v. hearts | Vital Football

v. hearts

welch47

Vital Football Hero
We'll see how this lines up but I like the player selection.

Matthews---Ambrose---VvD-----Izzy
-----Brown----Bitton---------------
Forrest------JOhansen-------Stokes
-----------Guidetti-------------------

Nicely done. Big win against a tough Hearts side. The passing was excellent. The score could have been much bigger. Goal no. 5 was wrongly disallowed. I think this would still have been a comprehensive win even without Gomis's red card. Hail Hail!

I was confident of a win before this game but when Gomis got sent off......it was only going to go one way!

No real surprises in the team. Bitton started and I thought he played really quite well, especially considering how little he has played.
Probably the one big surprise was no Scepovic on the bench.....

I was disappointed that we seemed to kind of give up after about 65/70 minutes. Commons and Griffiths came on and we seemed to just slow down and not even look interested in trying to get more goals, just happy to pass it around. Sometimes we became a little too casual about things!

Commons once again came off the bench and did feck all!

One of my neighbours is a Celtic fan and he's one of those guys who always seems to know someone who knows about goings on at the club. He was telling me and my dad about Griffiths. Apparently Collins has it in for him, doens't like him much and things he needs to be a better professional. Thinks he's fat, hangs out with the wrong crowd (which he does) and doesn't behave like a professional footballer; e.g. posted a photo on his Facebook recently showing him in a club in Edinburgh with friendswhere he bought a £1000 bottle of Vodka or something. Collins doesn't approve of that sort of thing and I don't think Ronny does either.
Also, apparently Griffiths is on £10k a week, Hibs' offer to take him on loan was that they would pay £700 a week of that! HA!
Neil Lennon is apparently keen on taking him to Bolton in January, on loan to start at least where they would pay £5K per week of his pay.

The 5th goal was wrongly disallowed but the penalty was not a penalty either, VERY soft! Guidetti didn't go down appealing for it which was good of him.

When 4-0 up, I didn't understand the subs......why not give O'Connell a game at CB? Yes it will be quiet but at least it's a bit of experience for him.
Why not bring McGregor on in a central role instead of Commons to see how that works? Use the younger players!

The players definitely phoned it on after 70 minutes. They were passing it around midfield like there were there minutes left. If they had pressed, this was a seven-goal thumping. Biton was generally very good, I thought, and deserves more playing time. I think we could easily sacrifice Mulgrew and give Biton more action.

Griffiths reminds me a bit of Derek Riordan. He's talented, but doesn't get enough out of his ability. He is a bit of a ned. He is neither the complete ned nor waste of talent that is Derek Riordan, but he could be much more. It's clear that Collins and Deila really like Stokes as he gets much more action. I think he put Commons on as a favor and because they may sign him. My guess is, Commons is popular in the dressing room and with the support so Deila doesn't want to treat him rudely, but he isn't in the manager's plans.

This is the guy who thought--until recently--that he could change whatever he wanted and not worry about immediate results. He wants to build with young players and Commons is the antithesis to what he has in mind.

And, uh, what the hell has happened to Sceppo? Even Tonev got some action today!

Agree about Mulgrew and Biton welch. They are definitely interchangeable but I think Biton gives a little more mobility and as we've yet to see him play that much, there could yet be a lot more to come from him!

The problem in midfield is not really if we lose Mulgrew as I've just said how Biton is interchangeable with him but it's what happens when we lose Brown, or even Johansen. The way Johansen is playing at the moment, normally further up the pitch...we don't really have anyone else to play there. Johansen brings energy and that's not what you get with Commons so that's not a straight swap. I think McGregor is probably the closest straight swap. As for Brown, we don't really have one because we don't have anyone else to really lead on the pitch. But in terms of style of play, I think Henderson is the closest thing we have.

I was basically having that same discussion the other day about the similarities between Griffiths and Riordan. It's weird but certainly seems to be true! He needs to sort himself out, like how Stokes appears to have done!
Stokes seems to be keeping his nose clean and concentrating on his football instead of heading out on the town and not really giving a damn! We're seeing the benefits on the pitch and I'm sure he will be as well. He's turned back into the hard working player he was when he was a youth player at Arsenal.

I'm not sure how or where Commons fits into the plans but the biggest thing is form and at the moment we have other players playing well and keeping him out of the team.

Scepovic....really not sure but it looks like he may not be working out as was hoped. Not changing his style enough? Not fit enough? I don't know but it seems even Griffiths is doing enough to be ahead of him!

We got drawn away to Dundee in the next round btw. That's a difficult draw! Of all the small teams left in the competition how do we end up getting drawn against an SPL team?

Also interesting to see we're not the only ones questioning where Scepovic has gone. Deila has been questioned about his part in the team and whether he'll be offloaded in January.
Deila says it's just a matter of time. He is still settling into life here, getting used to the language and the training etc. He says Scepovic is impatient and wants to play to prove himself but Deila won't rush him in as he obviously feels there are things to be worked on first.
He points to Griffiths as an example of biding your time. Griffiths was out in the cold at the start of the season but through hard work on the training ground and impressive performances when he does get his chance, he's pushed himself back into contention. Starting to sound like Deila is liking Griffiths and believes he can still be a big hit here, although I'm sure he's still concerned about his private life.

Deila has three targets hitting the papers today.Stuart Armstrong is on the list and would cost more than pounds 2 million. I think he's good. He covers the pitch like brown but gets forward quite a bit. We're also looking at Max Power of Tranmere. He is another midfielder and at age 21 would cost pounds 400,000. I don't know much about him but he has a handful of clubs interested, including the huns.

And ever better, we're after Michigan State University midfielder Jay Chapman! That's my grad school. He's quite good and has interest from Sunderland, Swansea and Villa. Celtic is a better choice. He will play more and MSU wears green and white. It's familiar colors for him!

Latest Celtic News