Really peed off tonight Newport v West 'am | Vital Football

Really peed off tonight Newport v West 'am

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Featured match on radio. It should have been us if not for a missed penalty. A win then and tonight could have kick started our season. But glass is still half full despite mates approaching me with straws.

Yea a bit like saying - we lost a cup game to the eventual winners therefore we're the 2nd best cup team in the country; all water under the bridge; but a lesson to take these early cup games seriously - what was the point of playing a 'mixed' side when we clearly needed the 'team' to gel asap; you may expect an away tie with Rochdale if you win, but....

Yea a bit like saying - we lost a cup game to the eventual winners therefore we're the 2nd best cup team in the country; all water under the bridge; but a lesson to take these early cup games seriously - what was the point of playing a 'mixed' side when we clearly needed the 'team' to gel asap; you may expect an away tie with Rochdale if you win, but....

A lesson? Why on earth after being a league club for over 100 years, most of it in financial obscurity, desperate for cash and most of the time surviving on good cup runs do we need a lesson in taking these games seriously? I would have thought our club wouldnt need to learn that lesson in the first place.

I also was a bit annoyed. For the record, they were on sky sports too. A nice payment for that, no doubt. Could have made enough to pay for another player into the budget this year.

I blame Scally - new manager, lots of new players all better than we had before and yet they still can't get their act together. I'm sure things will improve but, in the meantime, one major cup competition has passed us by.

We should have beaten a poor Newport side and progressed. However, I am not sure that automatically means we would have got West Ham as I am not sure we'd have been the same number in the draw - isn't it usually done alphabetically (I didn't see it so may be wrong)?

We should have beaten a poor Newport side and progressed. However, I am not sure that automatically means we would have got West Ham as I am not sure we'd have been the same number in the draw - isn't it usually done alphabetically (I didn't see it so may be wrong)?

Exactly my thoughts.

We would have been the same number. That doesn't necessarily mean we'd have been drawn together. Newport beating us will have set off a chain of events across the universe, which ultimately could have affected those pulling out the balls for the draw.

Why not? On paper, we would have provided more chance of an upset.

Agree, I'm sure it would. If Newport v West Ham was deemed a Sky match, us v West Ham would definitely be. More chance of an upset, Evans involved - like him or loathe him, he's box office, more fan interest, more away fans and more atmosphere being fairly local. Would have been a cracking tie, but as I say above, not sure we'd have drawn them anyway.

Agree, I'm sure it would. If Newport v West Ham was deemed a Sky match, us v West Ham would definitely be. More chance of an upset, Evans involved - like him or loathe him, he's box office, more fan interest, more away fans and more atmosphere being fairly local. Would have been a cracking tie, but as I say above, not sure we'd have drawn them anyway.

We'll never know, and West Ham were the highest profile team playing last night, but Crewe v Villa, Palace v Colchester and Crawley v Norwich were all Division 2 v Premiership last night (the last 2 were actual upsets).

I disagree that Evans is box office though, most football fans won't know who he is.

We'll never know, and West Ham were the highest profile team playing last night, but Crewe v Villa, Palace v Colchester and Crawley v Norwich were all Division 2 v Premiership last night (the last 2 were actual upsets).

I disagree that Evans is box office though, most football fans won't know who he is.

I'd suggest most neutrals keen enough to tune in to a Second Round League Cup match between a mid/lower Prem team and lower league team are the sorts to have likely heard of SE!

We should have been away to Oxford in the third round.

Yeah. And I reckon we should have got through that one too. If we could have got a “winnable” game in the next round, momentum will have taken us all the way. I wonder who we would have been scheduled to play in the final? Wow. Imagine the atmosphere and the open top bus around Medway.