Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August | Page 12 | Vital Football

Ipswich v Villa - Saturday 18th August

Contrary to opinion I'm not a Bruce hater, but can anyone tell me what's changed from last year......

Very little but we've started off better than last time, I do worry about coming up against Leeds and the relegated sides.
Contrast to last year Midfield looks quiet balanced but we've still got issues at the back, up top and outwide.

-Even with Terry at the back last year we were prone to moments of madness and that hasnt changed.
-Outwide Adomah just hasnt really done much for us in the past 6 months and Green is going to take a lot of time. We've nothing else after that really so Bolasie or Snodgrass would be a huge signing.
-Up top we've got the enigma - he is like bambi on ice when he has the ball at his feet but he can get a goal. The hardest thing with Kodjia is not knowing how much he hurts or helps us.

We're just so ineffective and still very slow moving the ball around. Our off the ball movement is pretty poor so everything goes out wide and we just launch crosses into the box. Tuanzebe should not be RB we have to persist with De Laet or Elmo at RB and mix up Kodjia, Albert and Green on the wings. Hopefully Hogan or Davis can step up to the plate upfront.

Being a goal up and playing most of the game against 10 men that certainly feels like 2 points dropped rather than a point gained.

I didn’t watch the game but read that the keeper dropped a clanger. Not impressed with either of our goalkeeper signings at all.

It doesn’t surprise me that we couldn’t score against a 10 man Ipswich in the second half... Adomah has been poor for a while, and Elmohamady needs to be sent back into defence as a matter of urgency. We really need to bring in a creative wide player, we cannot rely on Grealish alone in midfield to create chances and no one is else is capable of doing it consistently

Not great. Having said that, if Nyland hadn't gifted them a goal I'm sure we'd be here welcoming 3 points, rather than worrying about the performance.

We need a CB and if we could just get JT back it would be great. For a start, he'd build confidence in the defence and that would impact on Nyland. Whatever, Nyland needs to improve or we're going to have to try Moreira.

A CB plus a forward on loan should do it.

Just listen to any other from the past 18 months.

"Always hard against 10 men."

"Championship is a tough, tough league."

"Ipswich always a difficult place to come."

"We're 6 players light from last season."

Blah, blah.
So are you saying those points are not valid, because in my experience they are. I have some difficult news for Villa fans to stomach, and spoilers here, we are going to lose and draw games of football no matter who is manager. I know that is difficult to understand for some but it is true.

I am not there so cant comment too much but from the commentary, its exactly what i said beforehand.

No creativity, no powerful, attacking play, no picking passes through midfield , its just slow slow into Grealish, fall, foul, set piece, chance (and a goal from it).

There are NO excuses for this now. Hutton, Elmo, Bjarn, Green, Grealish, McGinn , Hourihane, Lansbury, De Laet, RHM, Hogan.

ALL players that play football on the deck, with pace and precise passing to feet.

So why buy them if you are not going to play them in a way that attracted you to them in the first place.

We are now against 10 men, lets bloody go gor it !!!!!

A question I and many others have been asking for quite a time holtelower.
However I have come up with a possible answer, that is probably the truth, it all comes down to bad management, made up of an ignorance of tactics and a complete refusal to try something different.

Still unbeaten, point away from home not bad although obviously against 10 men would have liked all three points. Playing against 10 is not always that easy. After the summer we've had I believe we have made a decent start to the season.

There is always someone who will defend this !

So are you saying those points are not valid, because in my experience they are. I have some difficult news for Villa fans to stomach, and spoilers here, we are going to lose and draw games of football no matter who is manager. I know that is difficult to understand for some but it is true.

I think we can all accept that, if we had been banging on the door with 20 shots but got caught on the counter we’d suck it up, the problem for the majority of us is that we haven’t sounded close to winning even when they had ten men

There is always a bunch of snowflake fans and Bruce haters waiting for a poor result to post their "I told you so" responses.

Looking on here there are many who cannot accept a poor result of draw or defeat. We had a miserable summer, was a lot of people's tip for relegation yet we remain unbeaten.

And THAT has been my whole point for 2 years CDX.

You say , we have no movement so everything has to go out wide.

And THAT is Grealish's issue. He is too slow, that is why he is in the Championship, not the Premier League. He is nice on the ball, he draws fouls, but he does not release it quickly, meaning runs cant be made because they end up off side by the time it is played.

He now has McGinn and Bjarn. And STILL we dont create.

It aint a coincidence that EVERY single team mate he has played with is now playing for a top 6 or 7 side in the major leagues and he aint.

His feet are sunlime, but his brain is slow. Someone summed it up today, shoot jack...shoot jack.... shoot jack.... shoot jack... just shoot..... aargh !.

Sorry, if people want to hype him up to Gordan Cowans standards, he needs to be a bloody lot beyter than he has been in the last 3 games.

And if he dont, we are going nowhere.

Yeah biggest issue for me is how slow we tried to play against a team with 10 men, and the fact that again it would be passing between the back line and then a hoof up the field. With an extra man on the pitch there really should be no issue playing the ball along the turf to move up the pitch

It's not a case of I told you so it's a case of 2 points dropped which as we know from last season you can't afford to do in this league.

Yeah biggest issue for me is how slow we tried to play against a team with 10 men, and the fact that again it would be passing between the back line and then a hoof up the field. With an extra man on the pitch there really should be no issue playing the ball along the turf to move up the pitch

Yes the commentators kept saying that we were trying to slow the game

The 'mass hysteria' begins again......We got a point, seven out of nine playing poorly. We're fourth in the league. Two home games to come this week. 129 points still to play for. Last year it took us 6 games to get 6 points. There, a few positives amongst the doom and gloom.

But there's the point Langoe playing poorly

Of course there is, usually someone who has never played an organised game, otherwise they'd know that it is easier playing against 10, simply because there is more space.
Yes, when a team goes a man down the remaining players will normally try that much harder but, if the full team match them for effort individually and speed up their passing, they will overcome.
When a team of 10 players hold, or beat a team of 11 players, it is unfailingly because the team with 11 players have relaxed and aren't trying as hard.

Not good to be one nil up and then be playing against 10 men .

Keeper situation is worrying. That doesn't happen and we win the game. As was also evidenced against Wigan. Gift the opposition a goal like that their tails get up and it becomes a battle.
We got away with it against Wigan but not today.

So far Middlesbrough have had the bare face cheek to draw and the baggies disgraced themselves by losing. No meltdowns by their after those results I suppose. So apart from Leeds who have beaten Rotherham at home today we find ourselves a massive 2 points off the top with 43 games left. So as expected very even in this very early stage.