Clemence gone? | Page 8 | Vital Football

Clemence gone?

Absolute clown show.

If this is Brad, own it. I think it’s a very rash decision and is his first major misstep,

If it’s KJ, he needs ejecting into the River Medway.

6 months is carnival stuff. Don’t care who the manager is, nobody can affect proper long term change in that period of time.

If we are now ‘starting a process’ I’ll be even more cross. Some of our higher ups are deluded, thinking about self preservation or - worse - both.

He's changed his mind. Nothing more than that. We all do it in our jobs & lives. Why can't he? So are we saying he should just stick to his original stance even though he subsequently realises it's the wrong one as the evidence stacks up?
I would more question his judgement for saying what he said in the first place. There was no need to back SC to the extent that he did if he wasn't sure he would stand by his word. Some people called it a naïve thing to say at the time and that has proved to be the case.

Braindead decision if you ask me, and one borne of social media comments and typical negativity around the club.

Clemence got a team comprised of 70% Harris die hards, 20% journeymen and 10% people who fit his system and was told to work with what he had.

While some results this season weren't ideal, at no point have I pointed the blame at Clemence and his team solely. Poor recruitment, no dedication to the cause and a lack of commitment to the system have been evident since he joined.

Almost guarantee he'll see success elsewhere, and we'll regret this particular decision...

Happy to be proven wrong, but as much as I have criticised our performances in the second half of this season, rarely have I thought it was Clemence fault.

Braindead decision if you ask me, and one borne of social media comments and typical negativity around the club.

Clemence got a team comprised of 70% Harris die hards, 20% journeymen and 10% people who fit his system and was told to work with what he had.

While some results this season weren't ideal, at no point have I pointed the blame at Clemence and his team solely. Poor recruitment, no dedication to the cause and a lack of commitment to the system have been evident since he joined.

Almost guarantee he'll see success elsewhere, and we'll regret this particular decision...

Happy to be proven wrong, but as much as I have criticised our performances in the second half of this season, rarely have I thought it was Clemence fault.

Bang on.

I feel like becoming a Moaning Minnie, starting my own Gills v/blog and slagging the next manager off until he’s sacked too.

It seems the only group Brad listens to.

Then maybe we should have seen an improvement in shape or urgency. Still walking side passing with one up front with minutes to go.
Having said that i would still have given him next season. Maybe he will do well at another club so wish him well.

Then maybe we should have seen an improvement in shape or urgency. Still walking side passing with one up front with minutes to go.
Having said that i would still have given him next season. Maybe he will do well at another club so wish him well.
There's an old saying about "making do with what you have" that I'd have liked to see him have the opportunity to eschew, for better or worse personally.

With that said, we can only hope for the best at this point and I don't want to add myself to the ranks of perpetually negative dickhead Gillingham fans, so let's see how it goes, I guess...

So what makes you think BG will get the next appointment right. SC was the best thing six months ago and was still the man for next season two weeks ago ......

BGs backing for Clemence next season wasn't two weeks ago. It was before the poor 0-0 at home to Crewe, the 5-1 debacle at Harrogate and the 1-0 defeat at Bradford.

At that time, like me, I suspect Brad thought we still had a chance of the play-offs and that if we missed out it would only be by a small margin. The fact that we folded so badly changed anything that may have been thought back then.

Get the right man in and its the correct decision, get the wrong man in and its not the correct decision.
We have already seen this with Harris and Clemence. Both were not the right men for the job.
All will be forgotten once we find the right manager/coach

What I found strange is that BG made it clear that when he sacked Harris it was in order to go in a different direction, so I expected a marked difference in how we set up and perhaps trained as well as fitness levels and consistency.

Yes, there has been differences but they have all been pretty subtle. Clem is a coach and he has been quoted as saying he liked many of the players.

What mystifies is that he took training for 6 months during which he would have practiced drills and had shooting practices. He would have devoted 95% of his time to that, as he was a head coach without the wider managerial responsibilities held by Harris.

Were the poor attacking performances on match days a surprise/mystery to him, or did they reflect training and if the training is poor, isn't the coach there to improve it?

WTF! I looked on this site at about 9 yesterday morning and apart from the usual b*ll*cks, there was nothing happening.

Now I come back on and the manager (who was recently "backed" by the owner) has gone. A week may be a long time in politics but a day is a long time in football :oops:.

Really don't know how to react to this event. I can understand that the season's targets weren't met, but the guy only had half a season.

However, I still don't think that the problem has been addressed? And the problem is "Why were we so good during the last 23 games of season 22-23 and yet were pretty poor from the start of the 23-24 season?"

I have my theories (of course) which should be apparent to anyone who reads this board. But I (as I guess all of us here) don't really know what goes on behind the doors of the club.

I remain flummoxed. But one question I'd ask is "Was Clemence pushed or did he jump?". As far as I can see, it's "only" the press who are saying "Sacked".

Apologies if I've got some facts wrong, I've not read the rest of this thread yet.

loads of criticism aimed at the DOF and Head of Recruitment but i cant help thinking are the players that we have recruited (prior to them kicking a ball) players that we wouldn't have wanted in a Gills shirt?

I cant remember many calls of Shite don't want him when we signed them, why they haven't delivered under two coaches and an interim is mind boggling and what our wage bill was prior to B&SG must be miniscule to what it is today?

Is it the DOF or the Players that need to take more responsibility?

We all know a decent Striker (hens teeth) could have made a difference but overall we had a squad a players who could have contributed more than they have done

Malone
J Williams
Bonne
Mahoney
Masterson
Lapslie
Nichols
Max Clarke

Did we scream NNnnnoooo to any of the above?

loads of criticism aimed at the DOF and Head of Recruitment but i cant help thinking are the players that we have recruited (prior to them kicking a ball) players that we wouldn't have wanted in a Gills shirt?

I cant remember many calls of Shite don't want him when we signed them, why they haven't delivered under two coaches and an interim is mind boggling and what our wage bill was prior to B&SG must be miniscule to what it is today?

Is it the DOF or the Players that need to take more responsibility?

We all know a decent Striker (hens teeth) could have made a difference but overall we had a squad a players who could have contributed more than they have done

Malone
J Williams
Bonne
Mahoney
Masterson
Lapslie
Nichols
Max Clarke

Did we scream NNnnnoooo to any of the above?
There's three players that I can think of that arrived to some criticism during the KJ & AH recruitment reign, those being Tristan Abrahams, Ashley Nadesan & Jorge Hurtado. Abrahams we didn't really see barring one start, Nadesan post injury hasn't looked at all like a football league player and Hurtado excited all of us before getting injured. As for all of those names mentioned, they were all massively applauded when signed.

Lol

Apart from Jorge you can see why I left the others off the list, that said Nadesan should have performed far better than he has and can only agree on professional footballer status