Training Ground Pitches | Page 2 | Vital Football

Training Ground Pitches

I think Arsenal have 9 training pitches of which all of them are totally identical to the pitch at the Emirates Stadium.
As we are hoping to take youngsters on loan from the likes of these clubs I think it may be stipulation of the loan agreement or at least a very big factor that the loaning club want these youngsters playing in teams that like to get the ball on the deck and pass it about but just as important the pitch has to be of at least the equivalent standard of the pitches they are used to playing on.

As the season goes on more and more grass cover is lost and bare areas get colonised by less desirable weed grasses. Thatch builds up and over time this affects playability and plant health. Levels are also lost. There is a bit more to a pitch than just grass. It is normal practice these days and in some ways goes to explain why we don't often see pitches like days gone by.
In the olden days (!960's) the Sincil Bank pitch was well known for its excellence.

Watching the Colchester game on Saturday i was surprised how bobbly the pitch was, didn't notice it at the game.

I've been there twice, but wouldn't mind going back there again. It is incredible what an FA Cup run can help pay for!