Will we ever see another club permanently establish themselves as a top 6 Premier League club? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Will we ever see another club permanently establish themselves as a top 6 Premier League club?

Several decades .......nah. Late 70s, early 80s, Forest would have been in there. Villa too.....and Everton. Then, with Jack Walker's cash, Blackburn were the wealthiest club in the land for a couple of seasons.

But the late 70s and early 80s is a very long time ago, though. 30-40 years surely constitutes 'several decades', doesn't it?

As others have said, all it takes is to be bankrolled by some billionaire, and you could break your way in there.

Yeah agreed, but my point was that this is very unlikely and will not be applicable for the vast majority of clubs.

Yep ......went to Maine Road ....... though not in the Bell End (honest !)

They should've just named it the 'Colin End' tbh ;).

I'll be honest Will........ the 80s doesn't seem like "decades" ago........ even though it patently is!

The point remains.......... all it takes is a money-man. ?

I'll be honest Will........ the 80s doesn't seem like "decades" ago........ even though it patently is!

Did you go to the Play Off match Moonay.
Goater, the cheating bastard hand balled it into the net, and the ref apologised after for allowing it and not giving us a penalty when Kevin Sharpe was brought down.
I wes sat in that out door 'Gene Kelly' stand in the corner. It felt like it was going to collapse with the Latics fans bouncing about in it.

Exiled???
Why was that??

I think it was 88 or 89 when I stopped going ......a bit pissed off when we we sold all the "starlets", but saw nowt of the money.

Took me till the Championship year to go back ...... partly to stop the youngest supporting Utd !

Oh ....and aye ..... I did.
;)

Don't worry mate, 'tis a symptom of old age, losing track of time.

Sorry man, just couldn't resist an opportunity to troll the troller ;).

Yeah, I agree tbh but I the fact remains that the vast majority of clubs won't have this man and will therefore probably never challenge the top 6.

Last edited:
Don't worry mate, 'tis a symptom of old age, losing track of time.

Sorry man, just couldn't resist an opportunity to troll the troller ;).

Yeah, I agree tbh but I the fact remains that the vast majority of clubs won't have this man and will therefore probably never challenge the top 6.
And to continue your history Will - First leg of the div2 playoff v city was the last ever game at Springfield Park. Remember the city fans busting through the old shevy end to get into the game and the week before Brenda Spencer organising the ticket queue for the game. The lads who turned up in a City of Manchester council transit claiming to be Wiganers got short shrift ?

And to continue your history Will - First leg of the div2 playoff v city was the last ever game at Springfield Park. Remember the city fans busting through the old shevy end to get into the game and the week before Brenda Spencer organising the ticket queue for the game. The lads who turned up in a City of Manchester council transit claiming to be Wiganers got short shrift ?

Haha just looked it up and noticed we scored in the first minute of that game! That must have been good. Funny how both legs of that play off semi-final were played at grounds that no longer exist.

Last edited:
Financial fair play is killing football. As you have pointed out, it was brought in to ensure that the rich remain rich and at the top of the leagues. It doesn't benefit the poorer clubs at all.
Leicesters title was a freak result (not a fluke, nobody can win a league with jusy luck) as they played the same eleven all season with minimal injuries/suspensions. This coincided with vardy having the season of his life and mahrez/kante et al suddenly becoming world beaters in their mid twenties.
In terms of the future, I don't know how much longer Chelsea will have at the top table with transfer bans and a increasingly disinterested owner or spurs who I think risk losing their best players/manager in the near future unless levy suddenly commits some money.
Even so, with FFP in play, I doubt any other side will be able to regularly breach the top four in the next ten years and the top six will likely revert to a top four.
While FFP stops the Man City's of the world going from zero to hero it's aim is pretty good. In theory it should force clubs to be run sustainably without over reliance on wealthy owners - this would have stopped Parma over spending long before the Parmalat collapse led to the clubs bankruptcy.

With regards to new clubs becoming top 6 clubs I can only see it happening in the case of a catastrophic financial meltdown in football. Debt geared clubs like United might suddenly become toxic might be very swiftly abandoned by skittish investors - particularly if that coincided with poor footballing circumstances like missing out on the Champions League. That's about the only circumstances where you can envisage the natural order of things being upset.