Why Lucas has been given time to adapt | Vital Football

Why Lucas has been given time to adapt

Spursex

Alert Team
His own words make it pretty clear why he's been given a chance to settle and adapt and prepare him for next season - almost exactly as I said it was:

Despite being known for his pace Lucas Moura has been left surprised by the speed of the game in England during his first five months as a Spurs player.

We signed the Brazilian from PSG in January, and he showed sparks of his explosive ability in 11 appearances, not least with a goal on his full debut in the FA Cup at Rochdale.

He had a tough spell in France and was slowly eased in to Premier League life with a lot of appearances off the bench however he did get his first start in the Premier League at Brighton in April – his first league start in almost a year.

“It’s been a very good season for the team and, for me, five months of adaptation,” said Lucas speaking to the clubs media team.
“Everything is new for me and I am so happy because it’s a very big club, the structure is fantastic and my team-mates are so good. I’m really happy to be here and looking forward to next season.

Lucas added:”This is the best league in the world with a lot of big clubs and it’s so exciting. It’s different from Brazil or France and for me it’s a dream to play here.I think I can improve my game a lot here. The physical side is very different to Brazil and the pace of the game is very different to France. You don’t have so much time to think so I need to decide what I will do with the ball in one second and that’s good for me.

He went on to say:“I have learned from training with my team-mates and I enjoy playing with them. The training here is so hard, we work a lot, and it’s so dynamic. When I have the ball, the defenders come and try to take the ball quickly so I need to improve my game and learn about this kind of football.”

Sounds like he's up for it, having a full preseason will be good for him.

For him and Aurier a full pre-season is absolutely essential; I think both will really step up after a proper and full pre-season conditioning and of course a greater understanding of the speed and intensity of the PL league and especially knowing how to deal with the press and counter press, which would have been largely alien to both of their play to date.

Assuming stories of Alli, Eriksen, Son, Jan and Kane are about to sign new contracts. We will already be stronger than last season. I can't believe we will have as many injuries next season.

Assuming stories of Alli, Eriksen, Son, Jan and Kane are about to sign new contracts. We will already be stronger than last season. I can't believe we will have as many injuries next season.

Our final finishing position was all the more remarkable when you consider that our backbone was largely decimated for long parts of last season, injuries to Rose, Toby, Victor, Dembele, Winks made for alot of juggling.

World Cup summers are always an opportunity for players not participating to impress their manager. Hopefully KWP will have recovered from the thigh injury that forced him to withdraw from the Toulon tournament. Then it's him versus Aurier in pre-season to impress their manager. Then you have others like Moura and Lamela that will start their pre-season before Dele, Eriksen and Son return.

The most interesting part of the pre-season setup will be GK and central defence with Lloris, Sanchez, Toby, Vertonghen and Dier all away on international duty. The youngsters will be left holding the fort.

Some were calling for Moura to start games. Poch obviously knew he wasn't ready.
It's always the same with new players, especially someone like Lucas who has the potential to be exciting. I have no doubt Poch has handle this correctly, Lucas has looked at his best coming of the bench.
This suggest to me that sitting and watching the game he's able to work out how to hurt teams, when he starts he looks a little loss.
Next season he will be better equipped.

Poch managed him about right. Son was on pain killing injections at the end of the season and pretty ineffective for a chunk of the time. I think that encouraged Poch to use Moura a little more.

I think we're all waiting to see how Poch freshens things up with the attacking part of the squad. I would think he's pretty chuffed with Kane, Eriksen, Dele and Son whilst seeing Moura as work in progress. It's just whether he can find one or two players with the x-factor that can replace Llorente and / or Lamela in the squad and strengthen it again.

He could have been used more. But it is what it is.

I expect him to play large parts of the new season. He has ability. He has a skill set Lamela, Son, Alli and Eriksen just don't have.

Lamela is quick thinking and creative with good skills, Son more pace oriented but a good finisher, Alli has just about everything and Eriksen a true technician and tempo setter. What does Moura have that they don't ? He has already admitted he is not up to speed yet in the brain dept which is a serious deficiency. He has good technique from what I have seen, good acceleration to get past players.

Why is the expectation fewer injuries? Not a good way to plan. It's like they say about home ownership, always budget for repairs. ;)

What Lucas offers us is variety. He's a different type of player than what we already had and if Poch can get him back on track he has the potential to be a big player for us. We have only had one truly direct player in Son for a few seasons and to have more players capable of being that direct is important.

Having players who are fast and direct has always been must have in the PL. Look at Liverpool now as an example. Some of our best teams have had the same i.e - the Bale/Lennon years.

I'm excited to see what Moira can do this season.

Lamela is quick thinking and creative with good skills, Son more pace oriented but a good finisher, Alli has just about everything and Eriksen a true technician and tempo setter. What does Moura have that they don't ? He has already admitted he is not up to speed yet in the brain dept which is a serious deficiency. He has good technique from what I have seen, good acceleration to get past players.

Lamela dwells on the ball, has it taken off him or loses control then runs around like a blue ass fly trying to get it back, whilst kicking opponents in the air. If that isn't brain dead, deficient play I don't know what is. He is the weakest link in our AM chain and a longstanding upgrade path for someone better.

Lamela's passing is one of the best in the squad. This season (when he came back into the team) he has been one of our more direct performers. In the past he a tendency to dwell but your description reads more like it was written four years ago.

The weakest link in our AM path is in no way Lamela!

Lamela's passing is one of the best in the squad. This season (when he came back into the team) he has been one of our more direct performers. In the past he a tendency to dwell but your description reads more like it was written four years ago.

The weakest link in our AM path is in no way Lamela!

It was one of the first things I noticed about him when he arrived five years ago, I still see it now. His directness, when seen rarely, yields positive results because he lacks the necessary quality in the final third.

It was one of the first things I noticed about him when he arrived five years ago, I still see it now. His directness, when seen rarely, yields positive results because he lacks the necessary quality in the final third.

When this first became apparent I thought that it was the other players who couldn't think as quickly as Lamela.

Now, after a couple of healthy seasons for him it is apparent he hasn't adjusted to the players around him.