The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Tony Pulis "for all your son of Newport needs") | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Newport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Tony Pulis "for all your son of Newport needs")

If those figures are correct, we have certainly been overpaying, particularly to be so close to Wreck-some.

They have signed Stephen Fletcher and James McLean ffs. How would any of our lot have that sort of bargaining power? Even Masterson was not getting games at QPR and there is a strong possibility they will be in League One next season.

Even the Swine and Notts Co have signed Austin and McGoldrick respectively who were real statement signings when they joined so would be on a big wedge, and yet their wage bills are half of ours. Weird.

If those figures are correct, we have certainly been overpaying, particularly to be so close to Wreck-some.

They have signed Stephen Fletcher and James McLean ffs. How would any of our lot have that sort of bargaining power? Even Masterson was not getting games at QPR and there is a strong possibility they will be in League One next season.

Even the Swine and Notts Co have signed Austin and McGoldrick respectively who were real statement signings when they joined so would be on a big wedge, and yet their wage bills are half of ours. Weird.
Interesting, GBN. Some very high calibre players in that list. Difference makers don`t come cheap. Also, Stockport signing the likes of Powell, Barrow with Stockton etc. I still wonder whether we`d put all our eggs in one basket in a failed attempt to sign a big name during the recent window. Either way, for GFC there does seem to be somewhat of a recruitment conundrum.

I wonder if the wages in Jan 23 for the imports in that transfer window is where the wages given were well in excess of "normal league 2".

I feel we wont be in the play-offs and in June those non-achievers are let go.

Then SC can claim it is now "his team".

As i said elsewhere the midfield has been as bad as the front line.

Lapslie, Williams, Dieng and Mahoney have under-performed big time.

Currently i'd let Mahoney go back and release the others (if they're not in contract) or sell them (if any takers).

I think another clear-out is needed if the promotion we want is going to happen.

At least 6-8 players need to go.

I wonder if the wages in Jan 23 for the imports in that transfer window is where the wages given were well in excess of "normal league 2".

I feel we wont be in the play-offs and in June those non-achievers are let go.

Then SC can claim it is now "his team".

As i said elsewhere the midfield has been as bad as the front line.

Lapslie, Williams, Dieng and Mahoney have under-performed big time.

Currently i'd let Mahoney go back and release the others (if they're not in contract) or sell them (if any takers).

I think another clear-out is needed if the promotion we want is going to happen.

At least 6-8 players need to go.

Brad himself (or one of the management team) said somewhere that we did indeed have to pay “overs” to get players through the door last season. Would have been extremely tough otherwise to get decent players to join the team bottom of L2.

I think also our wage bill will be fairly high because we have multiple players who I suspect are on very good money for L2. All last seasons purchases (Lapslie, Dieng, Hawkins etc) plus JW, Masterson, Hutton, Malone, maybe Mahoney and the recently departed Bonne and Nichols. Max is probs still on a L1 wage as well.

I’d still be gobsmacked if we are anywhere near Wrexham and Stockport, plus maybe Notts C, Mansfield and a couple of others. It was previously mooted that we had about the 6th or 7th highest wage budget and I’d suggest that is closer to the mark. 4th or 5th would be my guess. Remember crowd income is still the biggest factor in determining wage budget allowed. And we are about 7th or lower for home gates.

It's all very well having quality players on great wages, it's another thing entirely to get those players working together as an efficient unit and giving 100% from the off, every game.
Harris seemed good at the motivation, Clemence seems better at tactics. For us to get into the playoffs maybe we need the motivation up a notch or two.

Didn't brad talk about ways around the fair play rules at the recent forum ?

I can see us paying high wages. Hutton didnt leave Swindon for the lure of living in Medway.

If we want to attract the best we will have to pay.

No matter how you look at it if we fail to reach the playoffs this year thats going to be a below expectation outcome.

Lets hope Andrews can score from open play. If we are reliant on hawkins (decent from det pieces) or Walker (TBA) then we might struggle.

Didn't brad talk about ways around the fair play rules at the recent forum ?

Yes. He said that whilst the guidelines on wages v turnover are strict, equity can be added.

I took that to mean that clubs can't go into debt by overpaying on wages but cash injections from the owners is allowed.

B&S want the club to be sustainable but I'm sure they know that money has to be spent to achieve success.

To me it makes the output of Lapslie, Nichols and Dieng even more galling. Three expensive marquee signings who have completely underwhelmed. It angers me.
The strange thing is that Clough indicated we were offering over the odds to Hawkins and Lapslie when we signed them and yet we also recruited Nichols in the same window and Clough's Mansfield have since seen fit to afford signing him.

Doesn't ring true to me, but who knows?

..... Clough's Mansfield have since seen fit to afford signing him.
As they discussed at the fans forum it's why transfer fees are often not disclosed.

i.e It may be that we took a hit on the fee as Mansfield had to factor in the wages they'd need to pay.

It's all very well having quality players on great wages, it's another thing entirely to get those players working together as an efficient unit and giving 100% from the off, every game.
Harris seemed good at the motivation, Clemence seems better at tactics. For us to get into the playoffs maybe we need the motivation up a notch or two.
You are talking of a even playing field.Harris motivated players he signed some of which had previous connections.The Clemence failing to motivate those same players who clearly bought into Harris's strategy.Clemence clearly wants his teams to work harder especially off the ball .He wants them to get forward quickly when they have possession.
Some of these players simply don't want to have to do that .When they signed things were different we were signing quality.Many were possibly sold on having Hawkins and May up front all season.Simply lump it forward and May assisted by Jonny Williams Nichols Mahoney and co would do the rest .

I'd take those figures with a huge pinch of salt. The source company is really not transparent with where and how it gets its data from, but it does tell us:

'All salary figures are estimates as actual salaries may vary. Unverified players are calculated using algorithms, or sourced from reporting that has not been confirmed yet.'

Basically, gaps filled in with guesswork. The usual caveats about not knowing the exact arrangements of loan agreements too. Always notoriously unreliable. I don't doubt we're among maybe the 5 biggest spenders but I wouldn't take these numbers as gospel at all.

We pinched J Williams from under the nose of Bradford, and Hutton when he was set to sign for Stockport, so both of those will be on a fair whack, presumably we matched or bettered the wages those clubs offered.
Joe Comper admitted we had to overpay to convince players to sign for us last January - when we were in genuine threat of going down to the National League. So Nichols, Lapslie, Dieng, Hawkins would probably fall into that category.
We’ve just paid a fee for Josh Andrews, and Mahoney is said to be our highest earner on £7k+ a week, but I’d expect we only pay around half that with parent club picking up the other half.
Masterson will be on good money to convince him to go from the Championship to League 2, I think we paid a fee for Ogie, and Ehmer has historically been one of the club’s higher earners.

I’m pretty sure all the managers know at least the approximate budgets of all the competing clubs in their league.
It was refreshing hearing Coughlan talk about us in the big budget / higher level setup that they had to battle against; when for so many years it has been Gills in that position.

I'd take those figures with a huge pinch of salt. The source company is really not transparent with where and how it gets its data from, but it does tell us:

'All salary figures are estimates as actual salaries may vary. Unverified players are calculated using algorithms, or sourced from reporting that has not been confirmed yet.'

Basically, gaps filled in with guesswork. The usual caveats about not knowing the exact arrangements of loan agreements too. Always notoriously unreliable. I don't doubt we're among maybe the 5 biggest spenders but I wouldn't take these numbers as gospel at all.

I’ve actually created a listing of the salaries of all the posters on this board based on estimates and algorithms. It’s probably as accurate at the salary league table for footballers.

I’ve actually created a listing of the salaries of all the posters on this board based on estimates and algorithms. It’s probably as accurate at the salary league table for footballers.
This doesn't originate from Wagmi, does it?

If so, it probably also reveals how many ancient midgets each team have in their squads. And how many were signed from Crawley.

I get paid in XXXX and Vegemite. I hope your conversion rate to pounds sterling is accurate.