To dive or not to dive? | Vital Football

To dive or not to dive?

Bluedub

Alert Team
Just watched MOTD, interesting to hear the discussion regarding Walker's push on Sterling. Gullit was adamant that Sterling should've gone down and whilst Shearer stated that he didn't want to advocate diving he conceded that Gullit had a point, what do you think?

My thoughts are that had Sterling dived he probably wouldn't have got the decision anyway and the press and most likely some City fans would be vilifying him for diving when he had a clear chance to score, he would be getting the blame for us not winning the game ( well him and Bravo ).

I think that if Sterling had gone down he would not have gotten the penalty (probably might have earned a yellow card for simulation). I am not a fan of diving and want it stopped but Gullit's point is well made - being honest doesn't get you the just reward. We have said this about Agüero many times and I am certainly pleased he stayed on his feet in 2012 to slam home the winner against QPR when he easily have gone down under the challenge ......history might have been different.

Having seen it several times since I can only now sums that neither Marriner nor the assistant saw it. Marriner was directly behind Walker and quite some way away, the assistant is too far behind the play and not quick enough to catch up - Rose might - might - have obscured his view. I am consoling myself with this version as to believe they saw the push and didn't give the decision.....that way lies madness :029:

It didn't matter what he did, he was never ever going to get the decision, I have seen Aguero fouled numerous times in the area, even seen him fouled twice separtate tackles and got neither, he has received yellows, for some reason Sergio has a reputation for diving and has never dived as far as I know.

Sterling, goes down too easily say the commentators and therefore no penalty, he stays on his feet no penalty and commentators say he should have gone down.

another tick in the pro vtr replays

Paul Hayward on this morning's Sunday Supplement (Sky) reiterated the narrative that Sterling goes down too easily.

Wanyama's manhandling of him in the first half was ignored not sure why - it was obstruction. Sterling himself was penalised against Stoke for putting a hand on his opponent at a corner - instant penalty by Mike Dean (with many, many similar offences never penalised since by referees). I would also now say that Alderweirald clipped Zabaleta's left leg when he was through and ready to shoot in the first half and Rose actually made contact with Sterling first before he made his 'wonder tackle' in the second half. The evidence of decisions not going our way far outweighs any that have this season.

That Rose one was a definite pen but like I've said elsewhere I can get the officials not seeing it.

It was only the replays from the goal line that confirmed my view so I can understand the decision too but just thought I'd add it to the list of grievances just for the sheer hell of it

Yaya: "If Sterling had dived everyone would have been saying, ‘it’s a dive'. If you have a bit of experience like me, you’d maybe dive."

Yaya: "He's too honest. He wants to be proper in these games. If he’s like that, you can’t say he’s wrong if that’s what he tries to do."

BD lmao.

He goes down Skoorb and immediately after the Hammers fans start booing him, they must feel like arsewipes when they see the replay.

as BD's post what does he have to do to get justice, even that Noble tackle on him was NO FOUL