The last rights before the end. | Vital Football

The last rights before the end.

DRAGNET

Vital 1st Team Regular
I have stated in a previous post that we are at the point were the condemned man is standing on top of the trap door. The pastor has said his last words on salvation to the individual, whether the condemned man listens or not is another matter (did not cook say the players wont listen to him). After last nights results the hangman has placed the hood over the condemned man, and his hand is on the lever. The only thing which can save the condemned man (WAFC) is the intervention of the governor who ways up all the pro and cons appertaining to this man. Looking at our away record, number of wins, and our inability to hold a lead, our lack of fight ,I could go on and on , I can not see the governor coming to our aid. Now I am a good Christian man who believes that God works in weird and wonderful ways, maybe that is were help for us will come from.

Though I understand (and to an extent, share) your frustration Dragnet, we've got to hope that the players, his staff and the players have a little more belief, steel and gumption.

I'm not saying that they do ........... but I'd be bloody pissed off with them if they didn't.

Though I understand (and to an extent, share) your frustration Dragnet, we've got to hope that the players, his staff and the players have a little more belief, steel and gumption.

I'm not saying that they do ........... but I'd be bloody pissed off with them if they didn't.

I think if they did we'd have seen it before now, but every time we've needed them to stand up and be counted in the big must win games they haven't done it that's why i'm already so bloody pissed off.

They need to break a habit that has characterised this whole season and even Cooks 18+ months here multiple times in the next 9. I hope they do - but i hoped they would in the previous 12 or so 6 pointers and every one of them we were let down so it's hard to have any faith it will happen this time. It is still possible and hope it does but i can't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

I think if they did we'd have seen it before now, but every time we've needed them to stand up and be counted in the big must win games they haven't done it that's why i'm already so bloody pissed off.

They showed some at Derby............then lost it post the catalyst of a wonder goal
They showed more at Reading ...... then lost it (with the help of the Ref?)
They showed a little at Blackburn ........ then self-combusted.

The Hulk was only able to transform when he got really really mad. Maybe, they're now, at last in a position to channel their inner Hulk. (There you are Chaps ........ on a plate for a witty response ........ )

They showed some at Derby............then lost it post the catalyst of a wonder goal

The Hulk was only able to transform when he got really really mad. Maybe, they're now, at last in a position to channel their inner Hulk. (There you are Chaps ........ on a plate for a witty response ........ )

I agree, Moonay, we've been very unlucky in those fixtures, coupled with some refereeing and player mistakes. As a consequence, we lost at Derby when we should/could have won or drawn; we should've won at Reading, and a draw was probably the fair result at Ewood (if anything is fair in football/life). Hence, we could easily have had five points from those games. If there is any justice, as well as statistical balance in football, we should be picking up some lucky points in our remaining matches....although I'm finding it difficult to convince myself that this will happen!

Two of the things I care most about in life, apart from family, namely Latics and the EU, are causing me to be totally pessimistic about the future. I fear relegation to the third tier is the likely outcome for both! ?

I'm sorry none of those 3 were the big type of performances we are talking about needing.

I know we disagree on Derby but for me that was poor, Reading was a poor start but after the goal went in we were better than them until the suicidal subs but it wasn't the warrior like performance you want to see under the circumstances, Blackburn we were OK in first half and diabolical in the second. All 3 sides we played were crap and there for the taking but we just didn't have the fire in our bellies and willingness to metaphorically die on the pitch to get what should've been 3 comfortable wins.

Those 3 were gifts and we should've swarmed all 3 for energy, fight and heart and we just looked like a team who would like a win if possible not a team that needed to win and was desperate to make it happen. Weve seen real heart and true battles where we got 3 points through sheer determination and wanting it more over the years (and some where we came up short but not for lack of will) - this side doesnt have an ounce of that.

Last edited:
While I’m as nervous as the next Latics fan about what COULD happen on Saturday im going to stick my neck out and predict a thumping home win. We are now in excrement or bust territory, which means we have to go for it. I expect every one of our players to be up for it on Saturday. If we get an early goal I expect Bolton to fold like a pack of cards. I just feel despite Tuesday we are close to turning it around IF we get the breaks.

If it goes wrong I will come on here on Saturday ready to be derided for my blind optimism.

I'm sorry you're sorry KDZ, ........ but all you've done is describe (in a few more words) what I summarised.

We've shown some. Not enough, and not for long enough. But some. We need more. I agree.