Season so far player ratings | Vital Football

Season so far player ratings

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
At the end of a season we often have a thread discussing player of the season and who overall did well, but since when the season comes back it will be so different and effectively a mini season in itself i think it's fair to give overall impressions to what we've seen so far.

For me i'd go the following, please have a go yourselves and lets try and get some football chat going again.

Marshall - 6 Made some good saves at times but too many mistakes for me, i thought he was an excellent signing on paper but expected a lot more from a player of his experience. Suprised he doesn't comand his box better for his experience.

Jones - 5.5
He is capable of making some excellent saves and comands his box well but he's just not realiable enough overall, the West Brom mistake really hurt his standing for me.

Byrne - 6.5
if he could cross i think he'd be a very decent wing back at this level, but his consistently poor final ball really lets him down. If he wasn't asked to be our width and played more of a traditional full back roll the crossing wouldn't be as big an issue but in this system the lack of final ball from either full back is hurting us bady.

Sterling - 6
he's not played much but just not done enough for me when he has played either attacking or defesnively.

Robinson - 7.5
- he's come on so much and got a world of potential. If he could deliver a good cross he'd be an exceptional full back, but his lack of final ball and odd conceptration lapse holding him back at the moment. Just short of an 8 but same as Byrne the final ball in our system from our full backs is crucial and it's just not there enough.

Pearce - 7
Come in and done really well in few games he's played but not played enough to score him higher. I suspect if he'd played more he'd socre hgiher.

Naismith - 6.5
- played almost exclusively out of position which shouldn't be held against him, done really well learning CB on the job but you can tell he's not a natural there and understandably still makes a few mistakes as he is adapting. Deserves a lot of credit for coming back strongly after the Brentford disaster. Given a thankless task trying to become a CB working it out as he goes in a struggling team but coped very well under circumstnaces.

Kipre - 8 -
he clearly had potential but last season we didn't really see enough of him at his best, but since switching to right sided CB and taking more of a leadership role while all the other senior CBs were out he's grown into the season and turned into a top centre half. Certainly the most improved player, if he keep this level of performance up i think he'll be attracting a lot of interest from bigger clubs soon.

Dunkley - 6.5 -
Obviously having an exceptional season for scoring from set pieces but defensively it's been a mixed bag like it was last season. A man mountain at times but prone to mistakes. Think he's got potential to still improve further into a really solid player at this level but not got there yet.

Fox - 5 - Not seen enough of him and when we have he's fallen short of the standards he set last season. As a leader i hoped he'd be integral this season but unfortunately hardly been able to contribute and when he has it wasn't much.

Mulgrew - 7.5 - Obviously went back to Blackburn in January, thought he was a very good influence on the side and brought the best out of Dunkley. We were much better defensively with him in the side and more dangerous from set pieces. Shame we lost him but Balogun an undoubted trade up.

Balogun - 9
- Revelation since he came in. Outstanding.

Morsy - 8
- really slow start to the season but has improved rapidly later in the season and finally back to his best. Taking more responsibility attacking and with his dicipline. Captain fantastic seemed to find himself after intially struggling to work out how to co exist with Williams.

Evans - 6 - mixed bag of performance but too often not really made a telling contribution.

Williams - 8 -
Outshone everyone early season and turned out to be an exceptional signing. Finally worked out how to coexist in centre mid with Morsy and getting best out of Samy getting that extra licence to roam.

Macleod - 5.5 - He's not been used loads, but when he did he was fine on the ball but a few bad moments where he switched off cost us dearly. I think there is a decent player there but we didn't really see enough of it.

Lowe - 5.5 -
we have seen glimpses of a really talented player, but we've just not seen it enough.

Pilkington - 6.5 -
done well when he's been on, but we've just not seen him enough due to injury or not being selected. Almost certainly be higher if he played more.

Roberts - 6.5 -
Hardly played due to injuries but made some good contributions in his limited game time. Probably would've given him higher score if he played more.

Dowell - 5 -
didn't really do anything before getting injured.

Windass - 6.5 -
Made some good contributions but also fluffed his lines at other times when it came to finishing and penalties. Undoubtedly talented player who flattered to decieve. His best performances always come playing as no.10 off a target man and we didn't see enough of that.

Jacobs - 5 -
Struggled last season, continued to struggled even more this year. Had plenty of chances but hasn't delivered enough.

Massey - 4.5 -
after excelling last season he really has lost his way again this year. Had plenty of chance are but too often annoymous in games.

Gelhardt - 6
had some extremely exciting cameos in a struggling side but not able to follow that up with anything meanigful on the 1 or 2 starts he had. Top prospect but not had enough game time to really give him a higher score.

Moore - 7
started slow but improved as season went on. Overall his finishing has let him down badly but works incredibly hard with little support and team couldn't function without his physical presence. Turning into a very important player, even if he's not a goal scorer. If he could finish he'd be getting a high marks. He's basically a Heskey type, so probably needs a strike partner going forward to see the best of him.

Garner - 6.5
always makes a positive contribution when he's on, just not used enough to rate any higher.

Swap the scores of Kipre and Moore around. Other than that no complaints from me, it looks about right. Maybe an extra 0.5 for Morsy. Him, Balogan and Moore are the three who turned our season around. In the first half of the campaign, Robinson was probably our best player.