Would you buy a 5 year season ticket? | Vital Football

Would you buy a 5 year season ticket?

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Just trying to think outside the box a little for a way the club could raise money in the short term.

If the club offered a 5 year season ticket for say £2,000, would you be tempted?

That would work out at £400 per season, which is £100-£200 less than some of todays prices.

If they got 20k takers that would instantly be £40million quid raised.

Obviously its another gamble, as revenue over the following 4 years would take a hit, but to get us out of this bumpy spell and let us have another crack at promotion, could it work?

Not sure that the 20k you mention have the short-term cashflow to fund that 5 year ticket, or want to risk the 5 year time investment (never know if you'll have to move for work or what could happen in life). I think you could get a few takers, but not 20k.

Just trying to think outside the box a little for a way the club could raise money in the short term.

If the club offered a 5 year season ticket for say £2,000, would you be tempted?

That would work out at £400 per season, which is £100-£200 less than some of todays prices.

If they got 20k takers that would instantly be £40million quid raised.

Obviously its another gamble, as revenue over the following 4 years would take a hit, but to get us out of this bumpy spell and let us have another crack at promotion, could it work?
Deano, I like your thinking. But it would mean club spending tomorrow's income and therefore be short in the coming seasons.
It highlights the plight we are in. Tony has gambled with our clubs future, and as much as i want to believe his intentions are good, if he can't show the money then he needs to sell.

Not under this regime! If there was an offer for the fans to own say 49% of the club or something like that then maybe. I struggle to see how fan ownership works financially but other countries seem to manage it.

It's tough for people to raise that much surely? I would, but I've not got the worry of paying for kids and what not.

Yes it would be difficult , but if I could persuade Mrs Sir Dennis to forego our holiday I would do it.

Thinking out of the box is useful but forking-over £2,000 in one go is beyond many fans at the moment, even the most passionate. The 'will' might be there but the chances are that the banker says 'No'.

Structuring an offer at say £100, £250 and £500 for an immediate cash-raise and allying it with the creation of a membership scheme per year could raise significant sums over a 5 year period.

If this were done as part of a fan ownership scheme to underpin the financial stability of the club (which could include attractive opportunities for high-net-worth individuals and institutions, for example) it might be a good way for 'us' to gain a measure of influence and eventually control of the club. As happens in Germany and other countries.

Didn’t Rangers do this? Sure there was some issues with it when they started over again too.

Maybe you could commit to 5 years and still pay it yearly, at least then the club have the money guaranteed to come in every year, a lot of people get things on finance anyway so wouldn’t be out the ordinary.

If I was in striking distance of Villa Park and could attend matches I'd take it up like a shot.

Think what it would need would be some sort of buy back facility so that if folk for whatever reason couldn't do the 5 years then they could cash it in. For example: cash it in after 1 year then you receive back the £2000 less a normal 1 year's season ticket price, or maybe a certain percentage of that amount. Or the ability to transfer it to somebody else for a certain fee.

Allthough a good idea, it would only have a minimal uptake and therefore not work it. Eg. All the people i go with

Dad , 71, lives 50 miles away. Who knows if he will be well enough in 5 years. Cousin, 65, lives 60miles ditto, friend, 66 lves 100 miles, misses all the midweek as it is, son and daughter, 18 n 19, both on university courses with year abroad so will miss a season each. So out of us 6, only I mayconsider it, and i doubt i could afford it.

Nice thinking but with the finances in football now, money from the fans is meaningless

No, because I wouldn’t trust the club to manage the cash flow effectively enough so I’d rather drip feed it in each season.

Yep, this. But a structured fan scheme which has yearly membership at a reasonable level, has options for higher net worth people to make sizeable contributions and was created as a genuine effort to support the club in all aspects really would offer the club the financial backbone it could take to institutional investors and banks to secure our prudent future rather then rely on a sugar-daddy.

Of course, we the fans would like a few things in return ...

Didn’t Rangers do this? Sure there was some issues with it when they started over again too.

Maybe you could commit to 5 years and still pay it yearly, at least then the club have the money guaranteed to come in every year, a lot of people get things on finance anyway so wouldn’t be out the ordinary.

Yeah, thats the idea... like buying a car only with a season ticket to Aston Villa the wheels only fall off every other season :lol: