Title Suggestions Required For Referee Articles | Page 2 | Vital Football

Title Suggestions Required For Referee Articles

As a slight aside, "Reffin' hell" was used as the title to a mail from a Lincoln fan published on Football365 on Tuesday.

https://www.football365.com/news/does-solskjaer-show-that-keane-nev-and-henry-picked-the-wrong-jobs

He's echoing the thoughts of most Lincoln (and probably L2) fans about the lack of quality refs down in these parts - making odd decisions against us and the opposition.

Whilst referee’s seem to be the hot topic at the moment, I thought I’d offer my thoughts. I’d like to know the % of people backing up the referee’s who support a team in League 1, League 2 or below. Seriously, pick any game in League 2 this weekend, go watch it, and you will not believe your eyes. The referees are awful! Whilst it may not be a deliberate act by them, it’s hard to not become frustrated. It’s hard to believe until you experience it, but it’s almost as though the referee’s flip a coin to decide which team to be biased towards (I am well aware this isn’t the case).

As a Lincoln fan, I can’t actually think of many times we have been sold short by a referee this season. However, some of the referee’s have been incredibly sh*te against our opposition! We played one game earlier in the season, I think it was Notts County at home, and it’s hard to comprehend how poor that referee was for them. You may be wondering why I’m complaining about referee’s giving the team we’re playing a hard time, but it’s easy to sit back when you’re watching your team and see what a neutral sees and realise it is wrong. As aforementioned, I know that referee’s do not go out there with a deliberate conscience to be one-sided to a certain term, however there are examples, particularly in L2, where this could be a genuine case.

What’s the solution? First and foremost the referee’s below the championship are not full time. The FA need to give these referee’s a full time salary so this is a job that is their sole focus, rather than a builder who fancies it every now and then on a Saturday. Secondly, the training referee’s get is questionable. My friend is a referee and he did a live broadcast in one of their meetings during their training, and it beggars belief how tinpot it all is. The trainer admitted that he wasn’t entirely sure on the majority of the rules, and so if the referee’s made a mistake during their assessments then it probably won’t be picked up and they’ll pass anyway. What?! Shocking.

I want to stress that refereeing is a difficult job and they will not get everything right. However, there are plenty of incredibly easy decisions that they simply don’t get right. If they make the correct call for the easy decisions, then that’s 80% of their job done. I don’t think it helps that there are so many grey areas in football. Those who set and edit the rules need to start ironing out the grey areas into black and white, because some referee’s must be so confused at points during a 90 minute game. Also, managers and players have to do interviews after a game, I’m yet to see one valid reason as to why referee’s can’t. If I’m a referee and I make a bad decision then I want to go to the cameras and justify what I saw and why I made that decision. Is it a case of referee’s showing a bit more character to admit they’ve made a mistake rather than just go and hide after a game? His name escapes me but when Gerrard dived vs Sheffield United in 2006, the referee came to the cameras and explained what he saw and apologised. Great. That’s what we want. Transparency.

We had Mike Dean refereeing our Lincolnshire Derby the other week vs Grimsby. All I can say is, if he is a premier league referee, then it says quite a lot about the state of the officiating in this country.

On a side note, and I know I’m not the only one to think this – do F365 ever think about emailing the journalists that they talk about in Mediawatch? Not sure about anyone else but if I was a journalist and I saw me getting absolutely rinsed by F365 for effectively lying I would die a little bit inside and not do it again. Just a thought. Would be funny to see their responses as well.

As you were.
Rick. (Lincoln).

As a slight aside, "Reffin' hell" was used as the title to a mail from a Lincoln fan published on Football365 on Tuesday.

https://www.football365.com/news/does-solskjaer-show-that-keane-nev-and-henry-picked-the-wrong-jobs

He's echoing the thoughts of most Lincoln (and probably L2) fans about the lack of quality refs down in these parts - making odd decisions against us and the opposition.

Whilst referee’s seem to be the hot topic at the moment, I thought I’d offer my thoughts. I’d like to know the % of people backing up the referee’s who support a team in League 1, League 2 or below. Seriously, pick any game in League 2 this weekend, go watch it, and you will not believe your eyes. The referees are awful! Whilst it may not be a deliberate act by them, it’s hard to not become frustrated. It’s hard to believe until you experience it, but it’s almost as though the referee’s flip a coin to decide which team to be biased towards (I am well aware this isn’t the case).

As a Lincoln fan, I can’t actually think of many times we have been sold short by a referee this season. However, some of the referee’s have been incredibly sh*te against our opposition! We played one game earlier in the season, I think it was Notts County at home, and it’s hard to comprehend how poor that referee was for them. You may be wondering why I’m complaining about referee’s giving the team we’re playing a hard time, but it’s easy to sit back when you’re watching your team and see what a neutral sees and realise it is wrong. As aforementioned, I know that referee’s do not go out there with a deliberate conscience to be one-sided to a certain term, however there are examples, particularly in L2, where this could be a genuine case.

What’s the solution? First and foremost the referee’s below the championship are not full time. The FA need to give these referee’s a full time salary so this is a job that is their sole focus, rather than a builder who fancies it every now and then on a Saturday. Secondly, the training referee’s get is questionable. My friend is a referee and he did a live broadcast in one of their meetings during their training, and it beggars belief how tinpot it all is. The trainer admitted that he wasn’t entirely sure on the majority of the rules, and so if the referee’s made a mistake during their assessments then it probably won’t be picked up and they’ll pass anyway. What?! Shocking.

I want to stress that refereeing is a difficult job and they will not get everything right. However, there are plenty of incredibly easy decisions that they simply don’t get right. If they make the correct call for the easy decisions, then that’s 80% of their job done. I don’t think it helps that there are so many grey areas in football. Those who set and edit the rules need to start ironing out the grey areas into black and white, because some referee’s must be so confused at points during a 90 minute game. Also, managers and players have to do interviews after a game, I’m yet to see one valid reason as to why referee’s can’t. If I’m a referee and I make a bad decision then I want to go to the cameras and justify what I saw and why I made that decision. Is it a case of referee’s showing a bit more character to admit they’ve made a mistake rather than just go and hide after a game? His name escapes me but when Gerrard dived vs Sheffield United in 2006, the referee came to the cameras and explained what he saw and apologised. Great. That’s what we want. Transparency.

We had Mike Dean refereeing our Lincolnshire Derby the other week vs Grimsby. All I can say is, if he is a premier league referee, then it says quite a lot about the state of the officiating in this country.

On a side note, and I know I’m not the only one to think this – do F365 ever think about emailing the journalists that they talk about in Mediawatch? Not sure about anyone else but if I was a journalist and I saw me getting absolutely rinsed by F365 for effectively lying I would die a little bit inside and not do it again. Just a thought. Would be funny to see their responses as well.

As you were.
Rick. (Lincoln).
I didn't read this article when I put the suggestion forward!
Not me Chief!.......I'm engines!!