The player who left thread | Page 227 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

Yup.

All is true about Souness as a player , but as a manager he was shocking.
I think this is a bit over the top. He did very well with Rangers and a good job at Blackburn overall. He won a couple of trophies at Galatasaray as well. He was hardly a great manager but I wouldn't say he was a shocking manager. He had a lot more success as a manager than most.

Yes, agreed, mixed as a manager maybe, but certainly not shocking. But also, he isn't talking as a manager now, he's talking as a pundit and as a pundit WITH massive experience winning things as a player!

Souness' playing career is best remembered for his seven seasons at Liverpool, where he won five League Championships, three European Cups and four League Cups.
You dont get to do all of that without knowing something about the game.

For me its more to do with players like Souness and others from that era saying they'd love to play against him. Yes, going by the rules in the 80's Jack would be kicked off the pitch before half time. However I'm pretty sure Jack would love to play against someone with Souness mindset, as by todays rules he would be in the book after 5 minutes and walking a tightrope for the rest of the game.
A lot of the older pundits seem to ignore the fact the game has changed considerably, even over the last 15 years. Not saying its for the better, but the type of challenges Siouness would put in, are only seen in a Sunday morning league these days

If Jack is a good as some make out then he would have started the restart period in top form showing some of his best football at a time where his club most need it. If he finishes the season putting in the same sorts of performances as he has done since the restart then serious questions will rightly be raised over his ability and consistency.

Very, very few players started the restart in their best form, because of that 3 month layoff. I think he's done as well as any. He's criticised by some for his performance yesterday, whereas our main attacks consisted of him carrying the ball forwards from deep until another player got themselves into a position to receive the ball. He was making the best of an attack which lacked bite.

Very few teams ask a player to carry an attack in the way he has been asked to.

For me its more to do with players like Souness and others from that era saying they'd love to play against him. Yes, going by the rules in the 80's Jack would be kicked off the pitch before half time. However I'm pretty sure Jack would love to play against someone with Souness mindset, as by todays rules he would be in the book after 5 minutes and walking a tightrope for the rest of the game.
A lot of the older pundits seem to ignore the fact the game has changed considerably, even over the last 15 years. Not saying its for the better, but the type of challenges Siouness would put in, are only seen in a Sunday morning league these days
I dont disagree with any of that ggs, I was just earlier making the point that Sounesses criticisms of Jack are merely what a number of us have said over the years.
With regard to Sounness mind set. I am sure if he was playing now along with most of the other resolute defenders of their day they would adapt to the rules as they are now, because they werent only hard, they could play.

JG tweeting his own stats is a bit sad.
His most recent stats pre and post lockdown are nothing to be proud of.
One thing I do know about Grealish is that he is no Sid or Mortimore, no Barry, Milner, Young or Taylor. He needs to get over himself and start playing like Aston Villa actually means something to him.
Welcome mate, I think he is probably trying to convince himself.

Gone to his head hasn't it. Smiling for the cameras as if we're in the champions league spots. As if the lockdown debacle never happened.
Very disappointed with him , the manager, the CEO, in fact not many come out of this with any positives

One thing I do know about Grealish is that he is no Sid or Mortimore, no Barry, Milner, Young or Taylor. He needs to get over himself and start playing like Aston Villa actually means something to him.
Hasn't been at it since project restart. One paced and looks resigned to the inevitable.

Definitely agree it is a bit sad. However, hard to argue with the stats he has posted there. Second only to De Bruyne in chance creation sort of speaks for itself (and how bad we are at finishing chances)

I don’t wholly disagree with what Sounness said (I do find him to be an incredibly dour tv personality but I suppose that is quite entertaining in a way) but I do think that with better players around Jack he will suddenly look very good indeed at ‘seeing the picture’ and we may well see him coached to release the ball sooner (in a team that actually knows the meaning of ‘pass and move’)

I quite like Souness as a pundit (dirty **** of a player) , he's like Roy Keane , direct and independent speaking, can't stand corporate, vanilla pundits like Richards, Jenas, Keown, and all

I quite like Souness as a pundit (dirty **** of a player) , he's like Roy Keane , direct and independent speaking, can't stand corporate, vanilla pundits like Richards, Jenas, Keown, and all
Not sure how Richards ended up on there. Laughing all the way to the bank again by the sound of him.