Tottenham's Serge Aurier throws down gauntlet to Kieran Trippier: 'Now is my time' | Vital Football

Tottenham's Serge Aurier throws down gauntlet to Kieran Trippier: 'Now is my time'

Topspur1

Vital Football Legend
Serge Aurier wants to establish himself as Tottenham’s first-choice right-back ahead of England’s World Cup star Kieran Trippier after insisting: “Now is my time.”

Trippier, whose stock has never been higher after his performances in Russia, is not expected to return to training until the week before Spurs’ opening Premier League game, at Newcastle, on August 11.
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ppier-right-back-now-is-my-time-a3895956.html

Music to my ears, this can only be good.

Interesting interview and no mention of KWP by Aurier. Makes you wonder whether Poch will get him a loan this coming season to make sure he progresses. Being the utility full-back who can play both sides could work against Kyle if he's not careful. He needs to play at his age.

Am I the only one who thinks rotating our full backs every game is not a good idea. Stops either of them building momentum. Prob doesnt make much of a difference stat wise but im not a fan of it.

Am I the only one who thinks rotating our full backs every game is not a good idea. Stops either of them building momentum. Prob doesnt make much of a difference stat wise but im not a fan of it.

Real Competition for places by two players with very differing traits/skills is what most fans pray for.

let them fight it out and let Poch decide when to rotate - what more could we ask for?!1

Real Competition for places by two players with very differing traits/skills is what most fans pray for.

let them fight it out and let Poch decide when to rotate - what more could we ask for?!1

It's a tough one as there's definitely merit to the team chemistry argument of having known quantities around you - but equally if we played 1 RB all season in all PL, European and major cup ties they'd be destroyed before the run in.

I think it works well if there's a known first choice and the other is nipping at their heels ready to step up when rotated AND hard to dislodge from first place if the other picks up an injury. There are weeks where we're playing 3 games in 7 days and on those occasions with our system I think it's really important that we have 4 players for those two spots, but when there's only one game a week it doesn't make sense to rotate as much.

I was pleased we signed Aurier and there are small green shots of real potential in him. However he's made more errors in a short time than I remember anyone who has made it at Spurs do in our recent history, so it's going to require pretty rapid progress and no more reds/pens any time soon.

KWP has barely put a foot wrong when given a chance at RB, I'm a bit gutted for him that he has so much competition for his place.

In my opinion it is Tripps position to lose. If Aurier pushes him all the better.

Yes Tripps may not have Aurier's pace, but he does deliver great crosses and a MUCH higher rate. I also think his defensive ability is overall more stable.

I do think Aurier should be given a shot, but damn I think KWP also is an up and comer. We have a very good problem at RB.

Here is a question...can any of them play on the left? (KWP?) To me our weakness is on that side of the defense.

If we use the full backs like we did two seasons ago, we are going to need 2 RWB's and 2 LWB's at the ready. I would even say we need 1 RWB and LWB coming through the ranks just in case.

Doing 100m-200m sprints 20 times a game will feck anyone up. I would have our number 2 back ups on the bench every game. Could be handy swapping with 20 minutes to go as the first choice lads start to run out of gas.

Well Aurier didn't cover himself with glory for Roma's goal. Overplaying in the RB area cost us a clean sheet.

Well Aurier didn't cover himself with glory for Roma's goal. Overplaying in the RB area cost us a clean sheet.

But apart from that he absolutely was a shining light and looks like he really could be some player, wouldn't hang him for one over-play.

If there is one position spurs do well its full back/wing back.

Remember the envy other managers had when spurs had the Walker/Rose or Davies/Trippier combos. Out backups were a distinctly different alternative who were top 4 prem quality.

We sold Walker and Rose went a little off the wall and now we are looking at Trippier/Davies or Aurier/Rose. Its MP's job to find the right blend at the right time but if he can get Rose firing again we have those positions nicely taken care of

But apart from that he absolutely was a shining light and looks like he really could be some player, wouldn't hang him for one over-play.

Just read the match report in the Standard saying he had a great game, along with Lamela, Llorente and Lucas all looking better for having a proper pre-season.

Our last pre-season games had extended highlights on Spurs site. Anyone seen any for this match?

Just read the match report in the Standard saying he had a great game, along with Lamela, Llorente and Lucas all looking better for having a proper pre-season.

Our last pre-season games had extended highlights on Spurs site. Anyone seen any for this match?
Sky are showing the whole game.

Serge was a little caught cold for the goal but Vorm put him under pressure by trying to play the ball out.

Vorm should know by now that Serge has difficulty taking care of the ball. So why throw it out to him. Does anyone know if Serge managed his time on the pitch without making an illegal throw-in?

Vorm should know by now that Serge has difficulty taking care of the ball. So why throw it out to him. Does anyone know if Serge managed his time on the pitch without making an illegal throw-in?

Serge played exceptionally well, and obviously didn't make any silly errors perhaps apart from getting caught for their first goal - he imprressively got better and better after that., and there wasn't even a hint of an illegal throw in ...

Nail on the head brother!

Specifically for Lamela and Lucas...and I will add Aurier to this list too. I am happy to see Llorente scoring...rest assured he WILL be needed and MP must have the balls to pull Kane if he is struggling or tired...or simply having a bad game.