The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 86 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

They are nearer 1 a game mate, than 1 in 2 games.
Salah and Lewandowski are better than 1 in 2 I'll give you that, but my response was to someone saying they couldn't name a 1 in 2 striker that we could replace Ings and Watkins with, because they're "not a scout". They are there for all to see - at the top of the scoring charts. You don't need to be a scout to spot the top strikers that could produce better stats than ours. I just looked at this season's stats for the league. Only two players (Salah and Jota - just) exceed 1 in 2 with the next best being Vardy (9 in 19) and Antonio (8 in 19).

Xchurch was probably talking about finding the next 1 in 2 striker as the names mentioned above will not be joining us. My point is at this stage of our development we are well covered with Watkins and Ings and as we create more chances so will their tallies increase.

Spot on. Our job is to find the best way to get these strikers scoring. Give them more chances they will do their job I have no doubt. Confidence is a wonderful thing and bang in a couple of goals and we'll see be seeing them hitting the form of last season etc. Its ridiculous for some people to even think we'd be able to get a top top striker atm

This is such an exciting time to be a Villa fan.

If/when we complete the Digne deal I'd say we will then have 3 genuinely world class 'top 4' players. (Martinez, Digne, Coutinho).

When was the last time we could say that?

Add a couple more in the summer and next season could be very exciting.

Going through the squad now I'd group the players like this -

Top 4 level - Martinez, Coutinho, Digne (if he signs)
Top 10 level - Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins, Ings
Premier League level - Cash, Targett, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson, Buendia, Hause, Nakamba

The good news is that pretty much all of those in the bottom category baring Targett and Hause, still have plenty of room for improvement. We then have the exciting group of youngster coming through.

I don't remember us having such a strong squad in a long time.

This is such an exciting time to be a Villa fan.

If/when we complete the Digne deal I'd say we will then have 3 genuinely world class 'top 4' players. (Martinez, Digne, Coutinho).

When was the last time we could say that?

Add a couple more in the summer and next season could be very exciting.

Going through the squad now I'd group the players like this -

Top 4 level - Martinez, Coutinho, Digne (if he signs)
Top 10 level - Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins, Ings
Premier League level - Cash, Targett, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson, Buendia, Hause, Nakamba

The good news is that pretty much all of those in the bottom category baring Targett and Hause, still have plenty of room for improvement. We then have the exciting group of youngster coming through.

I don't remember us having such a strong squad in a long time.

If we can get Bailey 100% fit again, I think he'd definitely be top 10 material at the very least

Spot on. Our job is to find the best way to get these strikers scoring. Give them more chances they will do their job I have no doubt. Confidence is a wonderful thing and bang in a couple of goals and we'll see be seeing them hitting the form of last season etc. Its ridiculous for some people to even think we'd be able to get a top top striker atm
:clap::clap::clap:
And Gerrard will know this better than anyone, having played with Fernando Torres, who was unstoppable at the Dippers but was never the same player in other teams. It's all about putting the pieces into place to give every player the best chance to succeed. We Villa fans often bemoan the fact that Villa Park has been a strikers graveyard down the years, which is true, but at the same time, strikers need service and support with midfield runners (ie. not Ashley Westwood or Tom Cleverley lol)
Peter Withe was never as prolific once Gary Shaw got his injuries and Morley and Mortimer moved away.

Luiz is 100 percent firmly in the top 10 level. More so than any of those listed . And one that can move up from there.

Luiz is the one I had most trouble grouping as I really do like him. I've been a fan of his and first half against Chelsea went as far as saying he was playing like prime Kaka.

However I just don't think he's found that level of consistency yet and often looks average or gets completely lost in games. He's certainly not far off being a top 10 player but for the ones I put in that group I could imagine a top 10 side making a bid for them. I'm not sure any of the current top 10 would attempt to sign Luiz at present.

Luiz is the one I had most trouble grouping as I really do like him. I've been a fan of his and first half against Chelsea went as far as saying he was playing like prime Kaka.

However I just don't think he's found that level of consistency yet and often looks average or gets completely lost in games. He's certainly not far off being a top 10 player but for the ones I put in that group I could imagine a top 10 side making a bid for them. I'm not sure any of the current top 10 would attempt to sign Luiz at present.
I thought v Yanited that he started to link nicely with Emi2. I'm also hoping that with Philippe in the mix we'll be marching to the samba beat (and I know Emi is not Brazilian but you all know what I mean). Some of the close passing and control was exceptional on Monday night, the kind of football I've dreamt about. I'll admit that I wasn't completely sold on replacing DS with SG (I thought we'd get more or less the same), but he's continuing to win me round with his cheeky smile and bubbly scouse personality :cheers:

With Digne saying that he came to us because of Gerrard it shows the value of having a high profile, big name manager at the club. In no way do I mean this to belittle Smith’s achievements for us but the benefits of celebrity loom large here.
Both players so far have cited his influence on their decisions, so there is no argument from me that Gerrard is a bigger pull than Smith - I count myself as a Smith fan but your logic is impeccable :tophat:

Its so refreshing to finally have a manager who makes changes to affect the game in our favour. I love Smith and his Villa roots but like Bruce before him at crucial times in the game changes were made that had a detrimental effect on the outcome of the game, subbing players 10 minutes to go when winning 1-0 and upsetting the balance of the team and ending up 1-1 or worse used to boil my piss.

So far he has used subs wisely and to good effect.