Clemence gone? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Clemence gone?

Apparently these recent suggestions have been the crap like Jayden Clarke and Josh Walker. Those who have been worthwhile contributions to the team in the formation at the time have usually been the ones the head coach has given the most input on.

TL/DR: listen to the bloke who works with the squad everyday. If he’s got duffers who haven’t been able to play under numerous different gaffers before him then perhaps let him tell you what’s needed?

There’s future proofing like the signings a DoF at Brighton would sign. As a league 2 club at the mercy of different head coaches playing different styles you can’t rely on Jackett picking them.

At least this guarantees Crawley won’t win the play offs. We get to keep that (relatively) local away game.

Edit - Trev beat me by three hours on the other thread!

Not been online all day, didn’t expect to come home to this!

I really didn't see this coming. Yes, the season's been underwhelming, but Clemence has had no time to create a team. And he's very unlucky when you look at our awful record on converting chances into goals, which is the players' fault. So on balance, I don't support the decision because I think we need stability. And if there's no one lined up, we'll waste several weeks again. So what's behind it:

- Clemence's list of targets didn't impress Jackett or was deemed unrealistic?
- The owners regretted not sacking Harris last summer and didn't want to make the same mistake again?
- Clemence wasn't being ambitious enough? (not wanting a bigger clearout)
- Clemence's style not deemed right for League 2? This one has merit.
- Someone already lined up? Let's hope so!
- ST sales disappointing? Wouldn't be surprised...

I just keep thinking about Arsenal. Last summer people were calling for Arteta's head, now look at them. At some point we have to give a manager time to build success.
Yes the Arsenal scenario is similar to the Doncaster one. In early March Doncaster were in the bottom 4, fans crying out for his sacking. They then went on a run of 10 wins on the trot taking them into the play-offs. In football you just never know what's around the corner!

I've just dug out my notes from the Fans Forum on 7th February.

When asked about promotion prospects:

KJ responded that he hadn't given up hope of going up automatically.

BG said he'd fancy going up through the play-offs after experiencing the Wembley final last year.

SC said he'd take either but his aim was to win each game.

At the time we were 1 point off the play-off positions and 10 behind the third placed team.

In the 17 games that followed we won 5, drew 6 and lost 6.

A pitiful 21 points out of 51 meant that we ended up 6 points outside the play-offs and 22 behind the third placed team. I can't think that KJ or BG were very happy and, given what he said at the time, surely SC himself can't be too surprised with the decision.

Last edited:
Oranges and lemons
say farewell to Stephen Clemence.

You owed me promotion
Said Brad from across the ocean.

There was a backing to light you to bed
but here cometh a chopper to chop off your head
Chip chop chip chop the next man will be ..................... ?!

Last edited:
I’m surprised but it’s not totally unexpected, the public backing at the fans forum is totally irrelevant imo, Im sure they had concerns then but could hardly say any different than they did. To announce publicly that they were unconvinced or considering parting ways was never going to happen. I had an inkling that the remaining games might have more riding on it than most thought. We had many opportunities towards the end of the season to get into the playoffs and tripped at every hurdle. I guess Clemence didn’t do enough to demonstrate that he was the right man. Similarly to Harris he probably should have had more time but fair play we’ve acted now and the new man will be given the best opportunity to assemble a side.

Things I picked out of his post-match interview, when Clemence was asked if promotion is the aim for next season,

“We will have to see how the summer recruitment goes, we need to add at least thirty or forty goals to this football team before we can even think about getting to League One.”

“The club has only had one scorer in the last five years get to double figures.
There’s some big improvements to be made, I haven’t got a magic wand.
Obviously I’m operating within a budget, I’ve already spoken to players under contract and out of contract about my plans for next season.
Generally when you need players at the top end of the pitch, they cost the most money, so we will have to see what happens.”

When appointed the remit would have been to get into the playoffs at the very least, no doubt Clemence said he would deliver and improve the sides inability to score, neither has happened so in all honestly you can see why he has been removed.

Found out about the news whilst on the golf course. So first opportunity to give an opinion.

As I've said on here before I was very much a Clemence sceptic so obviously am not disappointed by today's announcement but still found it a tad surprising given Mr Galinson's recent public support of his head coach.

I've found in my work that successful business people have high expectations of others & don't do or tolerate failure. Today confirmed just that. Promotion or at worst the play offs were the stated aim for this season. It has not been delivered so consequences were expected.

Whilst many may argue he was not given sufficient time, I would ask has he actually demonstrated sufficient ability in his job to earn the right to be given the luxury of more time?

Performances & results support the decision. No players have improved under his coaching. Goal scoring remains our Achilles Heel.

Key for me is that unlike the Harris decision, the timing here is spot on. You would hope that lessons have been learned & a replacement is already targeted. Which for me should be an experienced old head.

Credit to Mr Galinson for making a swift decision & in doing so to be honest enough to acknowledge that in hindsight the wrong appointment was initially made.

Essentially Clemence struck me as a good assistant but one who probably needs to operate with better quality players more able to understand & perform his tactics.

But there is mitigation. The recruitment team are as culpable for this season of under achievement & their failings are the next area needing to be addressed.

the timing here is spot on. You would hope that lessons have been learned & a replacement is already targeted. Which for me should be an experienced old head.

Credit to Mr Galinson for making a swift decision
Nobody can argue with the timing this time.

Not the decision I would have made but I haven’t witnessed training, spoken to any players, been party to SC’s conversations with KJ, JC or BG or seen SC’s list of transfer targets or plans for the team next season.

I hope SC and RS can find themeselves suitable roles soon and ones that are closer to home for them both.

I think these are pretty good pointers as to why he was sacked:

The Gills, who finished 12th in the table, said in a statement that results have "not met the standards and expectations set by the club". Clemence, 46, was appointed as Neil Harris' successor in November 2023 with the club eighth in the division.

He won 12 of his 34 games in charge as Gillingham missed out on the play-offs by six points.

I hadn't realised his win rate was about 35% - pretty disappointing.

Well I guess that’s possible. He might have called Shannon a slag too but we’ll never know.
I am wondering if Clemence wanted to get rid of too many who are under contract next season?
We know that is a recipe for disaster.
If Clemence made "I can't get enough out of him". Remarks about players who have previously proven with other managers it could well have triggered this.

I am wondering if Clemence wanted to get rid of too many who are under contract next season?
We know that is a recipe for disaster.
If Clemence made "I can't get enough out of him". Remarks about players who have previously proven with other managers it could well have triggered this.

Maybe we should appoint KJ as manager and see how he gets on?

Martin Allen was a great appointment at this level, Gills again need an experienced old head to get out of this grim league.
Martin Allen had a reputation as a firefighter, saving teams from relegation. He wasn't the obvious appointment for a team that had twice narrowly missed the play-offs and now wanted to take the extra step.
It will certainly be interesting to see which way the Galinsons jump with this next appointment. Surely whoever it is will ask for investment in the forward areas, just as Clemence did.