Watching the Gills.... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Watching the Gills....

Who can say?
I am long enough in the tooth to have seen oblivion when PDPS took over saw three great stands being built and a trip to the Championship that seems such a long time ago.
I believe in the process I believe in the new owners and above all else for my sins I believe in GFC.
Let’s have the closed season to reorganise and build for a Championship winning season next year, Clemence has had half a season one in that he will have learnt so much for the next campaign.

COYFBBys

Going up as fucking Champions

So dropping 4 places below the lowest we had been under Harris, as well as the goal difference getting worse by 9 goals and dropping 21 further points below the automatic spots, is steadying the boat?

Clemence was clearly brought in to improve the entertainment and maybe quality of the football and that takes time which he looks like being given. If he was judged purely on points and the form of the team, he would be in more trouble. So far he has not even materially improved the scoring rate.
I agree his start was not auspiscious however I cannot think of too many managers who have taken over a league 2 club in (result) meldown and had instant success although, that said, Scott Lindsey has worked wonders at Crawley. Lets also not lose sight of the fact that somehow managed to achieve the best league start ever however, once the rot set in, we dropped like a lead balloon and the football was (most of the time) let's say, difficult to watch - basically crap in layman's terms.

What Clemence needs to find and is consistancy within the team. We are too much of a Jekyll and Hyde team at the moment, sometimes in the same match. That needs sorting and quickly, so hopefully any players arriving at the club during the summer will be to his liking and address this issue. Any success he achieves will benefit the club at all levels and that is something we all want.

Not sure if experience v no experience is much of an indicator to whether a manager will do well.

Granted we’ve had some inexperienced managers who were poor. But Pulis had just 10 games at Bournemouth before coming here. Keith Peacock had no English League experience, just 1 year in USA. Both very successful. And Hess first time was completely inexperienced but gave us 4 quality years in the Championship. Don’t think Stimson had league experience, but he got us promoted.

And we’ve had some very experienced managers over the years who’ve been poor eg Burkenshaw, 2nd coming of Peter Taylor, Hess mk2 possibly as well. Martin Allen was the one experienced manager we’ve had that was very successful. As well as PT first time around. SE and NH divide opinions as to their success or otherwise. As does Stan Ternent.

I agree his start was not auspiscious however I cannot think of too many managers who have taken over a league 2 club in (result) meldown and had instant success although, that said, Scott Lindsey has worked wonders at Crawley. Lets also not lose sight of the fact that somehow managed to achieve the best league start ever however, once the rot set in, we dropped like a lead balloon and the football was (most of the time) let's say, difficult to watch - basically crap in layman's terms.
I know I am seen as NH's cheerleader but this "rot set in" and Clem "steading the ship" really is utter cr@p.

Our "best league start ever" - four straight wins - has since been mirrored at Millwall with four straight wins at the END of the season. All lucky or course, in the same way that, in all, they achieved 23 points from 13 games under NH who took over after the transfer window had closed and when they were 21st. Transposed over the whole season, Millwall would be in the Championship play offs, in the same way that we would have been last season based on our form from January 2023.

We had won three, drawn one and lost one at home and had dropped to 8th but only one point below the automatics (rather than 22 by the end) when the change was made. If you regard that as a "meltdown", then we have different values.

The sticking point was clearly the style of play, not form.

The above is in the interest of balance, as I realise NH would have left when Millwall came calling anyway.

Last edited:
Not sure if experience v no experience is much of an indicator to whether a manager will do well.

Granted we’ve had some inexperienced managers who were poor. But Pulis had just 10 games at Bournemouth before coming here. Keith Peacock had no English League experience, just 1 year in USA. Both very successful. And Hess first time was completely inexperienced but gave us 4 quality years in the Championship. Don’t think Stimson had league experience, but he got us promoted.

And we’ve had some very experienced managers over the years who’ve been poor eg Burkenshaw, 2nd coming of Peter Taylor, Hess mk2 possibly as well. Martin Allen was the one experienced manager we’ve had that was very successful. As well as PT first time around. SE and NH divide opinions as to their success or otherwise. As does Stan Ternent.
Hessy was maybe inexperienced as a manager when he took over the reins but his time as leader and captain of the team was invaluable. When things were going wrong in the playing field, he was the one who set an example (not always a good one, I have to admit), but even a bad example can be a good one if it wakes the team up and shakes them into action.

Martin Allen was certainly good to begin with but the team drop off later in the season was mind-blowing. At one time I really did wonder if we were going to drop out of contention - thankfully that was averted. Wasn't really a fan and also wasn't too sad when he rode off into the sunset however, he did what was asked of him and I won't begrudge him his plaudits.

What I would also like to say is this - any "trialist" who joins in the pre-season training and or games, need to be, if they are offered a contract, told they
have a relatively short period of time to make a decision. There is an old saying I absolutely agree with : Never make a priority of someone for whom you are only an option. The whole management team need to stand firm and not fuck around as they did during preseason last year,

Last edited:
Some interesting points being made about SC and his Head Coach/Manager "novice" status.

I`m in the camp that sees him as a man we should stick with and support 100% for the coming 24/25 season. Like others, I have a few doubts now and then but his role isn`t an exact science and we don`t know to what extent other factors, outside his control, might have impacted our season.

I do like that he`s shouting a bit more !

In relation to inexperience, it`s perhaps relevant to include the Assistants in the discussion. In SC`s case, he does have the vast EFL experience of Robbie Stockdale to lean on. I suspect they are very much a partnership. As, of course, was (and still is) the case with Neil Harris and Doug Livermore.

Some interesting points being made about SC and his Head Coach/Manager "novice" status.

I`m in the camp that sees him as a man we should stick with and support 100% for the coming 24/25 season. Like others, I have a few doubts now and then but his role isn`t an exact science and we don`t know to what extent other factors, outside his control, might have impacted our season.

In relation to inexperience, it`s perhaps relevant to include the Assistants in the discussion. In SC`s case, he does have the vast EFL experience of Robbie Stockdale to lean on. I suspect they are very much a partnership. As, of course, was (and still is) the case with Neil Harris and Doug Livermore.
and not forgetting BFSE and Paul Raynor. I am actually suprised they can walk in different directions to each other because I thought they were probably joined at the hips.

Cancel, cancel. Crikey.

That post aged well, Lancs

Gravity holding them together.
Ah, forgot about that,..... you're correct of course, together they are a binary star system with both parts attracted to the other, something akin to Earth and the Moon. Who know, one day they could collide and create a whole new entity - maybe even one with a pleasant character (or demolish the world as we know it).