The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Dunelm Mill "for all your final curtain needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Doncaster Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Dunelm Mill "for all your final curtain needs")

If we play next season like we have mostly the last two months we'll be flirting with relegation. Still think Clemence is out of his depth in L2 being used to coaching much more skillful players at a higher level.

We need the basic Pulis blueprint of a very solid spine : keeper (would love Cummins back), CB and aggressive striker.

Lots of chat on the Doncaster forum about whether they should appeal the keepers red card. He's been given a one game ban.

They all seem to think that for hand-ball he should only have received a yellow and are adamant that it wasn't a red as he didn't prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity.

At the time and confirmed by what I've seen on TV they are deluded.

The defenders header was going in if the keeper hadn't handled it. You can't get a clearer goalscoring opportunity than that.

I like Pete 🫡

Fair enough. I've spent my life spoiled by colour commentary in US Sports like NHL - they know how to add meaningful stuff rather than just blabber and fill-the-air waffle. Maybe it's because it's radio.

I would just like an option for crowd noise. You can keep him :)

Peter Lloyd always was, is,and should be the voice of Gillingham FC on the radio.
He was a Saturday afternoon fixture when Gills were playing away and I was working on our alotment.
Now, half way around the world, he's the comforting voice from home.
I'll not have a word said against the lad.
Lloydy I have no problem with. The RK commentators on the other hand…..! They seem to be oblivious to the fact that if you’re just listening to the radio commentary you can’t see what they can. Often you have no clue as to what is actually happening on the pitch. The other thing is when the action is going on they suddenly start going on about something random like some aspect of the stadium they’re in. Heaven forbid the weather's bad when they turn the commentary into an almost permanent description minute by minute of the weather.

Lloydy I have no problem with. The RK commentators on the other hand…..! They seem to be oblivious to the fact that if you’re just listening to the radio commentary you can’t see what they can. Often you have no clue as to what is actually happening on the pitch. The other thing is when the action is going on they suddenly start going on about something random like some aspect of the stadium they’re in. Heaven forbid the weather's bad when they turn the commentary into an almost permanent description minute by minute of the weather.
What really piddles me off is the long random silence when they go to another match.
Being an exile, I pay to listen to the Gills on iFollow, not silence while they report on Margate.

Absolutely right - I hope that GFC or iFollow doesn`t pay them ! The RK commentators are complete tosh and completely ruin the iFollow sound only broadcast. I think they should stick with cricket.

I note that the goalkeeper has had his red card rescinded. Seems very generous as looking at the replay it definitely looks like the ball’s on its way into the net. But, hey ho, good luck to him.

I note that the goalkeeper has had his red card rescinded. Seems very generous as looking at the replay it definitely looks like the ball’s on its way into the net. But, hey ho, good luck to him.

I queried it after the game as the red was for denying a goal NOT DOGSO.

I'm not surprised.

On the basis of this I can understand it but only if the appeals panel can be sure the ball was going wide of goal. The angle from the Gordon Road Stand was inconclusive in that respect. Perhaps an alternative angle was offered.

IMG_1247.jpeg

On the basis of this I can understand it but only if the appeals panel can be sure the ball was going wide of goal. The angle from the Gordon Road Stand was inconclusive in that respect. Perhaps an alternative angle was offered.

View attachment 72960
I would love to know the full report on why it was overturned.

I would love to know the full report on why it was overturned.
I can only think they used the argument that DJ wasn't going to get to the ball and that there were three defenders covering.

I don't see that as relevant as I remain convinced that the back-header was goalbound.

A the end of the day it doesn't matter. We got our compensation through them going a man down in that game.

I thought the header was going in or at least going towards the 6 yard box and would only have need a touch from the on rushing Jefferies to make sure it crossed the line.
I think they had 2 defenders back though which they would argue could have got to the ball first, I am surprised the red card was overturned though as it looked a clear decision watching it live.

In a bizarre way I think justice has been done to a certain extent as I thought it deserved a red card but don’t see the wider good of suspending a player for such an offence (thought it was more instinctive than deliberate and nobody was going to be physically hurt by it).