Swans v Sheff Utd | Vital Football

Swans v Sheff Utd

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
A tasty treat in store for the Jacks on Saturday night as we start our first league home fixture of the season, with recently relegated Sheffield United the visitors.
We also welcome back fans, with a 16k limit, including away support.
Both teams have new managers with new ideas and both lost their opening games.
Added interest comes with two players returning, McBurnie and Brewster, and knowing our record against ex-players, I won’t be surprised if they both score.
Unlike us the Blades have kept their best players in the hope of a quick return to the PL, whereas when we came down we had a fire sale and sold anything that moved.
After the confidence booster of a resounding 0-3 win in the EFL Cup at Reading mid-week, albeit against a weakened team, Swans fans will be looking forward to seeing the new style of football on display.
It’s a sell out of permitted numbers but some season ticket holders may not show on the night due to nervousness about Covid and the match being live on Sky, plus a ghastly kick-off time of 20:00 on a Sat night.

The teams:
Swansea City: Steven Benda; Ben Cabango, Brandon Cooper, Jake Bidwell; Joel Latibeaudiere, Flynn Downes, Matt Grimes (captain), Ryan Manning; Jamie Paterson; Jamal Lowe, Liam Cullen.

Substitutes: Lewis Webb, Lincoln Mcfayden, Dan Williams, Yan Dhanda, Morgan Whittaker, Kyle Joseph, Joel Piroe,

Sheffield United: Aaron Ramsdale, George Baldock, Chris Basham, John Egan, Jack Robinson; Oliver Burke, Sander Berge, Oliver Norwood, David McGoldrick; Billy Sharp (captain), Rhian Brewster.

Substitutes: Michael Verrips, John Fleck, Oli McBurnie, Luke Freeman, Jayden Bogle, Ben Osborn, Rhys Norrington-Davies.

Six players were out for the Swans - Kyle Naughton and Ryan Bennett picked up minor knocks, Korey Smith and Liam Walsh also missed out through injury.
Not forgetting Jay Fulton also out, last match of three match ban and Connor Roberts injured long term.

Last edited:
Sheff Utd’s Manager Slavisa Jokanovic:
Watford 36 matches 58% win rate (won promotion to PL 2015)
Fulham 145 matches 44% win rate (won promotion to PL 2018)

Swans Head-Coach Russell Martin:
MK Dons 80 matches 37% win rate

Swans 0 - Sheff Utd 0
Att: 15,946
Possession: 63% - 37%
Shots: 8 - 8
On target: 1 - 2
Corners: 1 - 6
Fouls: 8 - 14
Cards: 1Y - 2Y

RM -
"I think there were a lot of positives to take from it. I think the players went out and played in the way we asked them to. We had control for a lot of the game. I think we lack the fitness we really need to do it for 90 minutes and to keep control at the moment .
We limited them to very little. We probably didn't have as much as we would have liked in the final third but, on the whole, in terms of what the players are giving us and what we're asking them to do, they are doing brilliantly because we played against a team that is going to be right up there tonight."

Man Utd’s young defender Ethan Laird watching on from the stand last night. Medical due today. Season long loan. He played for RM last season at MK Dons.

I really like what RM is trying to do with the team, having seen us in action last night in our first home match plus fans as well, JA in fine voice. All that’s missing at the moment are goals and I’m sure that will come.
It was a 3-4-2-1 formation
Benda
Cabango - Cooper - Manning
Lati - Downes - Grimes - Bidwell
Cullen - Patterson
Lowe
Who’d have thought Manning would be man of the match at left centre-back. Lati at wing-back looks pacey. A great Championship debut from Brandon Cooper. I like the look of new boy Flynn Downes, he faded second half but to be expected until match fit.
Up front Cullen, Lowe, and subs Whittaker and Piroe the only disappointment, but still early days as the team start to gel.