Wage bills | Vital Football

Wage bills

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Just reading that Burton Albion has an £8m annual wage budget this season and that's by far and away the lowest in the Championship. I'm sure I remember that PDPS had said ours was around £1.7m when he held the session with supporters last year.

The gap between Championship and League One finances since we left seems to have become an unbridgeable chasm.

Staggered Burton's is as high as that!

Do think that when some people talk on here about 'getting back to the Championship' they don't appreciate how much the financial landscape has changed in the last 15 years, not just Champ to Prem, gap from L1 to Champ is huge. Burton one of the few 'local owned' clubs left, most owned by billionaires.

Scally out!! Someone should organise a protest to get him out of our club..

Det - Don't think they get a lot per game, quick google shows Villa got £500k from 16 live games on sky this season. Think they get about £6m up front compared to £1.3m in L1.

Not sure, but it would have to be a decent wedge to bridge the gap given their average gates are less than ours.

Just reading that Burton Albion has an £8m annual wage budget this season and that's by far and away the lowest in the Championship. I'm sure I remember that PDPS had said ours was around £1.7m when he held the session with supporters last year.

The gap between Championship and League One finances since we left seems to have become an unbridgeable chasm.
I would imagine Darren Bent takes a large chunk of that 8 mill.

See Blackburn's wage bill was £8.5m this season according to their manager, at least 12 of the Champ clubs have a wage bill of £40m+.

Just like our place in the football world seems to be a L1/L2 yo yo club I think Wigan, Blackburn are becoming Championship/L1 yo yo clubs because of the ever widening financial gap.

The Accrington manager said a few weeks ago on talksport that their wage bill was around the £1 million mark.
He has done tremendously well with that budget but ... his squad are easy pickings for anybody who fancies his players for their team.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't lose a few to bigger clubs.

The big question is do you have a small squad of better paid players or a larger squad with most equal.
A club of our size has to decide.
Maybe we'll get lucky with a few of our youngsters improving enough.
From what I've seen, Cundle is out of his depth. List is out of his depth.
Nash hasn't had enough games. Oldaker looked very good in preseason against lower ranked teams but did little at our level. M'bo ?? who knows? A couple of others warmed the bench occasionally so, fingers crossed.

They were talking about Sunderland on talk sport yesterday and the fact that next season they will receive a £35m(?) parachute payment from the premier league. Add that to the fact they are now debt free, are under new ownership so will probably have extra investment and will be the biggest team in league one next year in terms of gate receipts, it makes you wonder what their playing budget will be.

The gap appears bigger than ever and is still growing.

Just makes you wonder what would have happened if we had got promoted in that season under JED when Burton went up?

How long could we have stayed in the Championship with a £1.5m wage bill?

Ticket prices would have gone up of course and I’m sure the wage bill would have increased slightly too- but no chance we’d be paying out £8m a year on players!

Basically we will be stuck at L1/L2 yo-yo level until outside investment or a new owner comes in.

They were talking about Sunderland on talk sport yesterday and the fact that next season they will receive a £35m(?) parachute payment from the premier league. Add that to the fact they are now debt free, are under new ownership so will probably have extra investment and will be the biggest team in league one next year in terms of gate receipts, it makes you wonder what their playing budget will be.

The gap appears bigger than ever and is still growing.

They were talking this afternoon about Sunderland needing a new manager and put Chris Wilder forward as a good candidate, can't believe why he would leave a championship club to manage in league one.
Anyway, their reasoning behind his name being put forward is he has gained promotion from league one before, and wait for it.............................. he is used to working with a small budget!
Are the talk sport presenters on the same planet as us?

...From what I've seen, Cundle is out of his depth...Nash hasn't had enough games...
Cundle: 1 (5) league apps, 4 (9) total. 1 goal
Nash: 2 (8) league apps, 2 (10) total, 0 goals

Cundle to me has been playing less advanced to Nash, and is also straight out of the youth team!! I know we want to get rid of any deadwood to reinvest those wages into better players but are you really wanting such a young and inexperienced player out of the club after so few appearances and time out of the youth team?! Surely with that attitude we wouldn’t have kept someone like Dack after his first year?!

Last edited:
This was Cundle 3rd year as a pro. In Dack's 3rd year he scored 10 goal in 50 games in league 1. Nash is 1 year older than Cundle, but only 1 year as a pro.

I think the £8m was their cost of sales - not just the wage bill.

Going into the Championship is a big difference - their turnover doubles and adverting trebles but gate receipts only up by 30%

I think the £8m was their cost of sales - not just the wage bill.

Going into the Championship is a big difference - their turnover doubles and adverting trebles but gate receipts only up by 30%

£8m was just the wage bill in the article I read.

"...a modest wage bill of around £8 million"

This was Cundle 3rd year as a pro. In Dack's 3rd year he scored 10 goal in 50 games in league 1. Nash is 1 year older than Cundle, but only 1 year as a pro.
Fair enough, I didn’t realise Cundle was a 3-year pro. It feels like this season has been his only real meaningful sniff of action. Was he out on loan at all last season?

Actually I’ll Google it later before I get the deserved “Google it you lazy twat” reply.:grinning: