SL, funds and next season. | Vital Football

SL, funds and next season.

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
Why do players who are good enough to push for promotion to the Championship one month suddenly look bereft of ideas and start panicking at the idea of passing a ball? How can a manager go from inspiring a squad of bargain basement cast offs and low wage earners to play high tempo, pressing and attacking football one week against a top side and yet look like strangers against a relegation struggler?
The answer (for me) is quality of player. I cannot claim to have heard of anyone signed by AP or PT when he came in. The pattern was clear though. PS had wedged out for JED who didn't sustain any form in the side and we slid away down the table. AP sold him a dream to survive on a shoestring and failed. SL took over and polished the turd (with no disrespect to those players who do put in a regular shift). Sadly the gloss on the turd has worn off as some players have realised they will not be here at the start of next season and the shape of the team has left huge holes in midfield that Dack used to patrol and create in. I believe 2 things will bring success. 1. SL is on contract and has proved that he can motivate players and apply tactics to affect games positively. He has earned the right to put his own side together that can properly challenge. 2. PDPS has to back him with funds to be able to make that challenge. He must invest to bring in the 2 or 3 solid playmakers that we so massively miss. Failure to do that in any meaningful way will deliver the same result next season.
I like SL and hate the fact that the team are struggling to replicate every week the performances that he got to drag us from the brink on that splendid run. I will be back next season roaring on my team, but will be keeping a close eye on PDPS in the close season to see how committed he is to getting the best return from the contract he gave SL.

Problem is you can spend biggish money and still have a team of turds attitude wise (not referring to any QPR loanees in particular of course), hence the rumours of rotten eggs that had to be cleared out last summer.

Easy to blame the manager but it happens to other teams too. On League One message boards, Bury fans hold a player called Maguire responsible as one of those that have caused the problems this year and yet fans of Oxford United, from where he was lured by money, rated him as their best player.

That is why I think that either Scally or AP said last summer that they would study each player's character as much as their ability before signing them. Unfortunately, by the time we had learned that lesson the budget had shrivelled to nothing because of having to continue to pay JET and then the cost of paying off Wright.

WK: should be an ****! Just saying for the sake of accuracy knowing that spelling/grammar have been important to you previously.

Depends on whether the **** starts with an a or a c to be fair.

I'm guessing by the tone it was a c so Wayne is actually correct.