Zakuani confirmed | Vital Football

Zakuani confirmed

Lovely jubbly. That's an excellent signing at League 1 level.

Good work all round so far. Addressing the issues head on from last year. Get the defence sorted and that's already a huge step in the right direction.

Good work. from what i've read online, and seen from opposition fans and their chairman, I am relatively happy with this signing, with one caveat about finding out about his international commitments.

Positives

- Knows Pennock from his time at Stoke
- Has got a promotion from Championship with stoke, and 2 from League 1 with Peterborough. Has generally played Championship/Top of League 1 level. Seems to be comfortably at that level.
- Is a leader. I have read that he's DR Congo Vice Captain or something so it will be good to have a leader at the back.
- A 1 year deal is good too. It means we aren't neccesarily lumbered with him in 2019 when the next african cup of nations is held and he'll be missing a good bit of the winter. Of course if he does really well with us we may want to sign him up regardless, but it's low risk to us this way - it gives us the choice. I can't see him being in that great demand next year in a Cup of Nations year.
- Northampton's Chairman came out i believe and said if he gave up his international career he'd be one of the best CBs in League 1.
- There are some fans who think he's mustard on their forums.

Possible Concerns

- Do we actually know how many games he's likely to miss next year due to international commitments?
- The northampton defence was quite poor last year, they shipped a lot of goals, and many of their fans on forums also said they werent too bothered about losing him.
- At 31 i guess he's not too old. Especially on just a 1 year contract. But having played at a higher level you might ask if he's had

:1: :1: :1: :1:

Pennock is doing the right thing.
It's all about the defence at the moment.

We could now play a three with O'Neil and Garmston as wingbacks.
That's a start.

Definitely good to get all the defenders in early doors. The more training and pre-season games they can play with one another the better.

Doubt O'Neill is a first choice right back though. I'd imagine he's a squad member.

He's better than all the other right backs we've got at the moment so will undoubtedly be first choice ( at the moment ) :17:

I don't know when the photo of him at Priestfield was taken as he does seem to be away on International duty now- something we will have to get used to by all accounts!
https://twitter.com/gabs50zakuani/status/872080380194586625

A outstanding signing a player that would have been on my list of top targets .Well pleased. It is a big plus that he still wants to play internationally that means he still has a passion for the game .A leader at the back is something we badly need .