Team for tonight... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Team for tonight...

Vambogills - 13/2/2018 21:34

We are now 10 points off the relegation spots and 6 points off the play offs. Plymouth are up to 8th - and we thought our turn around in form was good!

Gills v Plymouth is our last league fixture :10:

Glad we did enough in the first half, as we were hanging on a bit at the end there and I would have been disappointed not to have come away with a win.

Putting my shrunken and straw-filled tactical head on, it looked as if we played a 3-5-3 in the first half and totally outplayed them. I reckon the ball was in their half 90% of the time. We won every ball, attacking from the back and defending from the front. The ball was sticking to Eaves and Parker was roaming wherever he liked.

Northampton made a substitution at half time and looked slightly better, but even then, they didn't really look like scoring. So of course they scored, we lost our shape and things started to get hairy. Luckily, SL was able to bring on two experienced heads in Martin and Wagstaff and they calmed us down a bit (and wound Northampton up), which saw us over the line.

So another three points, we're in the top half now and there's a slight gap beginning to open up between the top and bottom halves. All in all, a decent night's work.

Alderman Barnes - 13/2/2018 21:50

Putting my shrunken and straw-filled tactical head on, it looked as if we played a 3-5-3 in the first half and totally outplayed them.

Well the extra man would explain our complete superiority, I guess!

Martin does seem to like winding them up, doesn't he? If I remember rightly he was giving their fans grief in the home game against them after he scored. Did he have a bad time there when he was on loan to them?

Thought Wagstaff was lucky not to get booked for what looked like a blatant dive in injury time.

Great result. Its so nice to look forward to games now rather than dread them... roll on Saturday. Up the Gills!

We really are walking in a Stevie Lovell Wonderland (or is that a Stevie Wonder Lovell land? :69: )

Well done Steve and the boys !!

Onwards and upwards.

I don't know what went on when Martin played there, but their number 28 was certainly riled by him, and as I say, talked himself into a double booking after the whistle. I agree with you about Wagstaff's dive as well. That was pathetic.

If I remember rightly he's won a couple of similar penalties this season where, if I'm being generous, I'd say I wasn't convinced but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. With tonight's incident, I was expecting him to just slow things down and hold onto the ball, when he drove on into the area despite there being noone up with him you could tell what he was after.

Vambogills - 13/2/2018 21:34

We are now 10 points off the relegation spots and 6 points off the play offs. Plymouth are up to 8th - and we thought our turn around in form was good!

True re Plymouth, apart from the fact that they have played a game more than us in both of our revivals and also stole 6 points from us due to incompetent match officials. Regardless, at the start of the season, I saw the last home game of the season v Plymouth as a relegation battle - before xmas, I said to my dad that it would be a dead rubber as we'd both be down. Now it could be a match to nick a playoff place.

madrid_gill - 13/2/2018 21:56

Alderman Barnes - 13/2/2018 21:50

Putting my shrunken and straw-filled tactical head on, it looked as if we played a 3-5-3 in the first half and totally outplayed them.

Well the extra man would explain our complete superiority, I guess!

Martin does seem to like winding them up, doesn't he? If I remember rightly he was giving their fans grief in the home game against them after he scored. Did he have a bad time there when he was on loan to them?

Thought Wagstaff was lucky not to get booked for what looked like a blatant dive in injury time.

I actually thought it looked like Wagstaff was clearly tripped, but I only saw it once on the iPad.

Lovell clearly is a master tactician. I was concerned at the start when he went 3-5-2/3-5-3, as we've been playing solid 4-4-2 under him, but it worked a treat.

Again, we looked a really good side. Totally dominant in the first half, could easily have been 3/4-0 up. After they scored we were under the cosh a bit, but they never really looked like equalising, and although it didn't feel like it when viewing, we saw out the last 10 minutes quote easily.

Theresa May should bring in Lovell to sort out Brexit. I reckon he could also resolve the internal bickering in both the Tory and Labour parties.

I think saving UKIP may be beyond even his majical powers though.

What an incredible job this man has done with a team that were nailed on for relegation. Some on this board thought Ade was getting the best anyone could expect out of them. They must think Lovell is the equivalent of the second coming.

SteveTreacle - 13/2/2018 22:17

I actually thought it looked like Wagstaff was clearly tripped, but I only saw it once on the iPad.

Likewise I only saw it once, perhaps I'm being unfair to him, but my first impression was that he was clearly looking for the penalty and that it looked like a dive. Hope I'm wrong though.

What a win. A superb first half performance. As bad as Northampton were we were simply brilliant!
Eaves and Parker worked tremendously hard and the only disappointment was that we were not more than 2 up.
Second half we took our foot off the gas and their goal sparked a bit of panic! We held on without really looking like scoring again but then SL bringing Martin and Waggy on helped us close the game out with ease.
It?s rare going to away games expecting us to win but I feel like that at the moment.
Steve Lovell is a magician

ThrapstonGills - 13/2/2018 23:49

What a win. A superb first half performance. As bad as Northampton were we were simply brilliant!
Eaves and Parker worked tremendously hard and the only disappointment was that we were not more than 2 up.
Second half we took our foot off the gas and their goal sparked a bit of panic! We held on without really looking like scoring again but then SL bringing Martin and Waggy on helped us close the game out with ease.
It?s rare going to away games expecting us to win but I feel like that at the moment.
Steve Lovell is a magician
Great to hear looking forward to Walsall and the Shrewsbury trip next week.

Ideal last match scenario would be us and Plymouth needing a draw to confirm playoff spots so we both walk through the game :32: