Stan Bowles | Vital Football

Stan Bowles

Great player, a one-off, and a great character. Footballers just aren't the same anymore.

I recall him being sent off at the Bank in the early '80s when playing for Brentford for a bout of petulance. A hugely talented player, who never realised his full potential - he came from an era of gifted English players who brightened our lives, but somehow fell short of where their talent should have really taken them, mainly due to their lifestyles.

RIP Stanley - a footballing maverick who should’ve won a Division 1 winners medal with QPR in 75/76.

He played for Forest in the Bert Loxley testimonial in 79’ I recall.

I was lucky to have seen him play and in later years meet him boozing. There’s a photo of us together. Worthington, Bowles, currie, marsh, all great entertainers who didn’t get the international exposure they deserved.
RIP Stan (born is the king of loftus road)

Very sad to see this plus the news that Chris Nicholl who was a fine defender in the 70's and 80's has also passed away. Both had been suffering with dementia which is a god awful ailment. It's very sad to see how many ex-professionals from that era are suffering with that nowadays. From a personal level, and it's a very personal level, a cure for this needs prioritising.

Privileged to see him orchestrate a win for QPR at Everton (sorry Clive!), Duncan McKenzie on the pitch for the Toffees, so two of the great mavericks in one afternoon. Another too soon and for the wrong reasons and a reminder all contact sports need to understand their duty of care.

I recall him being sent off at the Bank in the early '80s when playing for Brentford for a bout of petulance. A hugely talented player, who never realised his full potential - he came from an era of gifted English players who brightened our lives, but somehow fell short of where their talent should have really taken them, mainly due to their lifestyles.
We played Brentford in March 82 and 83 at the bank, he was at Brentford then.

He played and scored for Crewe against us in a 2-2 draw at Sincil Bank in January 1971. I don't have any recollection of the game though.

Privileged to see him orchestrate a win for QPR at Everton (sorry Clive!), Duncan McKenzie on the pitch for the Toffees, so two of the great mavericks in one afternoon. Another too soon and for the wrong reasons and a reminder all contact sports need to understand their duty of care.
I was at that game as my brother is a staunch Evertonian am I correct that QPR won 3-1 I seem to remember my brother and fiends getting threatened by a group of QPR fans who were sat in the main stand at Goodison who took offence to the abuse that Bowles was getting as he was taking Everton apart!!

I was at that game as my brother is a staunch Evertonian am I correct that QPR won 3-1 I seem to remember my brother and fiends getting threatened by a group of QPR fans who were sat in the main stand at Goodison who took offence to the abuse that Bowles was getting as he was taking Everton apart!!
Small world! 3-1 was indeed the score. I was in the Bullens Road Stand (hadn't changed when the Imps played there in 2019) and the atmosphere was toxic.