Rhead v Hearn | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rhead v Hearn

SAToffeeImp - 23/11/2015 18:36

I read some interesting and applicable comments from Matthew Benham, the owner of Brentford, who has a consultancy Smartodds that provides statistical and quantitative research to football punters. "If I am looking at a striker I absolutely do not care about his goal scoring record. For me, the only thing that is interesting is how the team do collectively, offensively and defensively, within the context of an individuals performance. To give an example, back in the day, I always thought Alan Shearer gave his team an amazing outlet. He'd be there up on his own. The team would be under pressure. You knew if you hoofed it in his general direction there'd be a high chance that the ball would stick, and he'd win a foul. That is the great defensive service Shearer is offering. The fact that a front player can hold up the ball means you are not going to concede another attack."

Sounds very much like what Matt Rhead is doing for Lincoln City at the moment.
If only Alan Shearer had been as good as Rheady is!!!!! :yehaa:

I'm all for opinions, but Skelly is hosting his own contest for daftest thread of the season.

I also understand you are only taking the league into account, but the bloke scored a hat trick two weeks ago. He's not exactly misfiring is he?

Rasenimp - 23/11/2015 20:32

I'm all for opinions, but Skelly is hosting his own contest for daftest thread of the season.

I also understand you are only taking the league into account, but the bloke scored a hat trick two weeks ago. He's not exactly misfiring is he?
He is winning by a street! :clappy:

The Torquay manager wrote in the South Devonshire News that there is no more imposing pair of strikers in this division than City's Matt Rhead & Liam Hearn (that was posted a day or so before the game)
So that's a compliment to them both from an opponents manager and a good reputation to take into each game. They all fear City

There is no surprise that as soon as Rhead is having two or three players put on him in a game, the space opens up for the others and the rest of the team have started scoring more often.

sirmikealot - 24/11/2015 01:40

There is no surprise that as soon as Rhead is having two or three players put on him in a game, the space opens up for the others and the rest of the team have started scoring more often.

Do teams really put three players on Rhead? I don't think they do.

I don't think teams actually mark Rhead with anything more than the usual pressure and support roles that is employed against any attacker. Our opponents that have had success against preventing his goals are purely ensuring that the right people get the job and understand what he does and his he does it

SkellyIsWatching - 24/11/2015 07:15

sirmikealot - 24/11/2015 01:40

Do teams really put three players on Rhead? I don't think they do.

I don't think teams actually mark Rhead with anything more than the usual pressure and support roles that is employed against any attacker. Our opponents that have had success against preventing his goals are purely ensuring that the right people get the job and understand what he does and his he does it
There are none so blind as will not see! :gent: