What did we really expect? | Vital Football

What did we really expect?

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
We appointed a untried manager (in football league terms) with a untried assistant.
Initially it paid off but when out thought and out fought they have no experience to fall back on

They need an experienced head to offer advice (not PT) and perhaps show them a way forward.
If we survive this season this will be a big learning curve for them. Hopefully they'll learn from it and won't make the same mistakes.

It doesn’t really matter who the manager is if we have the lowest budget in the league again next season. We will be fighting for survival with mainly freebies, League 2 out of contract players and the odd non league signing hoping they might be a “gem”.
However, thanks to the large number of players we will soon be able to release, there may be some wages available for a half decent league striker who we will hang our hat on to score enough to keep us up.

Steve Lovell is 57 years old and has been working in professional football pretty much non-stop for over 40 years. Any ideas who this old head to show him the ropes might be? I hear Tommy Docherty's free.

I think you'll find that his managerial career has been mostly non league with time spent in coaching roles with the likes of Charlton.
It is a different kettle of fish being a No 1 in a L1 club and up against some very experienced managers.

OK then, some of them, say Keith Hill or Chris Powell, may have managed more games, but Lovell's been around the block for even longer than them. If he can't cut it, then he can't cut it, but to call for an "experienced" man to show him the ropes would be an insult to his professionalism. It would be like Grandpa's dad in the Beano.

He's job was to stop the rot and try to save us from relegation and thats what he needs to be judged on. Remind me how many points did we have when he took over.

Normally we would be safe already but this looks like being a non average season for the safety points total.
Can understand but not be happy with the fact that the players thought we were safe and are finding it hard to step up a gear (or two), lets face it most of the fans thought we we were safe.

luckily for a lot of the home fans we are now having this dip and there can now be much hand wringing and booing and i was right - told you so, Maybe if they had realised that we were not safe and roared the team on many games ago we would have a few extra points.

Alderman, I will agree with you. Yes, he has a long term involvement as a player, and having known the man from the days of him and Damian Richardson, I believe he was capable as any other 'left as a player, but haven't got to be a manager'
All that is a total load of bollocks.
How can you only have people who are experienced managers if you never let a novice become one?
Lovell has pulled performances from this 'heap of rubbish' that previous managers could never have believed.
The fact that we are no longer getting entertainment is purely down to those same players not putting their effort in on the day.

Steve Lovell just lacks the balanced squad he needs .You only have to look at our players pedigree .We lack goals right through the side .Given last records they have done well .We lack the skill and experience leader in midfield .Also a experienced winger .Our left back are very inconsistent . The rest of our defence is probably OK with Zak if we had the rest of the side sorted .Most of all that guy finishing chances .

Apart from a few years ago around the championship years we have always been in decline lol.

i always wonder what would have happened mid sixties if we had gone up to L1(now championship) instead of somehow losing the last few games where the rumour was that the club did not want to go up.

We had recently gone 54 games at home without defeat and were getting the odd 14 - 17,000 crowds. i believe we could have averaged at least 15,000 in the higher division (remember there was not much money in football then so it was the gate money that countedj.

The question was 'What did we really expect'

Personally, nothing.

Ade Pennock had these players and jack whotsit.
Peter Taylor was brought in with his England and Gills experience and did nothing.
Steve Lovell came in and after a few games did wonders. The squad had basically not changed.
Ok a player or two was brought in at no cost, because he was given no budget.
The most disappointing thing for me is that we have witnessed really good performances from this squad.
Why therefore do we watch players who have a shirt on, yet do not want to compete in the game?
To an extent I cannot blame Lovell. He is trying to keep the players thinking they are capable.
Unfortunately, although having proved they can, they can't be 'ars'ed'.
Those players have embarrassed Steve, the club and the fans.

Transition from Coach to manager maybe harder than we think. The coach can be the players friend, helping them develop and llaughing and joking with them. The manager makes the big decisions, who plays, who doesn't, who gets new contracts etc. In the early stages of Lovells reign he was "caretaker" and was probably still seen as a "coach" albeit head coach. Once confirmed as manager that relationship with the players changes.

Certainly something has changed because he is not getting the same out of the players as he was before.

The last few home games, culminating with yesterdays embarrassing shit show is enough to get you sacked. Lovell won't has he's just signed the contract and like all managers he will get the summer to create "his squad", just like Pennock did last season. However IF we start in the way we finished this season then Lovell will be under pressure and Scally will be under pressure to make changes before Christmas.

Yesterday was as bad as the game that got Pennock sacked and Taylor sacked.

Lets hope he turns it around but playing the same players and expecting different results it not going to work. These players have shown that they are not capable in recent games.

Walsall
MK Dons
Doncaster
Southend
Rotherham
Blackpool

Its really only the Blackburn game that they showed any real hunger or pride in the shirt.

The point I was making which some have taken as being against Lovell which I'm not is that he could do with a mentor (somebody like Harry Redknapp for example) to turn to for advice in these sort of situations.
Mark Patterson is also inexperienced at this level and as has been said it is a jump from coach to manager. He's no longer seen as one of the boys.
He has worked wonders but has made 1 or 2 gaffs e.g 50 point target
Let's hope we survive this season and he can build on it.

SL has got plenty of people in the game he can call.

1 or 2 gaffs is laughable, we cant score or defend and the players dont have a bit of passion in them.

I suppose it can only get better for SL but he could have already done enough for PS to see if "any one better" is on the market