Toure | Vital Football

Toure

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
I just saw this clip on social media of Toure talking about his time with us.

He talks about the reasons many of us feared he was a completely unsuitable appointment and never should've been in the running but the people in charge and he himself didn't seem to consider it.

He says he learned he shouldn't have asked the players to do things they couldn't do. You shouldn't need to have had a 20 odd year career in the game to realise this very basic piece of common sense. The fact he needed to have a failed managerial spell before he worked it out speaks volumes about how clueless he is.

I also think that he's disingenuous trying to make out like the issue was the players just couldn't do as they were asked. We were not performing before he arrived, so if we kept performing to that level and unable to improve then maybe he could say it was just down to the players, but when we got even worse under him and after about 3 games we seemed to have completely lost the ability to do even the basics - it's clear he was a very poor coach.

He talks about how it was positive for him and he learned a lot, i'm sure we're all glad our club paid with a relegation and millions of pounds for that benefit...

It really can't be said enough how utterly clueless the previous regime were.

Seems like a nice enough fella but totally utterly delusional. It tends to be the case with all these elite ex-players who try and become managers. They just have absolutely no clue, particularly when they have only ever experienced working with or playing alongside excellent players as is the case of Toure's entire coaching/playing career.

It's very troubling either way how he spent weeks over the World Cup break training with a bunch of aged League One journeymen and couldn't figure out that they'd struggle playing pass-it-from-the back football.

Maloney managed the right balance between defensive organisation and keeping the ball on the ground.

Seems like a nice enough fella but totally utterly delusional. It tends to be the case with all these elite ex-players who try and become managers. They just have absolutely no clue, particularly when they have only ever experienced working with or playing alongside excellent players as is the case of Toure's entire coaching/playing career.

It's very troubling either way how he spent weeks over the World Cup break training with a bunch of aged League One journeymen and couldn't figure out that they'd struggle playing pass-it-from-the back football.

Maloney managed the right balance between defensive organisation and keeping the ball on the ground.
Yip he did certainly find this balance and that paid dividends when he dropped that passing out from the defence suicide football when we went long and Josh scored the winner at Fratton Park.

Very few football managers have the luxury and budget to start a new job and immediately bring in a squad of quality players perfectly suited to their ideal way of playing.

Most managers inherit a squad that is far from ideal and it's literally their job to make the most out of it with maybe a couple of additions if they are lucky.

So I always dislike it when managers says his players can't do what he wants as it's deflecting from his failings as a coach. A good coach picks a style to best suit what he has, a bad coach picks a style despite what he has.

Maloney has been far from perfect but i appreciate the fact that he always says it's his job to get the most out of what he has and work on improving them.

Last edited:
Most managers inherit a squad that is far from ideal and it's literally their job to make the most out of it with maybe a couple of additions if they are lucky.

A good coach picks a style to best suit what he has, a bad coach picks a style despite what he has.
I've only been saying that for the past six months mate, play to the strengths of the the squad you have at your disposal, Maloney hasn't done that!

People argue that "It's job done, L1 survival" etc etc but my God its been awful to watch.

Classic case of square pegs round holes and making half decent players look absolutely shite.

I've only been saying that for the past six months mate, play to the strengths of the the squad you have at your disposal, Maloney hasn't done that!

People argue that "It's job done, L1 survival" etc etc but my God its been awful to watch.

Classic case of square pegs round holes and making half decent players look absolutely shite.

I don't think Maloney's style of play is the issue in itself, as we know it works when we are up for it.

I think it's been more the motivation / mentality drops significantly against sides outside the top 8 and we let ourselves down.

More a case of it being a "make do with what we've got" kind of situation this season. The past couple of games are an indication of how we are going to play next season.

Mind you! It's a shame you're going to miss out with Saturday being your last ever game 😉

I'd argue that Maloney has been doing exactly that. When we were playing "proper football" we started off good before falling off a cliff, and since then we switched to be more pragmatic and boring. But it's got us results.

Yip he did certainly find this balance and that paid dividends when he dropped that passing out from the defence suicide football when we went long and Josh scored the winner at Fratton Park.
Going long isn’t the answer either. You need a target man and players capable of finding that target which has also been woefully lacking this season especially from the goal keeping position.

2 days 3 hours and you'll have no Maloney to moan (incessantly) about forever. You promised not to renew your season ticket = not watching any matches = nothing to comment. Just donate your season ticket money to a more "worthy" cause.
So an advance :wave: from me or as they say "Good riddance to..."

Going long isn’t the answer either. You need a target man and players capable of finding that target which has also been woefully lacking this season especially from the goal keeping position.
I wouldnt advocate a total long ball game but I would favour a more direct approach than the slow tippy tappy garbage we have witnessed for the vast majority of this season. All I want to see is the ball moved forward at pace, sometimes with long passes and sometimes with short passes. It would be nice to see more players taking the opposition on rather than just trying to pass around them and the passing around in defence for the sake of it has to go. Sideways and backwards passing needs to be much less too. This season we started with some potentially exciting forward players for league one in Jones, Godo, Humphs, Wyke and Lang. How did the season turn out so unexciting with those players?