Remembrance | Vital Football

Remembrance

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
Missed going to my local Remembrance Service today but have just watched, on TV, the service from the Cenotaph in London.

In difficult Covid related circumstances the service was conducted with the usual aplomb and dignity. Really feel for the ex-servicemen and women who have been unable to pay their respects in the usual way. For some it might have been their last opportunity. But it was still very humbling to see the small band of elderly representatives doing their march-past.

Watching these fine people from all over the world march past today`s fine young servicemen and women lined along Whitehall leaves one with a sense of endearing respect and also hope for the future.

Luckily posted on search aid for today. I say luckily as I feel privileged to have played some small part in keeping these brilliant people safe, the one day I'd gladly work for nothing. The whole thing was very eerie and quiet compared to other years. Took this just before arrival of the dignitaries, still a little misty and very quiet, its usually packed with spectators at this time.

FB_IMG_1604837725947.jpg

Doing ancestry, I've found a few that died on the fields in Ypres. My wife's 1st cousin x3 removed had five children. The first in 1910. Then three children all died within a couple of months of birth, in 1913, 1914 and 1916. His last child was born in 1917. Two months after his last child was born, Joe was blown to pieces on the fields of Ypres. No body was found, just his name on the wall there. His first and last child went on to be war heros in the second world war. I always think about what a life Joe had, and how proud he'd be of his two surviving sons. Many many stories are like Joe's though 😟

I went to Ypres years ago. It's a lovely little town and really hard to imagine the carnage visited on it 100 years or so ago. The menin gate is very moving but it was a day trip from Bruges so we weren't there for the last post

I was very fortunate to spend a few years in the 90s working on the annual El Alamein ceremony. The Commonwealth War Graves cemetery is this oasis of green in the middle of a stark desert. We flew a bugler out every year and the Last Post never failed to bring a tear to your eye.
Absolutely, a reading of Flander's fields and the last post do it for me every time 😪