tonights games | Page 4 | Vital Football

tonights games

YB as you know we visited Somme this August..the Worlds largest war memorial at Thiepval is amazing..72,000 names of Officers and soldiers from the UK..We found my wifes Grandfathers brother on the memorial..also a friend of mine asked me to look for his grandfather who was killed.... He gave me his surname and regiment..we found him also..not difficult if you know name and regiment..the records are superb.

The battle field (Newfoundland Park) as it was is maintained by the Newfoundland Regiment (Canadian)..it is so amazing to see the trenches as they were..and the danger tree...an awful history to it..When YB was texting me about it....I was then approaching it!

Take a visit to the Somme..allow 2 days though...the cemeteries of the war dead are simply everywhere and superbly maintained.

Found this thread this morning and was really moved. I have never visited the Somme but it is on my to-do list, as is Waterloo. I went to the bridge over the river Kwai a few years ago. Found the cemetery a few kilometres away and saw all the Norfolks graves, plus my old mob, the Medical Corps. What struck me were the ages of the individuals. The Norfolks were all boys, the medics, mostly professionals, doctors etc, all late 20's and 30's. All my party wanted to move on but i could not leave. Very emotional.

When we visited the Somme we went to the Hyde Park Corner (Royal Berkshire Regiment) military cemetery . It is on the Somme battlefield near Ploegsteert Wood where so many died in the fighting . There you can find the grave of Rifleman Albert French who was just 16 when he killed on the battlefield . He was no more than a boy who was keen to join up and 'do his bit' . We have to try and understand that in the context of the time .Poor Albert was only in France for 44 days before he lost his life . Brave souls indeed and they all deserve our memory.