Realism Please Fans!!! | Vital Football

Realism Please Fans!!!

SleafordRed

Vital Reserves Team
Well we have been treated to a rather extravagent summer down on trentside with a lot of both in comings and outgoings. In my opinion we now look a lot m ore balanced than we did last season and have some very exciting possible stars on our hands .
What worries me is that with so many new faces trying to gel together even a manager like "Pep "couldn't get it right immediately. These players need time to settle in and learn just how robust and physical the Championship is. Five games in the first month will be something a lot of our overseas contingent will not have had to deal with before. How will they cope ? Will they thrive or go missing?
The club have definitely decided to go for it this year and the fans have bought into that philosophy too with record numbers buying season cards . Here in lies a possible problem.
There is more expectation than ever that we will do a Wolves and romp away with the league title but this must be tempered with realism. We will win nothing in the first month of the season but we could lose a lot . Last year Wolves lost their opening game but put it to bed and going on a remarkable run.
We have all been in the City Ground and seen the fans turn when it isn't going our way almost immediately. If we get off to a flier all well and good but if that does happen then teams will turn up just to park the bus and try to frustrate us.
Then us fans will be even more important than ever if we do our jobs properly. Let's enjoy the ride stick with every game for 90 plus minutes and hopefully get our rewards come May 2019.
Please keep it realistic , dream big by all means but no wrist slashing if we get a couple of defeats or start an AK must go campaign. Hopefully our team are about to make us proud once more . Enjoy the season guys

Good post. I am genuinely excited this season. We are going to have a great season, but we do need to keep calm and level headed.
Unfortunately some of the most fickle fans pervade Forest and if we don't win 4-0 every game will be calling for AK's head.
Good luck boys!!
COYR!!

I think this would be better posted on Twitter, where a large number of fans are already picking their outfits for the open top bus parade.

Personally I think we'll.lose the first two games and what you have said above will be sorely tested.

Good post. I am genuinely excited this season. We are going to have a great season, but we do need to keep calm and level headed.
Unfortunately some of the most fickle fans pervade Forest and if we don't win 4-0 every game will be calling for AK's head.
Good luck boys!!
COYR!!

Yes, but they are bellends on here who don't even go

I’m afraid I’m too long in the tooth to be impressed by £13.2m and £6m signings, and however much it is we’ve spent up to now. Figures like these don’t impress me, so in all honesty I’m going into this season not much differently to any other season. Ok, I maybe have a little bit more optimism, but it really only is a “little bit” more than usual.

Getting out of this league requires a lot more than chucking money at it. It requires a good fit of coach and while Karanka has tasted promotion success with Boro, there’s no guarantee he’s going to be a success with us. The Portuguese lads we’ve signed are young, haven’t played that many games of football, and have no Championship experience. We still are going to probably play a midfielder at left back, which for me is criminal and something I’m always going to feel uncomfortable with. And of course to get out of this league requires a bit of luck along the way, not something that Forest have had much of these past 20 years.

So if you want to get carried away, be my guest. I’ll be keeping my feet firmly on the ground ...

I’m afraid I’m too long in the tooth to be impressed by £13.2m and £6m signings, and however much it is we’ve spent up to now. Figures like these don’t impress me, so in all honesty I’m going into this season not much differently to any other season. Ok, I maybe have a little bit more optimism, but it really only is a “little bit” more than usual.

Getting out of this league requires a lot more than chucking money at it. It requires a good fit of coach and while Karanka has tasted promotion success with Boro, there’s no guarantee he’s going to be a success with us. The Portuguese lads we’ve signed are young, haven’t played that many games of football, and have no Championship experience. We still are going to probably play a midfielder at left back, which for me is criminal and something I’m always going to feel uncomfortable with. And of course to get out of this league requires a bit of luck along the way, not something that Forest have had much of these past 20 years.

So if you want to get carried away, be my guest. I’ll be keeping my feet firmly on the ground ...

sure i'll be joining you and pope in the sensible seats on tuesday but for today and the opening game I will be getting fully carried away. we are going to rip those seagull shaggers a new one!

Reactions: PVH
They kept refer to us as "big spending forest" on sky last. Already building pressure on the club and raising expectations with fans.

At least there's some sensible ones among us fans that realise that the majority of money spent is to play catch up and try and keep pace with what others have already done. Karanka knows this and hopefully so do marinakis and co.

I expect a good season and I think we turn some very good sides over but I also expect to come unstuck against some of the more "agricultural" teams. Will be ups and downs and hopefully lots of entertaining footy and being in and around the playoffs will be a success. Anything more for me is a bonus.

We appear to have come a long way in a short time but promotion? I think it's just too much of a reach atm

Realism is needed, always, but, and rightly so, our owner, after backing the manager to the hilt will expect us to be at the right end of the table...I am not expecting us to romp the league, not even if we signed 3 or 4 Griezmans you will do it, cause players get injured and lose form... but all over a long season like the Championship, I expect us, considering the strength in depth that we have to be in the top 6...maybe not in the top two, but a play off place is not something too much to ask for ...

You look at clubs like Stoke, West Brom, Boro, Villa... Even Derby, whose expected financial reckoning still hasn't happened.... I think our squad is still a long way off all theirs, especially up front where we are very weak in depth and at fullback where we are currently appalling.

All of those clubs have squads that are more expensive than ours and were built from a higher starting point. We were running around at the end of the season with a first team that cost less than £1m.

It will be nice to see some more skilful players for a season though

Completely agree with the above. We finished 17th, and what, over 20 points behind the play off positions, let alone automatic. That means we have to improve by over 20 points. The money spent so far may go some way to doing that, but those teams above us have also improved their squads. So we definitely shouldn't be getting carried away just yet.
The teams Pope lists above do have better squads than us on paper, probably add Middlesborough to that as well, so it's far from a given. Let's see where we are after 10 games or so, before we can start to form a picture of what our season will look like.

Reactions: PVH
Completely agree with the above. We finished 17th, and what, over 20 points behind the play off positions, let alone automatic. That means we have to improve by over 20 points. The money spent so far may go some way to doing that, but those teams above us have also improved their squads. So we definitely shouldn't be getting carried away just yet.
The teams Pope lists above do have better squads than us on paper, probably add Middlesborough to that as well, so it's far from a given. Let's see where we are after 10 games or so, before we can start to form a picture of what our season will look like.

I did include Boro chap. Their squad looks very strong.

Stoke have the kind of player in Joe Allen that we hope Watson can be but he probably isnt.

To be promoted automatically it isn't a 20 point gap. It's 30-40 points we would need to make up. It does happen. Cardiff made up 28 points last season and Wolves gained 41. Huddersfield gained 30. Forest gained 26 in 2009-10

Its a tough ask and with a central defence of fox and dawson its even tougher...too slow...looking at hull's performance last year with dawson in their defence I'm just not sure how this is going to pan out.

Karanka has to have two full sides competing every week cos that's how it's going to happen..what ever your best 11 is that won't be the starting line up the following week...glass still half full..hoping to fill it up by Xmas

I did include Boro chap. Their squad looks very strong.

Stoke have the kind of player in Joe Allen that we hope Watson can be but he probably isnt.

To be promoted automatically it isn't a 20 point gap. It's 30-40 points we would need to make up. It does happen. Cardiff made up 28 points last season and Wolves gained 41. Huddersfield gained 30. Forest gained 26 in 2009-10

Sorry Pope, completely missed that! No, I agree, it was only 20 odd points for the playoffs. As I said, way more for automatic. Yes, it can be done, just think we need to be realistic until we can see how good these new players actually are. Still a question mark for me over whether AK will be able to mood them into a team.

Karanka has to have two full sides competing every week cos that's how it's going to happen..what ever your best 11 is that won't be the starting line up the following week...glass still half full..hoping to fill it up by Xmas

Don't necessarily agree with that. I don't remember Burnley changing their team around every week, or Newcastle. I'd like to see a much more settled team/core if possible.