Wilder approached? | Vital Football

Wilder approached?

Have Pompey made an approach for Chris Wilder? The Oxford chairman seems to suggest we are interest in him.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?538924">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

One of the managers that has been linked with Pompey since <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Guy Whittingham</font></b> departed has been <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Chris Wilder</font></b>.

Their chairman has suggested that we are interested in him, not that he is concerned...

Ian Lenagan has told BBC Radio Oxford: 'the fact that one club, who are a failing club, comes in for him. That tells you he is a good manager.

'Chris Wilder has showed his commitment to Oxford over five years.

'Am I concerned about Portsmouth? I am not concerned about Portsmouth at all.

'I think anyone would be interested in Chris Wilder. Who wouldn't be interested in a manager who is top of the league?

'This is a man who has been castigated as not being good enough for Oxford United. I think it is delightful that a club wants Chris Wilder. I take great delight in that fact. I wouldn't want him to go, he has a contract with us.'

<b>Has an official approach been made?</b>

Well, that has not been revealed.

What we have been told by <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Mark Catlin</font></b> is that whatever we do with regards with our manager search it will be above board and conducted the right way at all times.

Catlin has said: 'we have approached a number of clubs to see if they would be willing to allow us to talk to their manager.

'Whatever we do, we want to do it via the correct and appropriate channels.'

Lets just say for arguments sake that Wilder is one that we would seriously be interested in, that would mean that compensation is something that we would be willing to play for our next manager!

Many of us, myself included, were highly sceptical of the fact that our next manager would already be employed...but maybe they could?

If that is the case it puts a whole new complexion on who our next manager may well be...

As far as Wilder goes, in 257 games he has won 116, drawn 66 and suffered 75 defeats with Oxford, so it is not a bad record at all is it?

Would he want to leave Oxford, who are top of the league two table, for Pompey in 17th anyway though?

Time will tell...

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-freeze.asp?tid=17234" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Wycombe</b></a>.
<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17623" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Newport</b></a>.

I do not really take offence to their chairmans views.

Ok, perhaps a bit disrespectful and a person in his position should show a little more tact with what he says but he wants to be playing down the chances of Wilder going and enhancing why he shouldnt...

VERY surprised that a manager in work is something we would be willing to go after!

I've said all along that Wilder would be my no.1 choice and I DO think that we ARE prepared to pay compensation for the RIGHT man.

Wilder is known for his approach to free flowing football and after five years at Oxford could prob do with a fresh challenge .. sure he might take Oxford up but what then ..

With Pompey he has far more scope ..especially as we are a 'failing' club.. cheek of the man .. at this stage though I do not think we should overlook anybody we feel we can afford .. whether they are in a job or not ..

If you don't ask you don't get

With allegedly dozens & dozens of experienced lower league managers reportedly queueing up for the Pompey job, I dont think we should pay for another clubs manager.

I know we think we are a big club but are we not being a bit above ourselves given our league position and financial constraints to approach the manager of the top club, a bit like Fulham approaching Arsenal for Mr Whinger

Totally agree Wiggy, some of the names I've read banded about on this and other sites is frankly laughable. Where are these peoples heads? Certainly not anywhere where there's fresh air that's for sure!!

I don't think that we should be chasing anyone. The only justifiable reason for approaching Oxford is if Wilder has let Pompey know that he is interested.