The Wall with Danny Dyer | Vital Football

The Wall with Danny Dyer

90 percent of what passes for cockney these days originated with " The Sweeney" which was written by a couple of Scots.

I don't mind the faux cockney geezer bit but everything he says is delivered in a loud aggressive tone that I can not abide.

Does anyone know whether he actually is a hard man in real life or just full of sh*t?

There is a lot of fakery on TV. The former jailbird italian chef on ITV, Gino D'Acampo, has apparently lived in this country since 1995 and barely has an accent off screen but-a turns-a it on for the Laaaadies.

I'm afraid that I find, probably all of the 'modern' comedians fail to understand the word 'comedy' and seem to try and force themselves and their 'humour' onto the audiences.
A bit like I am expecting with the new BBC series, where I feel they even have the title wrong - 'The Cockfields'.

Last edited:
Just finished a day's graft, put my feet up, turned on BBC1 and see a new show called "The Wall" presented by cockney Danny Dire. I assume it's a comedy?

"Put the balls in babe"..."Serious amounts of reddies" and "Come on Wall" are some of his lines so far which sounds strange considering he's a West Ham fan. I've survived 5 minutes of this show so far, proud of myself not gonna lie to you lot.

I know he's from Canning Town & does make me laugh sometimes but surely it ain't possible to be that cockney? I bet he speaks really posh to his Mum when he goes round for Sunday lunch. I know people from estates in South London and I've yet to meet ANYONE that speaks as cockney as Dyer, just a hunch the 'fella' is putting on his accent, just a bit.

Just wait until you move to Strood, mucker

Basically Dyer has an image to live up to and is pretty much a "rent-a-cockney" - a younger version of Ray Winstone. I presume he is, and everyone knows he is, basically a caricature of himself and no one actually believes it's genuine. If you see him for what he is, he is actually quite amusing in my opinion - although I'm not always sure he's meant to be! Another one who plays this card to good effect and can be very funny (intentionally) is Micky Flannagan - he's well aware of his playing up of his cockney roots and often says things like "have I mentioned that I'm from the East End?"