back and centre back are needed, in my opinion (that would be 6 loanees, as Fulham had last season, so just leave Moreira out of the 18 and have Bunn on the bench for most games).

Given the standard of opposition in our first 6 games, anything less than 12 points going into the international break would represent a below average start, imo.

Also holtelower the reason Jack Grealish isn't playing in the Premier league is because we refused to sell him and Daniel Levy was a tight bastard who thought he could take the piss out of the club. No matter what happens its always his fault in your eyes.

There is always a bunch of snowflake fans and Bruce haters waiting for a poor result to post their "I told you so" responses.

Looking on here there are many who cannot accept a poor result of draw or defeat. We had a miserable summer, was a lot of people's tip for relegation yet we remain unbeaten.

Poor result against a good side or a rare poor performance is understandable, but against a side like Ipswich down to 10 men with their winless run in many games, a result and performance like this cannot be defended nor tolerated.