Tactically Inept | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tactically Inept

Completely avoided the question I asked.

If you consider our playing budget was £2.4m (iirc from the last set of accounts) then Scally is taking an eighth of our playing budget in salary. That's a fair chunk and does suggest that we could get more than your "one semi decent player".

Also we don't tend to pay agents fees. As SE said pre season, he has to spend every penny wisely, so £300k would help. Would it mean he'd buy the right player, that's a different question as half the players he's bought don't make the starting XI, some don't even make the squad.

Doubt our top earner is costing the club anywhere near £200k a year, let alone £300k.[/QUOTE]
Well, look at the quality he has brought in and then the quality management and tactics that he has provided too. He is already doing worse than Steve Lovell and there is no denying that he has had this squad long enough for him to have got it to gel. As has been mentioned elsewhere, yesterdays tactics of playing high balls in a swirling wind and against a very tall defence was ludicrous, but there was no encouragement from the bench to change it.
I seriously believe it is time for him to go.

The one doing very well out of this club happens to own it. Nobody has the right to tell him what remuneration he can take from his own business. Sadly the reality is we are only customers, and have only one power to stop what you see as injustice. Stop buying tickets.
You forget that 20% of the shares in the football club are owned by the fans

Also we don't tend to pay agents fees.

You’d probably have to pay transfer fees and agent fees for a higher standard of player. Tom Eaves was an exception. 20 a season consistent goal scorers at our level will command a fee. Marquis was £1m fee for a league 1 player.

Doubt our top earner is costing the club anywhere near £200k a year, let alone £300k.

If I understood correctly from this thread, we need some more quality in the team - better than what we already have. The average league 1 salary is between £2k-£3k per week. Even if we were to pay the average we wouldn’t be attracting the quality that Sunderland have because they can afford to pay £15k per week.

I stand by my comment: if Scally were to forego £300k, we’d only be able to attract maybe one quality addition to the squad. Ain’t gonna make much difference! This is all just a convenient excuse for a bit of Scally bashing.

Maybe if he were to forego £100,000, we might attract a better quality man manager and tactician. What we have is useless at both.

You’d probably have to pay transfer fees and agent fees for a higher standard of player. Tom Eaves was an exception. 20 a season consistent goal scorers at our level will command a fee. Marquis was £1m fee for a league 1 player.

If I understood correctly from this thread, we need some more quality in the team - better than what we already have. The average league 1 salary is between £2k-£3k per week. Even if we were to pay the average we wouldn’t be attracting the quality that Sunderland have because they can afford to pay £15k per week.

I stand by my comment: if Scally were to forego £300k, we’d only be able to attract maybe one quality addition to the squad. Ain’t gonna make much difference! This is all just a convenient excuse for a bit of Scally bashing.

SE stated pre season it was his job with the budget he was given to improve the squad all over the pitch, that means a better quality of player. Clearly he thought it was possible, but hasn't delivered. Think he might have liked another 300k in the budget.

If you look back over recent seasons we don't pay a lot in terms of agents fees, one of the lowest in our division. We can't pay transfer fees and don't compete in terms of wages with most clubs so it's hardly surprising we don't attract a better quality of player, but an extra 300k can't hurt. One thing is certain, the 300k in Scallys pocket is definitely not going to get us better quality on the pitch. It's not rocket science, if you're not willing (or can't being more likely in our case) to pay the wages or agents fees stop expecting quality footballers (Scally and SE, not you) it doesn't happen.

All the time Scally is here we will not change as a club, its just a revolving wheel, with talk of amibition but what actually talks is money, and under PS we don't have it to do anything other than survive. That's not Scally bashing, that's fact.

Last edited:
It's two fingers up to the fans though, Scally is living off a very healthy wage while each manager is given peanuts to spend.

It does make me laugh the Gills twitter account sign everything off with #InThisTogether are we really though? One man is doing very well out the club, the rest of us have to watch the same shit year after year with no proper investment.
....................................Completely avoided the question I asked.[/QUOTE]

It might have meant we got one of those strikers that escaped us in the transfer window.

If he was taking out an average benefits package & salary for a team of our size, i think he'd have most people behind him. On balance i am behind Scally anyway and he has run the club well- its just the budget contrast with his salary jars a bit for many.

SE stated pre season is was his job with the budget he was given was to improve the squad all over the pitch, that means a better quality of player. Clearly he thought it was possible but hasn't delivered. Think he might have liked another 300k in the budget.

If you look back over recent seasons we don't pay a lot in terms of agents fees, one of the lowest in our division. We can't pay transfer fees and don't compete in terms of wages with most clubs so it's hardly surprising we don't attract a better quality of player, but an extra 300k can't hurt. One thing is certain, the 300k in Scallys pocket is definitely not going to get us better quality on the pitch. It's not rocket science, if you're not willing (or can't being more likely in our case) to pay the wages or agents fees stop expecting quality footballers (Scally and SE, not you) it doesn't happen.

All the time Scally is here we will not change as a club, its just a revolving wheel, with talk of amibition but what actual talks is money, and under PS we don't have it to do anything other than survive. That's not Scally bashing, that's fact.

So you expect Scally to do the job for free?

We’ve seen the tables showing how much the respective League One chairmen pay themselves. I’d be interested to see the total costs for executive positions in each club. I believe Scally carries out a lot of functions that the average chairman wouldn’t.

So you expect Scally to do the job for free?

We’ve seen the tables showing how much the respective League One chairmen pay themselves. I’d be interested to see the total costs for executive positions in each club. I believe Scally carries out a lot of functions that the average chairman wouldn’t.

Don't think anyone is of the opinion that he should do it for free. PS has done very well out of GFC, but as I said anything extra to go into the budget of the 300k he pays himself would be beneficial. Not only do we have PS consultancy fees we now have our new man's salary (whatever his title is). As I understood it he was taken on to do the day to day running of the club to free Scally up to concentrate on securing the new investment for the Scallydome.

Because he took a £300k salary, a £90k loan, so £400k out the club in the last set of accounts and added to that now the new man's salary, that is fair chunk of money.

FFS - a loan has to be repaid. How many times?

And, if we’re being accurate, he never took a £300k salary.

You’re distracting from the point: £300k ain’t gonna make much difference.

Circa £100k in expenses too.
If you believe that the £311k consultancy fee is all he took out that tax year then it’s a bit naive.
However I do agree that even without this it would probably only amount to 1/2 players difference in the squad, but if you add up what he’s paid himself since he bought the club it’s several million pounds .

Where did I say the loan didn't have to be repaid??

The fact that he has loaned himself money means that money is not currently available for the use of GFC. When and how it is repaid is a different matter.

If 300k ( or whatever his fees were) is fuck all I'm sure he can double it, we won't miss it as it will only be one maybe two players, that won't make a difference.

After all we've got enough quality players already.