Tabloids | Vital Football

Tabloids

The support for the Nazis wasn’t unique to the Mail. The Express and The Telegraph were also given to the odd word of praise for Hitler and his gang. William Shirer in his book “The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich” mentions the Mail and particularly it’s praise for Hitler’s economic policies and his laws controlling the German trades unions.

That's one of the reasons why the rag is sometimes called The Daily Heil.

In the 1930s, the Daily Mail were Fleet Streets' biggest supporter of Oswald Mosley and his Blackshirt Fascists.

It has remained in the gutter even to this day.

Yeah, is brought up many times to be fair.

I don't buy any of the papers, some of the tabloids are (or were) good for sport, the rest is biased junk. Most of the broadsheets as well no doubt.

I've learnt something today.

I knew Hitler had supporters over here before he went completely cuckoo and obviously I've caught the 'sporting' gestures, the Royal twang (hence name change) and even German Shep to Alsatian etc - but Daily Heil is a new one for me, I've only ever known Daily Fail.

As said by others, a fair chunk of the British establishment was in favour of the Nazis. Churchill, who has been given a bad press of late, wasn’t one of them.
He had some views which were racist and down right imperialistic but he wasn’t a fan of Hitler and his crew.