Women's World Cup | Vital Football

Women's World Cup

Well..... thoughts? Republic of Ireland withdraw from the mach after this injury describing it as 'over physical '.

BBC News - Women's World Cup: Republic of Ireland players 'feared for their bodies' in Colombia match

Wishing our girls the very best. 👍
However, there’s an interesting article about the number of ACL injuries in the women’s game.
Our knees aren’t the same as mens if you look at them. :unsure:

Wishing our girls the very best. 👍
However, there’s an interesting article about the number of ACL injuries in the women’s game.
Our knees aren’t the same as mens if you look at them. :unsure:

I read something similar about this issue a few months ago.

Research was always going to lag behind as the Women's game has progressed so rapidly over the last few years so it is still catching up. I am sure that biology/physiology will be substantive factors and that there is almost certainly issues to do with equipment differences specifically boots. I seem to recall something about the stud length being looked into as to whether it makes a difference - possibly combined with physiological differences? (as Rising indicates? :hmmm:).

I think the one thing I will take issue with is the idea that 'the pitches are ruined' because they 'always play after the men'. Firstly I doubt that the last point is accurate - it is not 'always' the case. Secondly, playing on poor surfaces is not confined to the women's game. Poor football pitch playing surfaces have been around forever and so I am not sure this is necessarily going to be something that can be relied upon as a factor. Not without matching research on men's ACL injuries after playing on poor surfaces. Besides......this discussion surely cannot be heading in a direction of 'different pitches for men and women'? The prospect of small goals and reduced size pitches lies that way and I don't think that is where the discussion needs to go.

Agreed, Skoorb. We should not go down that route.
I do believe as you say it’s more to do with equipment or physiological differences, or both.
However, vive la difference as those frenchies would say.
:giggle:

Bunny Shaw was sent off for collecting two yellow cards in her match. Will miss Jamaica’s next game. Not a great challenge apparently and right at the end of the game also which is a bit daft.

Shocking performance from Straya going down 2-3 to Jamaica, now they must beat the Olympic champs Canada to go through.

So far the stupidest 'news' article I have seen about this tournament.

Just an excuse to create a 'blame Manchester City' headline I think.

Any views on the standard of some of the play so far?

Would love to see some stats on pass completion.