Warne 'First Goal Rocked The Lads' | Vital Football

Warne 'First Goal Rocked The Lads'

It was avoidable , but in the words of Tom Jones, "It's not unusual" (for us)... even against the team who are bottom of the league. Makeshift defence today because we didn't sign a left-back when we had the chance in January , and we let two centre-backs go out on loan. Somebody (?) made those decisions!

Last edited:
You know, just for say three season's I'd like to see no players being loaned out to anyone. Then you'd get the younger ones having to learn from their team mates and when short of players they would be there to fill the bench and probably get minutes on the pitch.

I'm not even sure that first goal 'rocked' the lads. It was so early on and we had lots of chances after their first two goals. Whatever was said at half-time I don't know but it didn't seem to help.

Seemed to me at half time the system was changed to three at the back. I assumed because this was the way the lads are now used to playing and would maybe make them more confident and give them the opportunity to assert themselves more on the game. I couldn’t have been more wrong!

They did. To be honest I am puzzled by that performance - it just didn't feel 'right'.

Playing players out of position doesn't help, and unfortunately we do that quite a lot. A caller to Radio Sheffield Football Heaven was pointing that out tonight. Unlikely to be able to get away with doing that at Championship level, even if we were sometimes successful with that tactic in League One. It's a common managerial fault - even England managers have done it - and with about the same level of success :(

Last edited:
Baldtobeamiller is always moaning to me about square pegs and round holes but we never do seem to have the right players for the right places do we. I'm not even sure that Ben Wiles knows what his 'real' position is anymore.

And, Sixpence, I know what you are saying because I thought on Saturday, 'there's something not right, here.'