Woodyard | Page 19 | Vital Football

Woodyard

Agree with the game time comment. Aw strikes me as someone that loves playing, rather than being a squad member.

So, we now see a side effect of not going up. I am sure that Woodyard wanted progression and would have stayed with us in league 1. Worth noting for those that were saying the playoffs were a ‘free hit’, and that we weren’t ready for promotion.

On the plus side, I hope we recruit a left sided midfielder as replacement... bostwick is seriously one-footed, and freck never looked happy on the left side of the three.

Danny Cowley amongst others.

I thought it was an odd statement at the time. Do you think he really didn’t want promotion, or was trying to take the pressure off the players?

We all want promotion but it doesn't mean we're totally prepared for it. I'm sure there was an element of pressure off but also an element of truth.

Defensive midfielders aren't that easy to find but £200K+ sounds like a good deal for us.
He excelled in Non League and was competent enough in League 2 but not sure about a level above. Fair play to him though he has a chance to try and test himself and he gives all and stays free of injury and suspension.
Hopefully we can shore up the defence and won't have to play Bostwick there next season.

Let's face it Alex doesn't come across as the brightest (not many players do). But I seriously think he's got this one wrong. He can't know much about the history of these jokers. Ipswich or Posh? mmmmm now let me think.

Perhaps he saw what happened to Raggs and had concerns about being a similar bit part /sidelined at Ipswich?

I saw a few posts on Banter the other day (yes I know it's only from Banter) but this forward that's rumoured from an earlier post to be wanting out is Green. I hope that's just that, a rumour that is well wide of the mark.

If players don’t want to be at the club better to let go and free up the wage.

Look what happened under Tilson!

He is from Bath so wonder of if bristol rovers or forest green are after him?

Think Woodyard qualifies as 'legend' already, the FP article sums up his contribution to the achievements of the last 2 seasons pretty well.

A much as his move to Posh leaves the odour of their odious manager up our noses, Alex will have had his reasons and surely will have had advice from the Cowleys, Danny has always said he'd tell him the right time to move.

Alex stands a much better chance of regular starts at Posh, Ipswich would have been a big step up for a player of one season EFL experience. A good season next year and he might be on his way again.

Good luck, Alex and a big thanks from all Imps supporters.

We've lost a good player in fact a very good one but we still have the two important people at the club that being the Cowleys.
As long as they're here we'll keep progressing the right way.

I’m starting to feel sorry for Alex the more I read about this. Just seems like a dreadful decision for someone with such talent.

As the player that followed the Cowleys everywhere you have to wonder what happened to make him want fo
play for Evans above all the other 7/8 options lauded to. Was there any fall out between Cowley / Woodyard? ... You’d have thought Cowley would have advised that under no circumstances would anyone in their right mind play for Evans to progress their career. Especially not someone that appeared to have the relationship that Alex had with Danny.
AW`S agent needed a new motor and two weeks in the Maldives, it`s easily analysed and players are just puppets in modern day football and constantly put under pressure to move on for a fee to give the agent extra income stream.

Perhaps Woodyard realised he is 2/3 years from peak and needs a good season in league 1 to make the championship.

Good luck to him hope he leaves the posh for a bigger club this time next year

We've lost a good player in fact a very good one but we still have the two important people at the club that being the Cowleys.
As long as they're here we'll keep progressing the right way.

Including building the infrastructure and culture within the club so that when the Cowleys also move on, the club have a succession plan which allows it to dust itself down and continues to make progress therafter.

Woodyard leaving is largely irrelevant in terms of tactics. Every side needs a denfensive midfield player so we need a new Woodyard/Lennon/cantatc etc

I'm quite brutal on this. We are still settlingin to League Two. Next season will be our second season in the FL in 8 years.

The Posh, whether you like it, or not, are an established League One, sometimes Championship team. They are higher than us, they play better opposition than us.

Our crowds are artificially high, based on the averages of our crowds over the last 40+ years.

I don't begrudge Alex a move and he's not looked on it, since the Luton farce.

His missus lives down South and this move means he can move closer to her and commute to Peterborough.

Good for him and well played son. Been a pleasure watching you.

I thought Alex was part of the teams DNA earlier in the season.Does it not remind us all why the club has been at this level for as long as I have been a supporter.

I don't know how Posh play, apart from the Checkatrade game which probably didn't tell us much, but it could well be Alex will be an integral part of their team. I think they try and play football, but may have been missing that all action defensive midfielder to play in front of the back four/three? Maybe that is one of the reasons Alex has gone there - because they sold him on that role and game-time ( as well as L1 & money)?. He enjoys breaking up play (his strength) & playing a simple ball to those who do the creative stuff, so who knows?
As for the comment about DC being one of those that might have said we're not ready for L1 yet, IIRC from that interview he said we weren't ready, but if we got promoted, we would be. That suggests his recruitment might have been at a higher level?

What we have to remember is two years ago the club was going nowhere fast . Bob Dorrian had steadied the ship but did we have 200k players to sell (no) did we have a cup run (no)did we have football league (no) did we have sell out home games (no) . Whilst we have come a long way we still have a long way to go . Alex has been a big part of what has been achieved yet hes 26 maybe 6/7 years left to make his money . Evans shouldnt in my opinion be let any where near a football team . Yet he continues to attract and put together decent teams . They are a established league 1 /championship you really cant blame him for going. On the flip side we have a handy profit from the sale and sure there will be others down the line sold. We only support them but unfortunately the reality is its a business and getting bigger and whether fans like it or not circumstances will sometimes not be what we want to see. Saying that other bargains will come and hopefully the good times will keep rolling.