Sean Raggett G kind of, but mainly N/G | Vital Football

Sean Raggett G kind of, but mainly N/G

Interesting that he is being linked to teams of that calibre.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/west-ham-united/raggett-close-to-hammers-switch-2286187.html#/.WTGB33RwbqA

Kind of Gills, yes, definitely, when you consider that he was a junior at Gillingham ! Frustrating that this local (Gillingham) lad, a big and up and coming centre-half, was snapped up by a non-league club who likely paid the sort of fee that could have been in our reach, particularly as centre-half was, perhaps, our most urgent need all season !

I really hope that Oldaker and Mbo get a chance this coming season, we have to start putting some faith and trust in our youngsters, before someone else does !

Who was responsible for releasing him from the Gillingham academy in 2010? I know he joined the Dover Athletic academy when Andy Hessenthaler was still manager there! Andy Hessenthaler was named Gillingham manager for the second time on 21st May 2010, so I am guessing Sean Raggett joined Dover Athletic just before Hessenthaler's return to Priestfield?

Kent is the most populous county in England, there should be a plethora of young talent out there wanting to play for the Gills, but instead our kids are overlooked in favour of loanees who often couldn't give a toss.

I really hope AP and PT can also focus on the future, identifying and snapping up quality local talent. Raggett is another that has slipped by.

mozzer59 - 3/6/2017 10:42

Who was responsible for releasing him from the Gillingham academy in 2010? I know he joined the Dover Athletic academy when Andy Hessenthaler was still manager there! Andy Hessenthaler was named Gillingham manager for the second time on 21st May 2010, so I am guessing Sean Raggett joined Dover Athletic just before Hessenthaler's return to Priestfield?

Could well have been Mark Stimson, who Hess replaced.

ME2blue - 3/6/2017 11:11

Kent is the most populous county in England, there should be a plethora of young talent out there wanting to play for the Gills, but instead our kids are overlooked in favour of loanees who often couldn't give a toss.

I really hope AP and PT can also focus on the future, identifying and snapping up quality local talent. Raggett is another that has slipped by.
That's all well and good with the gift of hindsight. Should we simply buy every player who has a half decent record in non-league? The fans would like that :19:

Raggett was released by us and went to Dover. After that he went to another non-league team IIRC while we're competing in League 1. In that case surely every League 1 and 2 club missed out too, by your thinking? Given no-one in the Football League gave him a contract perhaps he just wasn't League standard at the time, at a Dover team who are difficult to judge quality-wise as they're always perennial over-achievers with increasing and suspicious consistency.

Pennock has been slating the academy system recently. What's happened? Have we lost the majority of the coaches and facilities until this Summer?

Talent spotting at our level is very much hit and miss. We need to be sure that a young player can progress to the first team if we are going to invest in their development.

Let's not forget that Steve Bruce and Micky Adams were missed by bigger clubs as was Tony Cascarino, Dave Peach, Mel Sage, Jarvis etc.

Ian Wright played in the Kent League with Greenwich Borough, Danny Wallace and Derek Hales also played non league before being picked up.

Sadly the Premier League academy system now sucks in the good young talent as we know to our cost (Ryan Bertrand), in Kent we have West Ham & Chelsea who are very active.

I agree we need to improve our local scouting network but we are competing with the London Premiership clubs as well as Millwall & Charlton.

At the time he was released, we had both Callum Davies and Connor Essam ahead of him in the youths - most likely that whoever released him considered either of those two most likely to be the long term future...

Some people lament about losing players who then go on to have successful careers elsewhere, but sometimes circumstances and timing means that they will only fulfill their promise elsewhere. For a long of younger players, the key to developing is playing time at the correct playing level - sending them on loan or the odd 10 minutes at the end of matches doesn't always do that,

Bit of a double whammy this one, as not only did we release him but there were calls to sign him last season when he was available on a free, apparently according to insiders at the club we never even considered him.

Anyone who has seen him play will vouch that he would've been at least back up ability in League 1 last season, that said given how badly we needed centre backs and how average the lot we ended up with played I imagine he would've ended up being more than just back up.

Probably out of our price range now.