Predictions & Match Thread: England v Belgium | Vital Football

Predictions & Match Thread: England v Belgium

If the advantage in future rounds lies in finishing second in the group will both sides be trying to lose? Could be a record scoreline...

(No I don't really think that will happen)

Finish second in group and most probably get Japan followed by Sweden in the quarter final. Finish top of the group and probably get Columbia followed by Brazil in the quarters. I know which route I’d prefer!

Finish second in group and most probably get Japan followed by Sweden in the quarter final. Finish top of the group and probably get Columbia followed by Brazil in the quarters. I know which route I’d prefer!

Finish second in the Group and it's only Iceland in the last 16 and then.... oh, I seem to have accidentally reposted something from two years ago. Sorry.

On a not unrelated matter, at this time there is a well known saying by the philosopher George Santayana that's worth remembering.

I think Belgium are playing for a loss with as many as 10 changes. I'm going for 3-1 England. Keeps the momentum going which is far more important than trying to play for a route to the semi finals. Let's have the other countries more worried about playing England than vice-versa

The Germans - back when they were good - didn't avoid the tough games: they just won them.

My eldest and I celebrated the first S Korea goal yesterday as if England had won the world cup.lol.

My Portuguese wife came in thinking she had got the date wrong and England were playing :)

Maybe that makes me xenophobic because I doubt I would cheer any other team going out. Maybe Portugal (inwardly or I would be culled) from memories of "the winker" and all the diving they do.

Xenophobic or not, felt good, what a moment and what satisfaction that "the machine" has gone rusty.

My eldest and I celebrated the first S Korea goal yesterday as if England had won the world cup.lol.

My Portuguese wife came in thinking she had got the date wrong and England were playing :)

Maybe that makes me xenophobic because I doubt I would cheer any other team going out. Maybe Portugal (inwardly or I would be culled) from memories of "the winker" and all the diving they do.

Xenophobic or not, felt good, what a moment and what satisfaction that "the machine" has gone rusty.

My better half, who was sitting in the garden whilst I watched the game, heard a massive whoop followed by my dancing out signing "The Germans are going out!" Dignified? Not so much... but a lot of fun.

if the opposition is japan, followed by either sweden or switzerland, we couldn't ask for a better chance to get to a world cup semi. add that to the group we ended up in - unbelievably favourable draw we have had this time.

My better half, who was sitting in the garden whilst I watched the game, heard a massive whoop followed by my dancing out signing "The Germans are going out!" Dignified? Not so much... but a lot of fun.
I had exactly the same experience. My wife rushed in from the garden. Loved it. Good times. The Imps on the up. England passable. And the Germans out. There is a football god after all.

Absolutely, but I think we would stand a better chance against Japan than Columbia - or is it just me..?

Well playing devil's advocate...

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/colombia-japan-june-19-2018-match-stats-108590

I think there's definitely a bit of "It's only Japan" as opposed to Columbia who everyone can remember used to be a good side.

But since we haven't actually won a world cup knockout game since forever I really don't think we can afford to be choosy...