Skittled | Page 2 | Vital Football

Skittled

westbanker - 22/3/2018 15:32

Preston away Feb 99, must have been -10 with the wind chill, left as the 5th goal went in.

This one for me too

I couldn't leave. Was on a freebie in the Director's Box - yeah, yeah, I'd love a post-match drink in the bar or maybe you could just shoot me now.

westbanker - 22/3/2018 15:32

Preston away Feb 99, must have been -10 with the wind chill, left as the 5th goal went in.

I stayed to the bitter end.

John Vaughan got a standing ovation from the Preston supporters, I know he was ex Preston. But, he did keep the the score down much in the way the Bournemouth keeper had done at Sincil Bank 15 years or so before.

Been too many over the years but the 5-0 at Preston, the 5-0 at Stockport and the 7-1 at Bury are all up there but I remember two thrashings at Blackpool a 5-0 around Xmas in 1990 and then a 3-0 where I think we finished with 9 men and when I got back to the car I had a £25 parking ticket.

One thing after the Barnet 6-0 debacle we had two away games at Carlisle and Maidstone and won them both 2-0 I think??

The Barnet humiliation, plus Watford thumping us at Sincil Bamnk after buying our staff.

Wycombe beating us on the last day of the season to send us back into the bottom tier.

6-2 at Mansfield in 1995 I think?
Pretty sure it was either 1-0 or 0-0 at halftime?
We levelled, then they took lead so we decided to leave, got to the top of terrace 3-1, got out the ground 4-1, got back to the car and heard the fifth go in!
We headed out of the Mansfield with the radio to hear the scores to find out we lost 6-2!!!!

Warrington Imp - 22/3/2018 17:31

I remember two thrashings at Blackpool a 5-0 around Xmas in 1990 and then a 3-0 where I think we finished with 9 men and when I got back to the car I had a £25 parking ticket.

The 5-0 was a real corker too. It was perishingly cold and we didn't have a shot until the 89th minute (David Puttnam, if I remember rightly). Thommo had just taken over and was trying to sort the shambles created by Allan Clarke. Blackpool was a low point, we picked up after that.

GertLushImp - 22/3/2018 19:46

I think Russell Hoult was our goalie in the 0-6 Barnet debacle . A very good keeper

Not that day, he wasn't.

I have a feeling the Barnet game was his FL debut.

Warrington Imp - 22/3/2018 17:31

Been too many over the years but the 5-0 at Preston, the 5-0 at Stockport and the 7-1 at Bury are all up there but I remember two thrashings at Blackpool a 5-0 around Xmas in 1990 and then a 3-0 where I think we finished with 9 men and when I got back to the car I had a £25 parking ticket.

One thing after the Barnet 6-0 debacle we had two away games at Carlisle and Maidstone and won them both 2-0 I think??
Went to 3-0 defeat that was around October 1991, played on a Sunday due to the Tory party conference. Lee and Gary West were sent off from memory?
We joined on the crumbling overgrown with weeds terracing by a group of Queen of the South fans who were well oiled :glug:
Beat them 2-0 on the last day of that season, two Carmichael penalties.
Lively ending :wack:

Scotimp - 22/3/2018 19:55

I think Russell Hoult was our goalie in the 0-6 Barnet debacle . A very good keeper

Not that day, he wasn't.

He'd played in the previous game away to Rochdale (lost 0-1).

David imp I had forgotten all about this Queen of the South fans turning up, they only stayed until half time and did not think much of our support for the team.

Scotimp - 22/3/2018 19:55

Not that day, he wasn't.

Wasn't it Simon Brown? And pretty sure he never played for us again after that. I was there that day. And at the Rotherham game too, the one City match I have left early.

I think either the Bury (Ryan Lowe) procession or the Rotherham game, I think I cheered when Katukya was sent off, was the worst of the lot for me. Aldershot was just the final nail in the coffin.

Re the Barnet game - Russell Hoult played in that match and the previous game at Rochdale. They were the only two games he played for City that season on loan from Leicester.

He returned for a second spell on loan from Leicester, playing in 15 league games for City from the start of the 1994/95 season.

Simon Brown's one game for City on loan from Spurs was in the 5-1 defeat at Peterborough in December 1997 that's also been mentioned.

The Rotherham 0-6 was Elliott Parrish's first game in goal.

The Derby 0-7 think we had Alan Judge in goal.

One lesson from these heavy defeats is you need an experienced keeper that fits in with the rest of the team.

The aforementioned Rotherham game sticks in my mind, they had lost 5-0 at Chesterfield a week earlier and this was going to be their only win in a 13 match spell. We had made something like 6 changes from the team that had narrowly lost at Stevenage the weekend previous. Trevor Carson had returned to Sunderland before being sent out on loan to Brentford to warm their subs bench up. Elliott Parrish was his replacement on loan from Aston Villa and was looking to impress. The prolific Ben Hutchinson :he he: was the replacement for our leading scorer Ashley Grimes.

The match itself was fairly anonymous, Parrish looked like a rabbit trapped in the headlights, Hutchinson didn't look interested, their first goal came after an almighty melee in the penalty area and the ball only just trickled over the line. The other goals went in at regular periods and I didn't realise until I got home that Kanyuka was sent off as he and the rest of the team didn't really turn up that night.

It was so bad that some of our fans did a conga during the second half to keep the spirits up. It took a day or two after the game for the result and performance to really sink in especially as Rotherham lost their next two home matches against Shrewsbury & Morecambe (who we did the double against). As for us the rest as they say is history. :oops: