Relegation - yes or no? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Relegation - yes or no?

I hope you're right mate. I'm going off your experience.

I haven't been able to see any of them...end up reading about the matches on the club page and on here. When people last season were saying getting rid of the 10 tickets in the Town End doesn't affect anyone they were wrong. I can't afford to dish out double that every week and neither can my old man. I probably won't be at a game until they roll in the Christmas specials...if they roll in the Christmas specials this season.

1/4 to be relegated with bet365 and Paddy Power, and 2/7 with Skybet. 6/4 to finish bottom and 20/1 (!) to finish top half, both with Skybet.

I voted "yes"

a) I don't remember anyone saying taking away 10 tickets wouldn't affect anyone. In fact I remember a few people complaining about it. Although admitedly it probably did fall under the radar a little in relation to the kids season tickets.

b) Not sure why the tickets costing 23 quid means you can't go at all if you say you would do it every week (well fortnight)? Surely it would mean you can only go just under every other game?
Unless of course what you're saying is you and your dad no longer see it as value for money and simply won't pay 23 quid for a single game now?

AK, I accept that support is "inelastic" to a large extent but even with the Gills there comes a point when the cost is a factor. I have to justify spending the family's money on it and that's difficult even though I'm relatively well off. When I was young, prices were cheap, say half the price of a cinema ticket IIRC. Now it's more than double and several hours pay for the millions on minimum wage. I know we are masochists to some degree but there is a limit to how much one is willing to pay for pain and misery.

not sure where you're coming from there Gills1958?? I wasn't casting judgement on anyone who didn't want to/cant/chooses other things to spend their money on.

I was simply a bit confused why blue oyster would say they would go every week if the tickets were 10 each, but can't go at all now that they are more expensive. Surely it just means you can get to fewer games i.e. one in 3 games rather than every game, not none at all. As I said, if he's literally saying that he simply won't/can't pay that amount for a single day out then I have no issue with that and am definitely not casting any judgement on it, it's each to their own - i can understand not wanting to pay 23 quid for some of the dross we serve up quite frankly - i question it myself sometimes! but I just wanted to clarify what blueoyster was actually saying.

I would assume that 10 for misery is bearable but 23 too much.

I realise that going every week for 10 is spending broadly the same as alternate games at the higher price. I think he was saying he isn't prepared to work for a couple more hours to watch dross, even for alternate matches.

BlueOyster??

It's a combination of things. #1 - I'm on the train from Faversham which costs a tenner for each of me and my farther-in-law on its own. Second, last season it cost us 15 on the day total for both of our tickets in the Town End. Now it would be 36 for the same two tickets in the Town End if we buy in advance or 40 on the day. For the Rainham End, which we used to treat ourselves to occasionally it would be 41 in advance or 45 on the day.

Now for a Wolves supporter who has no real interest in the Gills apart from it being league football, my old man has lost all interest in going now that even the cheapest option is still more than double what we paid last season and for me, 32 for a train and ticket - before beers or food - to sit on my own for an afternoon of "maybe they'll score a goal today" is very hard to justify to the misses at home when we're trying to start a family. 58's suggestion of working more hours isn't a real option for me as I'm full time salaried and attend university part time on the side.

Sorry to have dragged this thread horribly off topic, but that's the story it seems some of you are trying to understand. There were people saying it wouldn't matter when I would post threads lamenting the disappearance of the 10 tickets last season, but I'm not really feeling the idea of digging back a dozen pages to find them amongst all the "JED out" and "We're doomed with Ady" threads of last season.

BlueOyster - 6/9/2017 14:47

It's a combination of things. #1 - I'm on the train from Faversham which costs a tenner for each of me and my farther-in-law on its own. Second, last season it cost us 15 on the day total for both of our tickets in the Town End. Now it would be 36 for the same two tickets in the Town End if we buy in advance or 40 on the day. For the Rainham End, which we used to treat ourselves to occasionally it would be 41 in advance or 45 on the day.

Now for a Wolves supporter who has no real interest in the Gills apart from it being league football, my old man has lost all interest in going now that even the cheapest option is still more than double what we paid last season and for me, 32 for a train and ticket - before beers or food - to sit on my own for an afternoon of "maybe they'll score a goal today" is very hard to justify to the misses at home when we're trying to start a family. 58's suggestion of working more hours isn't a real option for me as I'm full time salaried and attend university part time on the side.

Sorry to have dragged this thread horribly off topic, but that's the story it seems some of you are trying to understand. There were people saying it wouldn't matter when I would post threads lamenting the disappearance of the 10 tickets last season, but I'm not really feeling the idea of digging back a dozen pages to find them amongst all the "JED out" and "We're doomed with Ady" threads of last season.

Are you not able to get student tickets? I remember you mentioning that you did last season - maybe that was for some away games or regarding the student season ticket?

Pretty sure there is a student rate now for individual match day tickets, a cheaper advance rate and an on the day rate that is 2 more expensive.

That's a good shout Lark!

I'll have to ring the ticket office for advice on student tickets. Last season I wasn't able to get student tickets at Gillingham because student meant U18 and 19/20 year olds who were still in 6 form or finishing out college. Hadn't thought to ask the question this season.

Last season I was able to get student tickets for Ebbsfleet, my casual support side and that's probably where you remember me talking about that from.

:7:

All you had to say really was that:

It?s now costing you just over twice as much per game, and you can?t justify the expenditure for one afternoon?s entertainment when it used to get you two afternoon?s worth. Particularly when it now means you?d be going on your own as your dad isn?t interested in the higher price at all, so actually is less entertainment.

Which aside from the bit about your dad, is basically what I asked about 2 posts ago.

P.s. not sure what the relevance of RE pricing you?ve mentioned you used to do as a treat is, as that?s not gone up significantly has it?

Can understand your reasoning though. I don?t think I?d go to gills games on my own (Fortunately I now have a 9 year old son to drag along with me instead if my dad?s not going).

For me, there?s too many gills fans these days that actually go to watch the football and only the football and expect to get some enjoyment and a fulfilling experience from that. It should be far more about the social side of a day out. If this was the case for more people then maybe we?d have less idiots posting all over social media getting angry about it all and booing and the rest of it. And actually maybe there might be a better atmosphere. I generally aim to have a decent day out win lose or draw. Last week was tough as I had just got back from holiday and was jet lagged, so didn?t enjoy it. But usually we just have a good day out with friends/family.

Whereabouts do you live Blue Oyster?

Maybe there's someone on here who could give you (and your Dad) a lift to Medway sometimes...

There must be quite a few people for who the extra train fare in addition to the overpriced match ticket, means that going to support the Gills is too expensive. It'd be good if some car sharing project was set up by fans, it'd benefit individual supporters, the club and the team, and the planet....

And probably actually be a bit more fun too! It?s always good to meet more gills fans ? especially if they are in your area too!

AK - It's not been down to entertainment this season - It can't be any worse than last season.
It's justifying to the misses. When our old man was going with me there was no question...bonding time. Now it's more expensive and me on my own she's none too keen on me throwing down 35-50 a weekend on it. I'm going to look into student tickets...that may just be a lifeline.

Budda - Faversham. I only know one other bloke who goes to the games from Faversham but his whole family goes up in one car and there's no space for me.

Sorry - i used entertainment in the loosest sense of the word. I meant an afternoon out etc.

I dont know if i've misread this, but it would appear that you can get an Adult and a student ticket in the BMS (on presentation of an NUS card), for 26 before match day. Not a bad deal. Still a little more than last year, but not quite as high as you thought.

Not sure if your old man is over 65, given you said youre at an age to start a family it's possible - if so, then that reduces right down to 22 for both of you.

Take a look at it.

Attachments

• Season Tickets2.jpg
    Season Tickets2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Interesting reading. Cheers fella!
I'm still going to ring the ticket office to make sure I'm all set.

:7:

You can sit in the Medway Upper just along from PDPS himself for 7 as a student. Pretty good deal!
https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/tickets/matchday-prices/