vs Benfica | Page 2 | Vital Football

vs Benfica

Broony did indeed get the MOTM award, wee_od.

Agree about Watt and Lassad and have to admit I was a bit surprised when Lenny sent an unfit Hooper on rather than give one of the aforementioned a chance.

Very much a depleted, makeshift and strikerless Celtic team tonight, so very happy with a well earned point given the circumstances.

All good observations, Tic. Miku still has to fin a partnership and get into the groove. It will take time and he had to learn on the job. It was always going to be tough with the makeshift group of forwards we had. Now we must take more points on away games.

Couldn't have been anyone else to get MOTM last night! Outstanding individual performance but as a team I thought we did quite well!

There were a few players who just looked a little slack, a little slow to the ball and just not quite clicking.

Hooper apparently got a rake down his Achilles or ankle at St Johnstone so wasn't fit enough to start.....but he was fit enough to come on from the bench....really not sure how that works out but just have to accept it. I thought we changed when Hooper came on, I thought we really shifted up a gear and looked more likely to win the game which begs the question....why didn't we start with two strikers????

Even with Hooper not fit enough to start, why not give Watt a run out for an hour beside Miku? You could play him in the Samaras role kind of on the left wing. Let him run at them and cause problems. Have Mulgrew in behind him but also helping cover CM, Brown and Wanyama and then Forrest on the right...

I think there were better options than what we went with that could have given us a more attacking threat, however I am not going to argue and a point was a fair and decent enough result!

thought vic did well in patches. mulgrew was very good and brown was good but the one thing with brown is he always takes the pace out the game, he doesnt zip a pass it slows the momentum, although he had a good game. izzy was crap, lost it fannying at the back so many times. i thought kilson di well. matthews i thought wasnt great. commons has so much class and lovely touch when ball is at his feet, if we play it on the ground we look good. miku i think is shite

What makes you think Miku is shite Liam? I'm just wondering because I personally think he looks to have a good touch and good awareness and will link up well with everyone else once we get him used to playing with us! Could be wrong but my initial thoughts are that he looks like a quality player......

not shite, thats a bit harsh. i think he just doesnt look like scoring, hes never involved to me he does nothing. when hooper came on he showed porper strikers movement, there to link up with commons. i saw miku v st johnstone for 1st half and again v benfica and i just dont think he does much, just average.

I can see where you are coming from Liam.

I'm not convinced he is the sort of striker who will score as many goals as the likes of Hooper or Stokes. To score as many as those two have in the past couple of seasons is really quite exceptional in any league (which makes Messi and Ronaldo's efforts look out of this world). He scored 12 goals in La Liga last season and I think that was probably a good return for a striker like him.

In my opinion there are different types of strikers. Some are big target men and might get you 10 a season, some are link up men who again get you about 10 a season, some play in wide positions and probably create more than they score and then you have the Hooper style who score a lot and anything less than 15 would be a huge disappointment for them.

To me, Miku fits into the category of about 10 goals a season. He has good link up ability but I think when it comes to pulling the trigger he is a little shy compared to Hooper. I think he will come good and think he has already shown some class. Just don't expect 20 goals this season from him.

Lassad is similar. He won't get us bucket loads of goals but he will contribute to the team, set up goals and generally get around 10 goals a season.

One thing I did like about Miku was he ran a lot, his fitness looks pretty good to me! He runs after balls more than Hooper will!

Latest Celtic News