Clemence gone? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Clemence gone?

Should put his money where his mouth is with our current squad. Show us how easy it is
He’s on record that at his age he’s not looking to do that role any more. I am expecting further changes in the back room team with Brad alluding to wanting a stats based system for future recruitment.

I think these are pretty good pointers as to why he was sacked:

The Gills, who finished 12th in the table, said in a statement that results have "not met the standards and expectations set by the club". Clemence, 46, was appointed as Neil Harris' successor in November 2023 with the club eighth in the division.

He won 12 of his 34 games in charge as Gillingham missed out on the play-offs by six points.

I hadn't realised his win rate was about 35% - pretty disappointing.
He won 10 out of 30 in the league: almost exactly the same win ratio as Harris, Evans and Lovell before him.
We did at least score more than one goal a game under Clemence, which was an improvement on Millen, Harris and the latter part of Evans. He must have done something right: our goal difference was -10 after 16 games, -11 at the end despite the hammering at Harrogate. But the failure to break teams down at Priestfield, unless they had a player sent off, probably cost him.

I wonder how that equates to "actually" waking the sleeping giant and to "actually" not selling Priestfield for real estate. Seems to me there might be few doubts just appearing in the heads of the supporters now.

This action has, in my estimation, impacted on his reputation and could have a similar effect on how the supporters now see him. He has literally mugged Clemence by telling him his job was safe before sticking a bloody knife in his back. I had a lot of respect for what Galinson was doing for the club and us, the supporters. I may just have to take what he says in the future with a fairly hefty pinch of salt, well for time being in any case.
He's changed his mind. Nothing more than that. We all do it in our jobs & lives. Why can't he? So are we saying he should just stick to his original stance even though he subsequently realises it's the wrong one as the evidence stacks up?

I think that we should have given Clem more time. Rome wasn't built in a day. If the powers that be thought he was the right choice in November they should have stuck with him. Otherwise it doesn't say much for their judgement.
What exactly has he done in terms of performances & results to have earned the right for additional time? So you cannot change an historic opinion as evidence mounts up to show it's now the wrong one?

He's changed his mind. Nothing more than that. We all do it in our jobs & lives. Why can't he? So are we saying he should just stick to his original stance even though he subsequently realises it's the wrong one as the evidence stacks up?
So what makes you think BG will get the next appointment right. SC was the best thing six months ago and was still the man for next season two weeks ago. Six months is no time, especially without a pre season.

Have no faith any of the football board have any real 'plan'. To be sustainable we need stability. You don't get that sacking managers every 6 months, as we've proved.

What happens if we're 10 games in next season and aren't in the top half. Do we start working for a fourth manager in 15 months?

Okay, of course he can change his mind but.... what sort of safety measures are in place should he decide to change his mind with regard to the team and the stadium at a later date?

His judgement yesterday had no real disadvantages for the team although I think could have been pretty soul destroying for SC and those he chose to join him at the club,

So what makes you think BG will get the next appointment right. SC was the best thing six months ago and was still the man for next season two weeks ago. Six months is no time, especially without a pre season.

Have no faith any of the football board have any real 'plan'. To be sustainable we need stability. You don't get that sacking managers every 6 months, as we've proved.

What happens if we're 10 games in next season and aren't in the top half. Do we start working for a fourth manager in 15 months?
Sorry your missing the point of my comment which is the principle that Mr Galinson has every right to alter his opinion like we all do.

Difficult conundrum between the need for stability & possibly being in denial so burying your head in the sand.

Who knows whether the next appointment will be correct? That answer will come from results.

Agree with most on here, I’ve said for a while now that I wasn’t convinced with SC, and while giving him a pre-season and the whole of next year was probably fair at least Brad and Shannon have acted decisively.

Can’t say I’m disappointed to see him go, although I do wish him and RS well for the future.

This should now ensure that the same shambles of last autumn gets avoided this year.

I hope that the new man (or woman!) is announced sooner rather than later. One assumes they will now need to re-assess the squad to see who should stay and who can go, plus identify the weak areas (and work with Hess and Kenny Cagoule on potential suitors), get them up to fitness, working on patterns of play and shooting practice. Plus coupled with a weekend jolly in Europe again.

It’s gonna be an interesting few months for sure

I didn’t think Clemence was the right pick but was happy to give him the summer and see how next season started. But then if you weigh up that against giving him ten games with new recruits you have the possibility of having to change the manager mid-season again which is never ideal.

I think it’s a harsh decision for Clem and he must be devastated he didn’t get longer, but if the owners have doubts over his ability it’s better that the decision was made sooner rather than later.

Sorry your missing the point of my comment which is the principle that Mr Galinson has every right to alter his opinion like we all do.

Difficult conundrum between the need for stability & possibly being in denial so burying your head in the sand.

Who knows whether the next appointment will be correct? That answer will come from results.
Of course BG has the right to change his opinion but the more he does the less faith I'll have in him making the right one. If we're now judging every appointment in 6 month increments I fear for us going forward. That is not a recipe for success. Not sure many of the footballing decisions have been that great either.

Currently have no faith that the next appointment will be backed properly. Seem to be spending more on fucking off coaches than we seem to invest in strikers.

Of course BG has the right to change his opinion but the more he does the less faith I'll have in him making the right one. If we're now judging every appointment in 6 month increments I fear for us going forward. That is not a recipe for success. Not sure many of the footballing decisions have been that great either.

Currently have no faith that the next appointment will be backed properly. Seem to be spending more on fucking off coaches than we seem to invest in strikers.
Yup,How much has this cost the club so far,removing Harris now Clem

Yup,How much has this cost the club so far,removing Harris now Clem
Harris was signed at a time when we were financially fucked up, so I doubt his release would be massive. Steve Clemence was an inexperienced punt and I also wonder if the Americans included certain early release clauses in his contract?

But nothing has changed since he gave S.C. a vote of confidence. It was obvious that things hadn't & wouldn't change when Brad said he would be here next season. Oh dear!! the dreaded vote of confidence!
Good luck S.C., you tried hard, but it wasn't to be.