Should Pompey help out Mike Hall? | Vital Football

Should Pompey help out Mike Hall?

Pompeytim

Vital 1st Team Regular
So, Mike Hall is facing a battle to extract legal costs from Najadi, the man who attempted to sue Hall for, what he claims was unfounded allegations of shady doings.

Hall defended the case, but Najadi has retreated to Russia & his father has recently been assassinated.

This means that Hall is going to struggle to recover the costs of defending the action. A bill of around £20k.

Hall's investigative journalism was, in most people's opinion, key in the downfall of the Chanrai era, and staved off potential back-door attempts to buy the club via Harris.

Potentially Hall is a Pompey hero?

Or, Hall did some great work re: Chanrai, and became a bit gung-ho with his output & went too far with Najadi, not investing the time to ensure his facts were as well grounded as with his previous pieces.

Hall faces bankruptcy, so should the club pay his fees?

DISCUSS (20 marks, 18 minutes)

I've been thinking about this one too Tim and it is a tricky one. There's no doubting his investigations shed a light into a shady goings on and potentially strengthened the trusts position. However, he had the opportunity to retract what he said and apologise. He chose not too. He must have been aware what the consequences would be of that.
I've come to the conclusion that the club shouldn't pay his fees. However, the Trust should consider it as he bettered their position and basically dis-counted the opposition. Cannot believe our legal system would allow someone to be bankrupted defending their case. Everyone is equal, especially those with money?

what a good topic for debate, and hope it generates plenty.

mike hall, quite clearly, made a huge difference in our getting our club to a place where we could have a future and for that he should be thanked more than words could put into place i guess...

should he be thanked to the tune of £20k from the club?

i like the guy, very knowledgable about things and very passionate but - sorry mike - he already draws a wage from the club with him employment, and earns the cash, but no convinced that the club should foot the bill for his legal issues.

agree with Jake tho, what sort of legal system would allow a person to bankrupt themselves defending themselves!

He did well for Pompey, but Pompey are absolutely skint, every penny going out is monitored by the League, although partly due to Mike Hall Pompey are still alive and hopefully recovering, I dont think have the money to spend on any single person who chose to do what Mike did.

Looks like some fans have razzled up £1,000 towards it. He seems to want to pursue Najadi further, and says he'll be running up further costs. Would probably suggest stopping where you are & not make it worse.

The guy has sold his house & everything. If nothing else, I admire his commitment to this.

If he had apologised he would have open himself to more shit from Najadi, basically admitting guilt.

it sure is some committment isnt it, and clearly he feels he is right (and almost certainly is) unfortunately those battled with have deeper pockets and longer arms.

Don't know a great deal about this, but admire the guys commitment to trying to unravel some of the farcical goings-on at FP over the last few years.

However, PFC needs to be kept right out of it on an official footing, so that [however unlikely] they are not seen as supporting an opinion that could land them in court which we can ill afford.

Don't mind people shaking a tin in his support, people can make an individual choice then whether to support or not - but Pompey just need to stay away from contentious issues and court appearances for a while please :110: