Villa's start to the season - reasons to be cheerful AND causes for concern | Vital Football

Villa's start to the season - reasons to be cheerful AND causes for concern

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
The new season has barely begun but the pause button has already been pressed. The first international break is upon us. I am as patriotic as the next person, but England games leave me cold.

Too many false dawns, too many coulda/shoulda/woulda moments: I no longer go out of my way to follow the Three Lions.

So it's an appropriate moment to take stock of our start to the new season. We are four games into our return to the ‘Promised Land’ but we have an underwhelming three points to show for it. One win, three defeats. Did we expect better? Should we be sitting higher in the nascent table, having spent the thick end of £140m this summer?

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/villas-start-to-the-season-reasons-to-be-cheerful-1-2/

Nice write-up JPA. Your fourth paragraph sums it up for me. A league table is not a league table until we've played at least 20% of our matches. Especially when you consider the mitigating factors of new league, new players, new manager....

Every game has had a story so far, and none have been the fact that we're crap and going to go back down.

Spurs - did well considering no one expected anything.

Bournemouth - 2 early howlers and then chasing the game

Everton - mustard

Palace - down to 10 men and robbed of a point (despite it not being a good performance)

I do agree 10 games is a good gauge to see where we are, right now it's far too soon.

Leicester were totally written off by Xmas on their return to the PL, so adrift that it looked impossible to survive. They survived, and won the PL the following year. A lesson on predicting. Most people wrote off our chances of top 6 in February this year. We were promoted. Things can change rapidly with a good run.

Leicester have lessons for us. Pearson was too cautious after promotion, ditching Leicester's attacking style for something more defensive. It changed when out of desperation he reverted to attacking. DS has adopted a certain approach, which got us promoted, and needs to stick with it. I think he will.

It's been tough; we knew it would be. But at this stage of the season the only reason to be fearful would be if we were being consistently outplayed. We're not. As regards results the main criterion is staying in touch with the pack, again at this stage of the season. We are. If we're still in touch with the pack after 10 matches we're doing OK.