Short breaks in the UK | Vital Football

Short breaks in the UK

berksimps

Vital Football Hero
Thought I would give a mention to the North Pennines. Have never been to the area before and we are staying for a few days in Nenthead, the highest village in England? The scenery is stunning as are some of the towns and villages of Teesdale and Weardale, and the roads offer amazing drives.
Barnard Castle was a starting point today, it’s beautiful as is the Bowes Museum and there is of course Barney’s school. We called on High Force waterfall on the way. The journey from BC to Stanhope is unreal. Worth a look.

Last edited:
Forest of Bowland is an overlooked gem; passed on the way as it is on the way up to the Lake District. Situated between the coastal area near Morecambe to the West and the North Yorks waterfalls to the East and of course just South of the Lake District. All easily accessible from the West, directly off the M6 motorway at Lancaster. From the East a more scenic approach via the Yorkshire Dales.

Miles of rivers, walks, rolling hills for ramblers and you cycling maniacs. Doesn't get too stupidly busy as it is very much an agricultural working area rather than a tourist hot spot which quite frankly helps greatly. There are some cracking quiet secluded areas. We stayed for a week at a spacious, well priced (working) farm barn conversion and it was brilliant both in terms of the area itself but also as a great base for the aforementioned areas in the first paragraph.

forest of bowland map - Bing images

Last edited:
Another bang for your buck area that doesn't get too touristed out is the Northumberland coast and then coming inland Northumberland National Park.

North of Blyth up to Berwick (and beyond) is an incredible coastline featuring castles, Lindisfarne and some picturesque villages with great food choices. Kielder Reservoir and forest plus the Cheviot Hills area are well worth checking out pertaining to the National Park and Scottish borders area.

As always with the North East you are depending on the luck of the weather but the A1 makes the whole area accessible within an hours drive North of Newcastle.

As a general rule of thumb I would say that due to the skewed UK population centres the further North you go the more scenic, less crowded it gets. Conversely that has to be traded off with the corresponding weather patterns.

As a general rule of thumb I would say that due to the skewed UK population centres the further North you go the more scenic, less crowded it gets. Conversely that has to be traded off with the corresponding weather patterns.

where I live (not Bristol) is only an hour away from the south coast it is very scenic and not very crowded. Please don’t think the south east represents southern England because it really doesn’t.

where I live (not Bristol) is only an hour away from the south coast it is very scenic and not very crowded. Please don’t think the south east represents southern England because it really doesn’t.
Yes absolutely, I was generalising. I still reckon there are a good few places in Scotland you can go a day and not see anyone though :grinning:

Another bang for your buck area that doesn't get too touristed out is the Northumberland coast and then coming inland Northumberland National Park.

North of Blyth up to Berwick (and beyond) is an incredible coastline featuring castles, Lindisfarne and some picturesque villages with great food choices. Kielder Reservoir and forest plus the Cheviot Hills area are well worth checking out pertaining to the National Park and Scottish borders area.

As always with the North East you are depending on the luck of the weather but the A1 makes the whole area accessible within an hours drive North of Newcastle.
Had 2 fantastic holidays in Northumberland. Wonderful scenery and super heritage, ranging from The Farne Islands, Lindisfarne, The Cheviots, Alnwick and Bamburgh Castles, Seahouses...the list goes on and on. I love the light quality and the peace and quiet of it all. Went to St Abbs Head just north of the border, as well as Coldstream. Absolute Gems.
Other favourite places include Kent and East Sussex. Again, something for everyone. Love Folkestone, Dover, Canterbury and the Elham Valley in East Kent as well as Rye and Hastings in East Sussex.

Last weekend visited Shropshire, stayed near Stokesey Castle. What an unspoilt area with some wonderful walks and very few people. Ludlow is a beautiful market town with castle, river views and decent pubs. The Long Mynd near Church Stretton is an unbelievable area offering spectacular moorland views And some challenging walking. Will definitely return to the area to explore further.