Son appeal.. | Vital Football

Son appeal..

Harsh in the context of way referees have been officiating games for the last couple of seasons. Not harsh at all in the context of the rules of the game that the refs are supposed to be following. The only problem I have with it is the inconsistency of the referees. You just know that if James Milner or Fernandinho had done that it would have been a yellow. You also know that if a mass argy bargy session had followed and loads of players dived in, the ref would have bottled it and handed out 2 yellows.

That means it's not worth appealing as whilst The FA's law enforcers don't follow the rules, they will of course quote them back at us and enforce them when we appeal. We could turn up with 10 more videos of other players doing exactly the same thing and not getting red and it won't matter.

It's rough justice, but the way it is.

However, if it means appealing and shining another light on the inconsistency of referees then every little data point helps.

It's clear as day that Lerma punched Son in the back whilst kicking at his feet. Whether the FA will care about that, I have no idea, but I expect they will make the red stand whilst not taking any action against Lerma.

I don't have any faith in the FA to deal with a tricky situation like this with any competency. They will say "Son should not have reacted in that way" and of course they will be right but we see players push each other every week but what we don't see is that sort of provocation by Lerma and then such play acting to get a player sent off. Its disgusting.

Harsh in the context of way referees have been officiating games for the last couple of seasons. Not harsh at all in the context of the rules of the game that the refs are supposed to be following. The only problem I have with it is the inconsistency of the referees. You just know that if James Milner or Fernandinho had done that it would have been a yellow. You also know that if a mass argy bargy session had followed and loads of players dived in, the ref would have bottled it and handed out 2 yellows.

That means it's not worth appealing as whilst The FA's law enforcers don't follow the rules, they will of course quote them back at us and enforce them when we appeal. We could turn up with 10 more videos of other players doing exactly the same thing and not getting red and it won't matter.

It's rough justice, but the way it is.
I kind of agree with you, but in that melee Son was also pushed. So why wasn't the player that rushed in and push him dealt with?
Personally I think the ref realised he maid a mistake in not sending off Dier and was looking to make up for it, they should have had a blatant penalty IMO.

I kind of agree with you, but in that melee Son was also pushed. So why wasn't the player that rushed in and push him dealt with?
Personally I think the ref realised he maid a mistake in not sending off Dier and was looking to make up for it, they should have had a blatant penalty IMO.

If you're talking about Dier on Wilson, I disagree. The first offence was an upper body foul from Wilson on Dier. All the commentary team kept looking at the ball and talking about Dier kicking the back of Wilson's foot.

They missed the obvious and that was Wilson playing our man in the first place. Anything after that is academic. Dier was there first and had got between Wilson and the ball. Wilson raised his left arm to manoeuvre Dier out of the way and gained an unfair advantage. He would never had got into a position to be fouled without playing the man.

Said at the time that the pure verdict was a foul to Spurs.

The outcome
If you're talking about Dier on Wilson, I disagree. The first offence was an upper body foul from Wilson on Dier. All the commentary team kept looking at the ball and talking about Dier kicking the back of Wilson's foot.

They missed the obvious and that was Wilson playing our man in the first place. Anything after that is academic. Dier was there first and had got between Wilson and the ball. Wilson raised his left arm to manoeuvre Dier out of the way and gained an unfair advantage. He would never had got into a position to be fouled without playing the man.

Said at the time that the pure verdict was a foul to Spurs.
the outcome of it all was that there was no foul by anybody which is just ridiculous .
It just reinforced the incompetence of the referee.
How he could just ignore the blatant foul on Alli in the last minute from the corner is also beyond comprehension . This was the very action the football world was tasked with eliminating at the World Cup . The ref was only ten foot away with nobody blocking his view . That he chose to ignore it or consider it not to be a foul only puts him on the Mike Dean dinner companion guest list .

The outcome

the outcome of it all was that there was no foul by anybody which is just ridiculous .
It just reinforced the incompetence of the referee.
How he could just ignore the blatant foul on Alli in the last minute from the corner is also beyond comprehension . This was the very action the football world was tasked with eliminating at the World Cup . The ref was only ten foot away with nobody blocking his view . That he chose to ignore it or consider it not to be a foul only puts him on the Mike Dean dinner companion guest list .

And David slew Goliath :-)

A well known fact that unconscious bias is more likely to happen in a high pressure situation. Makes you wonder whether referees even take that training course based on some decisions made on the pitch.

And David slew Goliath :-)

A well known fact that unconscious bias is more likely to happen in a high pressure situation. Makes you wonder whether referees even take that training course based on some decisions made on the pitch.
Or any training course . I really understand your point on unconscious bias .
It’s something that really needs looking into .
Something else that in my opinion needs addressing is the way refs are “ looked after “ before and after matches :
In my opinion every venue should have an identical referee facility with identical welfare arrangements that cannot be altered in any way no matter what club or league they attend . I’m not saying that refs do get their heads turned ..................

Son showed a complete lack of professionalism and lost the plot which could have cost us a CL place....hopefully a big lesson learned for the lad....he deserved to go simply because you cannot shove a player to the ground like that under the refs eyes and get away with it....especially if you play for Spurs of course.

Son showed a complete lack of professionalism and lost the plot which could have cost us a CL place....hopefully a big lesson learned for the lad....he deserved to go simply because you cannot shove a player to the ground like that under the refs eyes and get away with it....especially if you play for Spurs of course.
I agree with you 100% up to the point you say Son shoved him to the ground. Lerma was seeking the response by punching him in the spine and stomping his hand, and ready to fall.

Pawson even saw that first body-check, evidenced by the point, but did nothing. If you are a referee and you see trouble brewing between two players it is your responsibility to calm it down before something happens.

Lerma was obviously Bournemouth's rent-a-goon for the day OR he has a problem with Son for some reason. Either way, if Son's red stands I hope the FA retrospectively give Lerma a longer ban for violent conduct and play acting to deceive the ref.

Refs have an agenda with Spurs. Most refs do not send off a second man unless it is a stonewall violent challenge, but with Spurs, they always will.

Nice tin hat

Foyth put in a dangerous challenge and deserved to be given a red.

Absolutely retarded challenge.

In many ways the body check is worse, because there's only 2 people involved, the perpetrator, Lerma and the victim, Son. The ref is practically next to them and Lerma's movement is obvious and blatant. I was screaming at the TV.

With the second one, I must admit I didn't see either the kicking the hand or the punch. I was screaming at Son or being the idiot.

Pawson is ultimately the problem here. If Pawson just follows the rules and the yellow card is given to Lerma and the free-kick given then Lerma's had his one indiscretion and is walking the second yellow tight rope for the rest of the game. He then doesn't take the risk on Son a few minutes later unless he's caught and lets his manager down. It's the same story, different characters every weeks with the refs ignoring the rules nowadays. Bring on VAR.

What was also interesting was at the end of the game when Lerma was still being a pain, it was Wanyama that got in his face. The body language was quite funny and Lerma was not exactly being the alpha of the pack with Big Vic around, put it that way.